J.D. Robb discussion

Salvation in Death (In Death, #27)
This topic is about Salvation in Death
In Death Buddy Reads 2016 - 2021 > Salvation In Death Buddy Read - Aug. 2018

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10389 comments Mod
Our buddy read continues in August with Salvation in Death. Feel free to join in at any time. We have great discussions and a lot of fun in our In Death Buddy Reads!

Synopsis/Blurb:
Seconds after partaking of wine during a Catholic funeral mass, Father Miguel Flores is dead on the altar. Detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas confirms that the consecrated wine contained enough potassium cyanide to kill a rhino. And though the East Harlem neighborhood is a long way from the stone mansion she shares with her billionaire husband Roarke, it’s the holiness flying around St. Christobal’s that makes her uneasy.

The autopsy reveals faint scars of knife wounds, a removed tattoo—and evidence of plastic surgery suggesting “Father Flores” may not be the man his parishioners thought. Now, as Eve pieces together clues that suggest identity theft, gang connections, and a deeply personal act of revenge, she hopes to track down whoever committed this unholy act. Until a second murder—in front of an even larger crowd of worshippers—knocks the whole investigation sideways…

Timeline: May, 2060

Character List:
Eve Dallas
Roarke
David Baxter
Ryan Feeney
Mavis Freestone
Nadine Furst
Galahad
Ian McNab
Charlotte Mira
Delia Peabody
Lawrence Summerset
Troy Trueheart
Jack Whitney
List of Minor & Peripheral Characters:
(view spoiler)

Quote:
“Eve: What is it about asking you Catholic questions that gets you all jumpy?

Roarke: You'd be jumpy, too, if I asked you things that make you feel the hot breath of hell at your back.

Eve: You're not going to hell.

Roarke: Oh, and have you got some inside intel on that?

Eve: You married a cop...you married me. I'm your goddamn salvation.”

Open discussion starts Aug. 8! Looking forward to it! :)

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1312 comments I love one too. It's one of my favorite

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 589 comments I just finished this one. Has a lot in it for good discussion.

It sure does, Lisa! Looking forward to our discussion. :)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 943 comments Just finished Salvation.
Definitely one of the more convoluted storylines in the series, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Looking forward to the open discussion.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments I have it and will read it right before the 8th this month. Otherwise, I might forget something before discussion opens.

OH...need to start my reread! Only 3 more days to open discussion!

message 9: by Veda (last edited Aug 06, 2018 10:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veda  (moonchild63) | 87 comments It is in a box or tub under the stairs (long story 😵) & I just joined the grp.

I would say "Enjoy," yet (IMHO) that is a given.

Hope I can join the grp read in October.

Veda wrote: "It is in a box or tub under the stairs (long story 😵) & I just joined the grp.

I would say "Enjoy," yet (IMHO) that is a given.

Hope I can join the grp read in October."

Hope you can too, Veda! :)

This is now a spoiler zone. Feel free to openly discuss Salvation in Death!

What did you think of Salvation? What worked and/or didn't work for you in this one?

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 589 comments This instalment had a lot in it regarding faith and how some people abuse the trust and sanctity of belief and faith. A big part of it was Eve's opinions and actions and at the beginning of the book her near disrespect for religion which she has to work through while solving the case.

message 13: by Charlene (last edited Aug 09, 2018 11:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments I just finished this one [got behind on TBR pile again]. I liked the diverse religious attitudes that were covered in a serious manner. Eve and Roarke discuss many ideas here, and the legal, police and religious communities work together in ways they might not have imagined. This worked for me!

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 943 comments This was a good one.
I actually liked Father Flores in the beginning He seemed to really care about people, but the more his true identity and true nature emerged, the more I realized how evil he was and how he took advantage of the parishioners and abused their trust and faith.

The real hero was Father Lopez. His story made me really sad and made me appreciate his strength and resilience.

message 15: by Sharon (last edited Aug 14, 2018 08:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments I posted this on the wrong thread.

Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "This is now a spoiler zone. Feel free to openly discuss Salvation in Death!

What did you think of Salvation? What worked and/or didn't work for you in this one?"

I have to think about this story a little more. I love every book in the series. It is an interesting mix of gang life and religious life. I love the priest, Father Chale Lopez. He has a gift to help his constituents. He touched Eve even though she is never portrayed as religious.

I also found it interesting how Eve thought about the time she lost her badge and realized that she shouldn't--not that she couldn't--break him if she brought him in for questioning. To me that shows growth in her character. I'm not sure she would question that decision in the early books.

I agree, Sharon. I don't think Eve would have given it a second thought earlier on. That she would stop & think about it shows tremendous growth.

I always love the character development in these books. It's mostly Eve & Roarke in this one, I think. Loved the scene where Eve comes home & asks Roarke to walk around the gardens/lawn with her. These two have overcome a lot & continue breaking down barriers. I did miss getting page time from some of my other favorite support characters in this one. Some do appear, but more brief than in some of the other books...or so it felt to me.

message 17: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Aug 11, 2018 04:41PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 589 comments Yes, definitely Sandra. This one was a lot more about the crime, Eve's reaction and Rourke's support showing how strong their relationship is and how it also evolves.

SB*needs low angst books* | 886 comments Sharon wrote: "I posted this on the wrong thread.

Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "This is now a spoiler zone. Feel free to openly discuss Salvation in Death!

What did you think of Salvation? What worked an..."

I love this Sharon and agree with it all. Especially about Father Lopez and Eve's growth.

I can't remember the name of the actually murderer but I always felt so sad for her. That she was manipulated due to her grief by the accomplice who helped in the explosion that took her son was so, so sad. She had to come to terms with not only what she did which I do think she regretted in some degree since she is not a killer and that she did it because of some play on her anger and grief she was still dealing with.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Just started today (I'm a bit behind)...Will come back when I finish.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I agree, Sharon. I don't think Eve would have given it a second thought earlier on. That she would stop & think about it shows tremendous growth.

I always love the character development in these ..."

The main reason I really love this series is the character interaction and development. There was some development with Eve and Roarke and then some great moments with Peabody & McNab but not as much as I would have liked. I did enjoy this story with all the religious aspects but it won't be one of my favorites.

Karen ♐ wrote: "Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "I agree, Sharon. I don't think Eve would have given it a second thought earlier on. That she would stop & think about it shows tremendous growth.

I always love..."

That's the same way I feel, Karen. Character development is always huge for me & love all Roarke & Eve time. The case was interesting, but not one of my favorites.

Charlene (charlenev) | 284 comments This was one of the very few books in the series that I rated a 3 the first time around. Listening to the audio this time didn't change my mind...definitely not a fav.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1312 comments Every series has a bad story this is one but the back story make it a 4 star

message 24: by Phrynne (last edited Aug 21, 2018 01:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phrynne | 308 comments This was my second read of this book although I did not review it the first time round. I gave it five stars on that read but this time I had to think about all those stars because I had a few small issues.
It seemed a very long book and it took me longer than usual to read. I think the main reason was that it spent a lot of time discussing who did what and why and there were so many characters involved in this. On the other hand we got to see a lot of Eve and Roarke’s emotions and beliefs and that is always good.
I get the feeling that I do not read these books for the murders/mysteries at all! I read them for the main characters and as long as they are full of their usual action I am totally happy. Salvation in Death can keep it’s five stars from me.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Everyone's ratings are interesting to me. I find things I love in every book one of the reasons I gave every one in the series five stars. (excluding the novellas) I have read them all at least twice and listened to them again a couple times. I have my favorites that focus more in the characters' development and some that I love the procedural/murder. Regardless, I love them all.

Another thing I find interesting is that one of my favorites I rarely re-read or listen to because it is so emotional. Go figure.

Phrynne wrote: "This was my second read of this book although I did not review it the first time round. I gave it five stars on that read but this time I had to think about all those stars because I had a few smal..."

I'm also one who tends to read them for the character development. I love the relationship development in these books and always love the books that showcase this the most. I do enjoy the murder cases, but it's characters all the way for me! lol

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 943 comments While I enjoy the character development and love the interactions between Eve and Roarke and between the rest of the gang, I am definitely a plot driven reader so it is important to me that the mysteries be good. This is one of the more compelling storylines.

Michelle | 2332 comments Almost caught up to the group read!!
Haven't yet read any of the comments above but I have a question.
I keep hearing Eve say "There's a question" or something similar to it. Where did she pick it up. Have I missed something?

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Lauren wrote: "While I enjoy the character development and love the interactions between Eve and Roarke and between the rest of the gang, I am definitely a plot driven reader so it is important to me that the mys..."

I agree with you. I've talked to several people who aren't a big fan of this one. For me, the story kept me focused throughout.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Michelle wrote: "Almost caught up to the group read!!
Haven't yet read any of the comments above but I have a question.
I keep hearing Eve say "There's a question" or something similar to it. Where did she pick i..."

Good observation Michelle. I'm not sure either.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 943 comments Sharon wrote: "I agree with you. I've talked to several people who aren't a big fan of this one. For me, the story kept me focused throughout. "

Yes, it seems that we enjoyed it more than most.

message 32: by Karen (last edited Sep 26, 2018 11:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen (rhyta) | 171 comments Still running a bit behind so I just finished yesterday. It wasn't one of my favorites so it took some time to get back into the story. Perhaps it was the religious slant (not that I object to it) it took a bit more time to uncover the culprit due to the victim being a priest. It just seemed to drag a bit but I enjoyed the growing relationship between Roarke and Eve. When she asked Summerset to have Siobhan call him, that was a sweet thing to do. Then when Eve comes home one night and sees the white petunias in the flower garden, she remembers their wedding, another lovely gesture.

Michelle | 2332 comments I loved those moments as well. It really was a lovely touch.

Karen wrote: "Still running a bit behind so I just finished yesterday. It wasn't one of my favorites so it took some time to get back into the story. Perhaps it was the religious slant (not that I object to it) ..."

Beautiful scenes, Karen. Loved those as well.