YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Golden Son (Red Rising Saga, #2)
This topic is about Golden Son
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > Red Rising Series by Pierce Brown - Reading from 'Golden Son (Red Rising Saga #2)' from December 9th 2019

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

✨Skye✨ | 3161 comments Darrow is a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he works all day, believing that he and his people are making the surface of Mars livable for future generations.

Yet he spends his life willingly, knowing that his blood and sweat will one day result in a better world for his children.

But Darrow and his kind have been betrayed. Soon he discovers that humanity already reached the surface generations ago. Vast cities and sprawling parks spread across the planet. Darrow—and Reds like him—are nothing more than slaves to a decadent ruling class.

Inspired by a longing for justice, and driven by the memory of lost love, Darrow sacrifices everything to infiltrate the legendary Institute, a proving ground for the dominant Gold caste, where the next generation of humanity's overlords struggle for power. He will be forced to compete for his life and the very future of civilization against the best and most brutal of Society's ruling class. There, he will stop at nothing to bring down his enemies... even if it means he has to become one of them to do so.

message 2: by Rae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rae Lake | 2199 comments Starting a little early!

message 3: by Rae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rae Lake | 2199 comments Part 1 (view spoiler)

message 4: by Rae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rae Lake | 2199 comments Part 2 (view spoiler)

message 5: by Rae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rae Lake | 2199 comments Part 3 (view spoiler)

message 6: by Rae (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rae Lake | 2199 comments Part 4 (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3161 comments Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown
Part 1 (view spoiler)

✨Skye✨ | 3161 comments Red Rising (Red Rising, #1) by Pierce Brown
Part 2 (view spoiler)

Lane (crookshanksandcoffee) | 1286 comments Iron Gold (Red Rising, #4) by Pierce Brown
Chapter 11 (view spoiler)

message 10: by roselovestoread (new)

roselovestoread (rosemariekoh) I really don't know about you guys but I'm actually finding it difficult to get a grip on this book T.T I'm like lost at where is happening and i'm not really enjoying this book alot :/ I'm about half way through the book and I can't connect to the characters

message 11: by roselovestoread (new)

roselovestoread (rosemariekoh) Ch 22 reminds me alot of hunger games. Or is it suppose to be that way?

message 12: by roselovestoread (new)

roselovestoread (rosemariekoh) I swear Darrow is just one insane person

message 13: by Sarah Elizabeth (last edited Dec 08, 2019 06:15AM) (new) - added it

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83364 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting December 9th 2019. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*****Please note that this thread cannot be used to earn bonus points in any of our challenges*****

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments I've started my re-read and I'm halfway through chapter 1 so far.
I remember loving book 2 but I'm also having trouble getting into it today for some reason. I think the (view spoiler) are my biggest issues so far but I'm optimistic and I'll report back after Chapter 3 :)

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments Just finished chapter 3 and dang, what a rough start for Darrow! I feel like the second chapter is a reminder of how broken the world is and how even though he's gained skills and confidence from his time in book 1 he shouldn't underestimate how difficult it will be to survive the world he's in now. It also does a good job of introducing the new scale of warfare that will continue from now on. No more "tame institute" actual space battles are happening! The third chapter was a nice reminder of how far Darrow's come since he was with Eo and continues to set up this world as a punishing one. Honestly hard to get through the ending there. I am excited to keep reading!

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments Chapter 1-3 :
(view spoiler)

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments Chapter 3-6 :
(view spoiler)

message 18: by Kathryn (last edited Dec 14, 2019 09:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments Catching up this weekend so I'll be posting my thoughts as I go :)
Chapters 3-6
(view spoiler)

message 19: by Kathryn (last edited Dec 14, 2019 09:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments Well dang,
Chapters 7-9:
(view spoiler)
Thanks again buddy for your patience because I can't imagine stopping now after the way of chapter 9 ended. Want to start again with chapters 10-12 today or tomorrow? I'm ready whenever :D

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments We can start on Monday. Sorry I didn’t see your message.

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments Sounds good!

message 22: by Kathryn (last edited Dec 18, 2019 01:46PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments I'm away from my computer so this won't be a well articulated post, but here are the notes I took on my phone as I went for yesterday's chapters:
(view spoiler)
I'm finishing up the next three chapters now but I'll wait for you to continue :)

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments It was annonying that angst about Eo. Yes we all knew she was with child come on. that's to much angst. Too far fetched. Yes Our hero is at his lowest We understand that very well. No need to throw it at our face twice more.

Trash ...Everyone is trash. Those with the power thinking they can do whetever then want with someone else's life because that serve their purpose (Bomb attacks to incriminate innocents and divide the mass), the rebels (Harmony You awful woman ! ) who think that they have the right to kill hundreds of innocents only to be sure of killing ONE goldy.

Both have no morals, no qualms of doing bad things for the sake of (THEIR) good.

The Jackal... Well I have a better opinion of him now. He is bad but at least he doesn't try to sugarcoat it.

The bromance is lovely. Onion ninjas !

The fight !!!!!! Awesome ! I prefer those parts. Crying doesn't suit Darrow.
Yeah Victra and Tactus are lit !

Ch. 12-15 : Oh my GAWD ! So the Sovereign was planning to erase Augustus family. Ahahah. How long is she going to last ? She clearly lost her sharpness.

message 24: by Kathryn (last edited Dec 19, 2019 07:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments I completely agree! Octavia is clearly losing her mind and Darrow seems to be the only one to care!

The Jackal is one of those guys I love to hate, but also kind of just love. His dialogue with Darrow is always quippy and interesting in ways I don't expect.

Ch 13-15: (view spoiler)

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments Chap 15-18

(view spoiler)

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments OMG! I love Sevro, he's one of my favorite characters in this series, and even though he's a gold, I always picture him as a young Snape so that's funny that you brought up Snape as well! (Sevro/Severus, not a huge stretch lol!)

Chapter by chapter thoughts:
(view spoiler)

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments Ch. 19-21 :
Me while reading those chapters

(view spoiler)

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments Haha me too! These were intense!
I noticed I take more notes when the gangs all there so I have a lot of notes for these chapters so bear with me
Ch. 19-21
(view spoiler)

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments I also forgot to note I love that he renamed it the Pax <3

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments Kathryn wrote: "I also forgot to note I love that he renamed it the Pax <3"
Yeah so many feels. urg Onion ninjas !
(view spoiler)

message 31: by Kathryn (last edited Dec 27, 2019 07:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments OMG Sevro I know <3
Ch. 22-24
(view spoiler)

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments Hello again and continued Happy Holidays! I'm posting my chapter thoughts early today :)
Ch 25-27:
(view spoiler)

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments Ch. 25-27
(view spoiler)

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments Hi again! I missed posting yesterday since I wasn't by a computer but I read all the chapters. I'll post 28-30 first and wait for your thoughts on those chapter before posting 31-33. It's getting so good I can't wait to see where it's going from here!

Ch 28-30
(view spoiler)

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments Happy New year ! Hope you stay Healthy for the whole year !

Ch 28-30
(view spoiler)

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments Happy New Year! and HAHAHA at the legos, I worked my nanny job today and had that almost happen to me! Yikes! Again I have more chapters read than I had time to post about.

Ch 31-33:
(view spoiler)

and I can share my thoughts on the next 3 chapters whenever you're ready as well :) With the Holiday's behind us I'm ready to roll :)

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments Ch 31- 36
(view spoiler)

We are near the end of the book. If I remember well, you have book 3. Would you like to read with me ? I don't have it now, but I can buy it. No pressure. If you don't wish to, it's okay with me too.

message 38: by Kathryn (last edited Jan 04, 2020 06:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments I was just thinking the same about nearing the end! I would love to continue and read the 3rd book with you. I was going to ask as well but didn't want to pressure you if you didn't have it yet either :)
Ch 34-36
(view spoiler)

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments No rush but I wanted to post my thoughts on the next chapters before bed.

Ch. 37-39:

(view spoiler)

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments Sorry kinda late but I received my furnitures for my home tiny library and well building and pick out books is time consuming.
Kinda empty for now but will do my best to change that.

I bought the next book. I am waiting for it. :-)

(view spoiler)

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments Library building is a priority I totally understand! I haven't been able to read yet today so I'll post tomorrow :)
Hope the library building is going well :D

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments Kathryn wrote: "Library building is a priority I totally understand! I haven't been able to read yet today so I'll post tomorrow :)
Hope the library building is going well :D"

Don't worry take your time.
Oh dear I am so happy with it that I bought more books from a B/S/T group. I have no control. XD

(view spoiler)

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments Ch 40-42

(view spoiler)

message 44: by ~*Delphine*~ (last edited Jan 08, 2020 06:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments Ch 43 -45

I bought also the last book (5) because I found one signed. I only need to buy the 4th and I will have the whole set.

(view spoiler)

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments Yay! I'll keep doing this buddy read til we're out of books if you want to! :D

Ch. 43-45
(view spoiler)

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments Ahh! So close to the end :)
Ch 46-48
(view spoiler)

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments Ch 47-49

Yeah hope the third book arrives fast lol

That would be super duper nice to read the whole serie with you :-)

I really love that author. Come on. He knows how to make it interesting. As you said, people have room to change. Either they are better, or worst but there is an evolution. Once you hate them, then you pity them. Once you love them then you loathe them.
Action, sentiments, etc. A good package.
I want it as a serie or a movie.

ALL HAIL MUSTANG, SEVRO AND RAGNAR ! They deserve all the love !

(view spoiler)

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments Yay! I actually couldn't wait since we were so close to the end so I went ahead and read the last 3 chapters as well :)
Let me know when your book arrives and you're ready to start #3. I'm so glad to have a buddy for this series because omg I need emotional support for this. I couldn't agree more with your comments on the author as well :)

Ch 49-51 aka THE END!
(view spoiler)

Oh my goddess what an ending. I knew it would be a cliffhanger but dang! As I said before, I'm so glad we're reading this together and I'm so excited for book 3 :D

~*Delphine*~ | 70 comments

I can't speak. I am too overwhelmed by the ending.

(view spoiler)

I need a psychotherapy ! I am going to send the receipts to Pierce Brown !

Kathryn (batkat08) | 70 comments Haha exactly! So many questions, and you're so right, the Jackal is a great villain. We all knew not to trust him and that something was coming but Brown is great at exceeding expectations. The ending was just so brutal and what a cliffhanger!
*fingers crossed* for speedy delivery!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.