Ask Arisawe Hampton discussion

2018 Intoductions - Get to know each other!

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arisawe (new)

Arisawe Hampton | 4 comments Mod
Hi everyone! Lets get to know each other here! :-)

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan Hello!

I'm a big fan of speculative fiction, and fantasy (especially with deep, awesome characters).

What types of books do you write, Arisawe?

message 3: by Arisawe (new)

My duology are epics but fairly contemporary. They are humorous too. They feature quite a few rather quirky characters. My protagonist is something of a lovable antihero that grows quite a lot over the span on the story.

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan Who are some of your influences?

I just added your book to my TBR list! It looks pretty good :)

message 5: by Arisawe (new)

Hi! I think some of my main influences are Brandon Sanderson and Terry Pratchett. I like their characters and the humor underlying their themes.

Thanks for your support!

message 6: by Don (new)

Don H.M (theayatollahofrock) | 1 comments Hey I don't know your work but I have a question I've been meaning to ask a fantasy writer.

In the realm of non fiction, it's been hammered into me to be thorough, clear and as comprehensible as possible as to never alienate less literate readers. I can write an authoritative history of Asia minor, and I can do a really good job.

Yet in transition into a fantasy, one thing that is beyond my comprehension is stuff like describing clouds shapred like gorrila turds or using sentences to say "it's morning" or all the filler between character reactions and dialogues. How do you guys approach that fluff, it's something I've never been able to understand because I thought it was always irrelevant.

I think doing too much fluffing ruins pacing but too little doesn't set mood or tone. How do you know what the right amount is?

message 7: by Arisawe (new)

Fantasy does tend to have complex imaginary themes and the writing style to match it usually is intended to support it.

I personally think it’s important to utilize a large group of betareaders before you publish your work. That being said overtly descriptive language is a subjective preference. Some, perhaps those who tend to read often or like elevated language might tend to read authors who write that why and the opposite is true. Luckily this is just one of the factors that make written work vary. I’m sure that if everyone were to write in the exact same style everyone would get bored with the lack of variety.