NCSP Book Club discussion

Book Recommendations?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angelico (new)

Angelico Razon | 5 comments Mod
Anyone have some reading recommendations for our group? Anything anyone wants to read for our first book club session?

message 2: by Etsemaye (new)

Etsemaye | 4 comments Mod
Bob Brook's book list has tons to choose from but here are a few that we could start off with:
- The Power of Positive Deviance: How Unlikely Innovators Solve the World's Toughest Problems By Pascale, Sternin, STernin
- Antifragile: Things that Gain from Disorder By Nassim
- The Health Gap: The Challenge of an Unequal World By Marmot

Any other suggestions?

message 3: by Angelico (new)

Angelico Razon | 5 comments Mod
Thanks for the suggestions, E! I added those three to our bookshelf list. Keep the recommendations coming!

message 4: by Kirstin (last edited Jul 27, 2018 11:21AM) (new)

Kirstin Manges | 1 comments This is such a great idea!

Do we have a preference on how we want to use the “book club”?i.e., do we want to read those books that we “should read but never have time to,” or more creative/fun/inspiration, or a mixture of both?

Here is my personal read/reread list:
A. Classic business/QI/leadership
- Managing the unexpected – K. Weick & Sutcliffe
- Thinking, Fast and Slow – Daniel Kahneman (or Nudge)
- True North: Discover Your Authentic Leadership – B. George
- Switch: How to change things when change is hard – Chip Heath & Dan Heath
- Outliers - Gladwell
B. More for fun w potential application:
- The alchemist- Paulo Coelho
- The power – Naomi alderman
- Janesville – Amy Goldstein
- Dying – Cory Taylor
- Truth decay: an initial exploration of the diminishing role of facts and analysis in American public life – Kavanagh

message 5: by Jin (new)

Jin Jun | 2 comments Hi, Everyone! Just wanted to suggest Educated as one of the possible books for our book club. It's an easy and interesting read. Also, if you are looking for a movie suggestion, I highly recommend Three Identical Strangers! Happy Reading!

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric Brandt | 1 comments I am down to read whatever! Any other considerations? We could do a doodle poll or something to decide on a book. Thoughts?