Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > 129k Fantasy (Adult, Sword & Sorcery)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark | 3 comments I am seeking general feedback on a completed 129k fantasy novel called EQUO. EQUO is a character-driven story revolving around the efforts and exploits of an apprentice monster hunter. I will include the first chapter as well as a brief pitch.

I am primarily seeking general feedback, like which parts of the story you did or didn't enjoy, which characters you liked or hated, and any other opinions you may have formed while reading. Having said that, if you want to give more specific feedback (grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc.) then I won't say no.

I love sharing my writing with other people, so if you just want to read EQUO and tell me that you liked it or didn't like it, that would be great too.

If you would like to add comments to the linked chapter below, feel free.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Cheers,
Mark

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O...

Aldo Lorenzo is an apprentice Equo, a sworn defender of the land of Novondo, a slayer of all things evil, and he is possessed by a demon. A whimsical demon, perhaps, but still a demon. Aldo wants to be a hero, a figure of legend like those he worshipped as a child, and he cannot reconcile such dreams with the creature residing within his skull. So he hides his growing madness, disregarding the visions that plague him and pretending that all is well.

But reality cannot be ignored forever. His fellow Equos begin to turn on him, his master—the veteran Mya, who chose him against all the warnings of her kin—is forced to abandon him, and he is haunted by lost memories from his earliest years, of dark times when he was not himself, when he was more demon than human.

Beginning to doubt his very identity, Aldo journeys to the cult-infested city of Montidum in search of answers. There, he learns that the demons are plotting to return to the world, to end their eons-long exile, and that the key to their success may lie in his own forgotten childhood. But can Aldo refuse them? Can he damn them to another eternity of torment? The oaths he has sworn, the mentor he trusts, and the friends he loves all bind him to one side, while the betrayals he has suffered, the visions he receives, and the demon in his head bind him to the other. Upon his decision rests the fate of Novondo, and of his soul. But did it ever truly belong to him?

message 2: by Jane (new)

Jane (book-wolf) | 3 comments I beta read for this book a long time ago and absolutely adored it. It still to this day stands as one of my favorite books of all time. I'm sure it's changed a lot since I read it, but anything by Mark is fantastic.

Aldo is one of my favorite MCs, as sweet as he is heroic, but I think Mya may surpass him a bit. I fangirled just reading her name here in the blurb. xD She might be one of my most adored characters of all time.

I will be so, so excited to see this book on the shelves one day. Anyone who is lucky enough to read Equo before then should feel honored. I've strongly considered more than once opening up the document on my computer and reading it again just for fun, and being sucked into this vivid world once more with Aldo and Mya.

So, in short, yes, you want to beta read this book. ^.^

message 3: by Mark (new)

Mark | 3 comments Mary Jane wrote: "I beta read for this book a long time ago and absolutely adored it. It still to this day stands as one of my favorite books of all time. I'm sure it's changed a lot since I read it, but anything by..."

Thank you so much for the comment! The book has changed a fair bit since you read it, but hopefully it's still worthy of such praise. If you ever want to chat or anything, do send me an email. It really means a lot to hear from you in this way. Thank you again.