Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > 97,000 word (230 page) speculative/dark fantasy/historical/adventure novel - seeking BETAs

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Michael (dreamersalexander) | 27 comments Hi everyone. I'm looking for betas for my finished novel. I'll be sending it to my editor soon, I just wanted to get some feedback on story flow, pace, whether or not it makes sense, all the basic stuff. There is one precise thing I would ask- at the end is an epilogue that sets up my shared world/series. I'm wondering if it works or if I should cut out the epilogue altogether.

Title:

Beulah June

Plot:

In Australia, a depressed and heartbroken writer in the present sits in his now empty paradise mansion and dictates a true story from long ago, not knowing if anyone will ever read his work. He is musing on suffering so he will forget his own. He tells a tale set in the 1500s, Cornwall, of a blacksmith who meets a very special woman named Beulah June, a woman with the soul of Mother Earth. At this tale's seeming finale, the writer fast forwards to 2001, a year that some dub the beginning of the Age of Fear, which is still continuing to this day. A cheated postman leaves London and simply drives. He ends up in that very town in Cornwall, and the events of his stay there begin to mirror the tragic yet wondrous events of the blacksmith and the 'witch' 500 years before, as he too discovers what they discovered.

This is a story about stories, and how everyone is connected - including you and I. Souls from 500 years ago, and those in more recent years, are thrust into the realms of love and the dangers that come with it; they find revelation in the form of the mysteries and answers the world has to offer, oblivious of the fact a man in the future is sitting in a room and thinking about them, trying to claw out of the miasma of his own life. This is a story about change, and the planet, and the battle between Nature and Man, and hope for the planet's future. It's a story about love, and the dangers of doing the right thing in the midst of corruption.

There is some erotica, but I feel that the only trigger here might be the pro-veganism subtext, but I don't preach. It's a book about the planet and my love of animals, yet it's also an adventure which sets up an entire series mixing adventure/horror/dark fantasy/mystery/erotica/sci fi. This book is a peaceful introduction to all that. It is standalone - it's only the epilogue that sets up the series, so I want to ask if I should keep it or not.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

message 2: by Shivani (new)

Shivani | 8 comments Hi, I’m interested. Is it too late?

message 3: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Michael (dreamersalexander) | 27 comments Not at all. Do you have an email?

message 4: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Michael (dreamersalexander) | 27 comments Thank you very much by the way :) I'm happy to read something of yours if you like.

message 5: by Shivani (new)

Shivani | 8 comments sparkycomet@gmail.com
:) And no , I dont have anything right now.