Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Weekly Checkins > Week 30: 7/20 - 7/26

Comments Showing 1-50 of 150 (150 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Sara (last edited Jul 26, 2018 05:23AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Happy Thursday!  I’m traveling again this week.  I’m on a mini reading retreat while my daughter is visiting with her father for a few days (I’m the transport).  I visited The Hermitage just east of Nashville yesterday, and today I am hoping to make the pilgrimage to Parnassus Books!!  Also much reading is being done as I lounge around.

Admin stuff - We are still looking for a few more group read leaders! Next week starts the discussion for The Night Circus. If you are willing to throw out a few discussion questions for that book please let me or Nadine know! And thank you to all that have volunteered to far this year. You guys are the best :)

Finished:

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne.  I finished this fun romance last week but forgot to include it in my check-in.  I love the way these two battle each other with various “games” as they work side by side, hating every minute of it...until they don't.  Enjoyable read.

All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin – I don’t read a lot of contemporary domestic drama books, and I think this may be my first by Giffin, but I was intrigued by the plot.  A photo is taken of a teenage girl who is passed out at a party. The photo spreads through the community of an elite prep school in Nashville and the fallout that follows.  The book was pretty good, but it felt like she lost her momentum at the end. Using for a problem facing society today. This is a hard topic for me with a preteen girl who is fast approaching the age of social media and hard choices.

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas.  This is book 2 in the series which lived up to its reputation as better than the first!  All the heart eyes for Rhys, and that ending! Gah! I didn't see that coming.

The Wedding Date by Jasmine Guillory.  Another fun romance. Drew finds himself stuck in an elevator just days away from the wedding of his friend and his ex-girlfriend.  And his date for the wedding cancelled! Enter Alexa - stuck in the elevator with him, thankfully fortified with wine, cheese and crackers.  What begins as a weekend masquerade develops as these two hurdle unsuspectingly toward love.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - continuing my reread of the series on audio.

Seven Stones to Stand or Fall by Diana Gabaldon – finished up this collection for my book about time travel.

31/50

Question of the week:

I know many of you are numbers geeks like me, and there are some little known treasures in Goodreads that can feed the need for reading stats.  Did you know you can calculate what your average page count per book is for the year? To find this out follow these steps:

In a web browser go to Goodreads.com and click on “My Books”.  
On the left sidebar, scroll down to “Your Reading Activity” and click on “Reading Stats”
Note how many books you’ve read this year then click on “pages” at the top.
Divide the number of page you’ve read this year by the number of books.

I suggest going back at the very end of the year to see where you end up!

I have read 60 books and 22,972 pages so far this year.  This averages to 383 pages per book. I’ve made it my goal to bring this average up to 400 pages by the end of the year.  I’m reading a few large tomes right now with a couple more scheduled for this year. Hopefully that will take care of it!

message 2: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1183 comments It's finally looking like we'll get some rain this weekend. Gardens and farms need it and the novelty of hot weather has definitely worn off now! I'm doing the Dewey's summer readathon on Saturday (they've reversed the start times, so I won't be around at the beginning), so I'm looking forward to a day of reading.

No challenge progress for me this week. I read Tarnished City and Bright Ruin, I rarely read series books back to back these days so it was fun to just indulge for a few days.

I am still listening to The Diviners, I really like the narration and even if some of the accents are probably a bit silly it fits the time period and story so well. Still, I think it is a little over-long and meandering. It feels like I'm getting to the climax but Libby says I've got 3.5 hours left!

33/50 | 64/100

QOTW:

I've been sorting out stats this week for my (slightly late) quarterly stats post on my blog. Goodreads is so useful for this (although I also keep other spreadsheets for purchases, demographics, etc).

I've read a total of 22252 pages over 64 books which averages out at 348 pages per book. Not surprising to me as I've read a mix of novellas, comics and novels, and honestly, I'm often put off by chunksters.

message 3: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 299 comments Good morning from Columbus! I’ve mostly been catching up on Netflix and podcasts so I only finished one book.

The Cafe by the Sea a goodreads summer challenge pick. Not what I was expecting, more Scottish and less east coast warm sunny beach kinda book. It was fine, not amazing but it had more substance to it than I’d expect from a beach read.

Qotw: I’ve read 33767 page from 90 books which averages to 375 pages. I’ve read a few heftier classics but also a lot of short story collections and smaller books. Usually my picks are in the 350 range.

message 4: by Johanne (new)

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 1301 comments Hi all!
Didn't read much this week. We visited my father and his wife in another part of Denmark, so a lot of family goings on with siblings, nieces, nephews and my own kids. We went swimming, walking, shopping, and visited the local amusement park (we managed to be there almost the entire opening time). A good week, but eventful.

I read Love Machine, a bit too predictable romance, but the writing was okay. Light read for bedtime reading after long days of aforementioned activities.

I started Children of Blood and Bone and reading a chapter here and there in A Short History of Drunkenness.
On monday I'm back to work and one positive thing about that is that I will pick up listening to Trækopfuglens krønike (The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle) on my bike ride.

Qotw:
I have read 118 books so far this year and 21007 pages, which makes the average length of my books 178 pages. This makes perfect sense, since I read quite a few picture books and childrens books. I even think it's quite high considering the standard length of picture books is 32 pages. I have no wish to read longer books generally.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 777 comments Busy, busy week back at school after the mid year break and trying to pick up the dramas left for y12 chemistry by the teacher who quit over the break. Those poor kids only have 13 weeks to finish their course, prep for exams and deal with a change if teacher. Makes me furious. The kids have been amazing though even when my class from last semester (y9) started yelling at them that they stole their teacher. Y8s have not been quite as harsh to the y11 chem lot, but teachers quitting has a major knock on effect on loads of classes and I can't understand how anyone would do it that close to exams and be able to sleep at night. We are there for the kids after all.......

finished:
The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... (I think it was last weekend, maybe?) which was interesting but sad. Worth the read if you are curious about people who are a bit crazy and risk everything for obsession.
and a y8 activity book plus y9 activity book so I could finish the courses for my old classes to hand to the new teachers and not leave the kids in a mess.

Currently reading The Night Circus but not making headway very fast due to all the chemistry texts and kids drafts I am also reading (at least the kids are working and trying to make the best of things).

QOTW:
I do remember lots of random numbers e.g. apparently I remembered the specific heat capacity of water today (4.2 Jg-1 2s.f. if you want to know) which I had last used in 2009.
I am not much of one for learning things on the computer unless a student shows me, then I do remember for some odd reason. Hence I know I have read 60 books this year but have no idea how to find out how many pages in total without going and looking in all the books. If anyone wants to tell me I'll have a look. Like Johanne I'm not really concerned over book length. If I enjoy reading it or learn lots from it then it was worth reading it.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 720 comments I finished my Goodreads challenge this week! I've read 50 books. Now, to finish the PopSugar challenge ...

Finished
How to Be a Wildflower: A Field Guide - This is a really beautiful art book about nature and outdoor life. The drawings are gorgeous and I'd like to try some of the recipes. Lavender lemonade sounds amazing.

The Royal We (author with your name) - I like fiction about royalty, but I think I like fictional royalty better than fictionalized royals. I thought this was a little too long and I didn't care for the ending. But if the authors write a sequel about Prince Freddie, I will read it!

Big Little Lies (characters are twins) - I really enjoyed this book. I think the covers of Liane Moriarity's books put me off for a long time, but I'm glad I got past that because the story was great.

Hallowe'en Party (a book about Halloween) - A lot of people have said this isn't one of Agatha Christie's best. I can't be sure since it's only the second one I've read, but I liked it.

Reading
Nightfall - Still. I set it aside to read some library books that are due back soon.

The Death of Mrs. Westaway - This is my lunch hour audiobook. The time flies by when I listen. I've had to start setting the sleep timer so I don't take an extended lunch every day!

QOTW
I love the Reading Stats! Also, the Year in Books pages are a lot of fun to look through too. I've read 16,995 pages in 50 books for an average of 340 pages per book.

message 8: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 739 comments I finally finished Second Glance as my death/grief book. It was ok. I'm not sure how much my being sick and skipping four or five days of reading affected my enjoyment.

I have just started The Leopard Hunts in Darkness as my book with an animal in the title. So far so good, I guess. Only on page 30 something.

QOTW: Thus far this year, I have read 37 books, 15157 pages, wich is an average of 409 pages per book. I'm actually surprised it's that high, because I would think Wizard of Oz and Notes from a Blue Bike would have pulled down the average. Altough, another thing to note is I have a few non-fiction books in there, and I don't read the indexes and appendixes, and most of the notes.

message 9: by Anabell (last edited Jul 26, 2018 06:16AM) (new)

Anabell | 354 comments I am currently at 41/52 so well on my way.

Am still reading for my summer romance reading challenge and by change one of them had Holloween in it so yay got one more for the posugar reading challenge. I love how sometimes things just come together. I hadn't picked a book for that prompt so perfect.

I finished:
Wrong Number, Right Guy
Wrong Place, Right Time (Halloween prompt)
The Pearl Sister The 5th in the series should come out in november, so am hoping to read it for the prompt ''...published in 2018'' just hope it will make it to Denmark before the year is over...

Currently reading:
A book involving a heist The Lies of Locke Lamora
A book from a celebrity book club Women Who Run With the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype Can't figure out what I think of this book. It is taking me forever to finish it. There are some interesting things and then there are some really long borring descriptions but later on some of the more borring stuff make sense... Not giving up yet.
A book recommended by someone else taking the POPSUGAR Reading Challenge Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch Having some issues with this book. Has borrowed it 3 times and only get like 50 pages along before I have to return it. Which is weird as I quite like Neil Gaiman and his humor. But maybe I just haven't been in the mood when it became available on overdrive... hmmm.... I will give it one more change or maybe two.

QOTW: Uhhhh.... I love stats and numbers. Bring it on.
So far I have read 68 books of 23279 pages which is an average of 342 pages per book. (Though not quite sure how they count audiobooks.)

message 10: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 660 comments Hello all!

Spent much of this week scrubbing the kitchen top to bottom -- walls, ceiling, inside and outside of cabinets, etc. You don't realize what kind of dirt and gunk your house accumulates over time, even with frequent "surface" cleaning, until you do a thorough deep cleaning. *shudders*

I'm finished with the actual challenge, but still logging the books I read here. Now my goal is to finish the various series I've begun...

Books I read this week:

The High King -- the final book in the "Chronicles of Prydian" series, and a satisfying but bittersweet conclusion to what's become a favorite series.

The Lady's Slipper -- I don't normally read historical fiction, but this one (which deals with the theft of a rare flower and could work for "book about a heist") intrigued me by its summary. Alas, it's hard to care about a novel when you want to strangle every single one of its characters...

My Friend Dahmer -- graphic novel about the author's relationship with serial killer Jeff Dahmer in high school, before Dahmer would go on to become a monster. The art style takes a little getting used to, but the story is quite chilling.

DNF:

The Arrivals and Animal'z. The first one just wasn't doing anything for me, and the second was so convoluted it ended up losing me partway through. I wonder if the fact that "Animal'z" was a translation from another language was an issue...

Currently Reading:

Prudence
The Illustrated Man
Of Cinder and Bone
And still hacking away at the collection of Lovecraft's stories...

QOTW:

I've read a total of 113 books -- 32,538 pages -- this year, which averages out to 288 pages per book. Makes sense, as there are quite a few graphic novels and chapter books in there. I enjoy a longer novel from time to time, but one of my pet peeves is novelists who write long books just for the sake of writing long books (or because they just found out they get paid by the word...)

message 11: by Chrissi (last edited Jul 26, 2018 06:43AM) (new)

Chrissi (clewand84) | 229 comments The week I finished Ready Player One for the PopSugar cyberpunk prompt. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Learned a lot of 80s and videogame trivia in the process.

Also finished Girl in the Blue Coat - a YA WWII novel set in Amsterdam. I also enjoyed this book. I think the characters are ambiguous enough so that you walk away wondering who really is a hero at such a time - and who might end up being a villain. The mystery of the Girl in the Blue Coat, along with the tense background of the war and roundups, kept me reading until the end.

All of my library holds bombarded me this week - Red Clocks, The Boat Runner, Tangerine, Strangers in Their Own Land: Anger and Mourning on the American Right, Number One Chinese Restaurant, Sugar: The World Corrupted: From Slavery to Obesity, China Rich Girlfriend, and The Room on Rue Amélie have all come in and are begging to be read. It's a good variety of different genres, so I grabbed three for an upcoming road trip this week with some Audible listens. I have three weeks to wrap them up. They're not really PopSugar reads, but they've been on my Goodreads list for ages. I'm using that library card like a shopaholic uses a Visa.

QotW:

I've read 47 books so far out of my 50 Goodreads challenge, and 43 out of 50 for Popsugar. My stats rounded out to 14,986 pages so far, with an average number of 320ish pages per book. I'd like to bring this up to about 350 by the end of the year, though I see that I tend to like books around the 250-350 mark. Most of these authors get it within those pages. I dislike 400+ page books where the author rambles, or it's filled with material that really could have been edited better.

message 12: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 540 comments I only finished Uncommon Criminals. I can't use it for the challenge but I still enjoyed it. We have weekend guests and I have more work training next week so we'll see how much reading I can squeeze in.

Regular 26, advanced 6, non-challenge 8

QOTW Books Read - 40, Total Pages - 14628, average 365 pages.

message 13: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments Hello all. I'm still at 45/50. I read 3 books this week. None for the challenge.

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng - group read
Batman: The Dark Knight, Volume 4: Clay by Gregg Hurwitz
Batman/Superman, Volume 1: Cross World by Greg Pak

QOTW:

I check my stats all the time, usually when I've just finished a book and it's late so I don't want to start a new one.

I have read 77 books this year out of 100 for my reading challenge (I increased it from 75). 24,986 pages. The average length of book is 324, ranging from 44 pages (Evangeline) to 759 (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows). My average rating is 3.8 (I guess I'm a generous reviewer).

message 14: by SarahKat (new)

SarahKat | 163 comments Anabell wrote: "(Though not quite sure how they count audiobooks.)"

It depends on if you go through the trouble of finding the exact "edition" of audio book you are reading. Usually, I just click the edition that the cover looks like, and in that case, it would count the number of pages that edition of the physical book has.

However, on a few audio editions on Goodreads, it had the "pages" listed as the number of discs. So when I listened to Miserable Mill, it said it was 3 pages. Because of this, I usually just go with what the physical book would be because I'm investing 100+ pages of time into it, not just 3.

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments As predicted, it was a crazy busy and tired week with my family in town. My parents stayed with us from late Thursday last week through early Tuesday morning, and with all the social stuff going on during that time, this introvert is still very tired.

Finished Reading:
Quest for a Maid I almost didn't have any finished books this week, but I ended up having time after Bible study last night to finish up this one for my 'related to your ancestry' prompt. I'm so glad I DNF'd Girl in a Cage and read this one instead! Good characters, and much better historicity (even with some liberties taken with the 'real story' going on behind what's recorded in history).

Currently Reading:
I'm still in the middle of everything I mentioned last week, though I think the only other book I made progress on was How the Irish Saved Civilization (for 'book set in a country you're fascinated by').

Last night I started Wolves and Daggers just for a fun, light read. I'm not super impressed with the writing style--the story seemed interesting enough to stick with it anyway, but also I'm not standing firmly be either of those opinions until I pick it up again when I'm slightly less tired. :-)

QOTW:
I was a little embarrassed by my low page count earlier this year, especially since I'd already passed my number of books read last year, but hadn't matched last year's page count yet, until I remembered that I've been listening to a lot of audiobooks which always have weird page counts.

My official math is 145 books, 31371 pages, averaging to 216 pages per book. This already not too bad considering I discovered manga this year and have read some middle grade books I really enjoyed :-)

If you subtract out the audio books with weird page counts (I read one audio book that uses the page count from the print format, but 15 others that count anywhere from zero to eleven pages for the whole book) it's 130 books, 31312 pages, averaging 241 pages per book. It's not a particularly high average, but I'm okay with the fact that I'm reading a lot of easy books right now, as long as I'm enjoying them and throwing in a few 'useful' books sometimes.

message 16: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 354 comments SarahKat wrote: "Anabell wrote: "(Though not quite sure how they count audiobooks.)"

It depends on if you go through the trouble of finding the exact "edition" of audio book you are reading. Usually, I just click ..."

I was thinking they might do that. I don't always look if its the audiobook/ebook/paperback/hardbook that I add to my TBR list so when I start reading I just change the one already on my TBR to 'Currently reading'. Maybe I should pay more attention to it.

message 17: by Tania (new)

Tania | 543 comments I have not had much reading time the last two weeks which means no completed books to report this week. First we were away on vacation, then we had friends stay with us on their vacation. Lots of fun, though, so no complaints here.

QOTW: I've read 84 books and 22008 pages this year, averaging out to 262 pages per book. I'm good with that number, I don't have specific page goals - I just want to read good books and you can't judge a book by its length. :-)

message 18: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 427 comments Good afternoon. It's currently 35 degrees here in London. AKA too hot! Luckily I worked out how to turn the air con by my desk on.

This week I finished two books taking my total to 29/50

Read
Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit - Up there with my favourites of the year. I love how Jeanette Winterson managed to inject so much humour into quite a sad story. I really want to read Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? to see how much of this book was from her real experience and also where her life went from there. - This is my book with fruit or veg in the title

The Cartel - This wasn't as good as The Power of the Dog but still very enjoyable (if you can use that word for a book with so many horrendous atrocities) The author dedicated this book to a long list of Mexican journalists who were killed whilst reporting on the drug wars. Bone chilling stuff and it really makes you think about all the players in the drug trafficking world and why the 'war on drugs' will. sadly, never succeed. - This is my book about a villain or anti-hero (this book really humanises some of the key players in the drug trade despite the horrible stuff they do)

Currently reading
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Finding this really hard to get into, I don't like the writing style and it all seems a bit erratic
The Woman in Cabin 10 - Getting in on the group read right at the end of the month! I am loving this so far especially the unlikable and unreliable narrator

QOTW
I don't need to use Goodreads for this because I'm such a nerd that I keep a reading spreadsheet! Does anyone else do that?

I have read 29 books this year and 12,084 pages with an average of 417 pages. I'm not really surprised by that as I like to read long books and have read quite a lot of them this year. My spreadsheet also breaks down my page length into groups so I know that I most commonly read books between 300 and 399 pages (34%) followed by 200-299 (14%) and 500-599(14%) weirdly I haven't read many books between 400-499, maybe one authors reach 400 they think they may as well shoot for 500!

Full stats below if anyone's interested

<100 1 3%
100-199 2 7%
200-299 4 14%
300-399 10 34%
400-499 2 7%
500-599 4 14%
600-699 2 7%
700-799 2 7%
800-899 2 7%

message 19: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1183 comments Jen wrote: "Hence I know I have read 60 books this year but have no idea how to find out how many pages in total without going and looking in all the books. If anyone wants to tell me I'll have a look. "

Jen, according to Goodreads you've read 18101 pages so far this year (the easiest way to get to this is to go to your profile, go to where it shows your list of shelves and click stats).

Anabell wrote: "Though not quite sure how they count audiobooks."

I select the UK print edition for my audiobooks because I don't like how audiobooks are often square covers or just terrible artwork for some reason. I just put them on an audiobooks shelf so I know I listened rather than read.

message 20: by Tara (last edited Jul 26, 2018 08:02AM) (new)

Tara Nichols (tarajoy90) | 167 comments Happy Thursday! It's been insanely hot here in the Phoenix area - like 116-degrees hot - so I've just been trying to stay inside as much as possible. But today we're going back-to-school clothes shopping because the kids start school on Monday! Woohoo!

Finished
The Woman in White (book with alliteration in title) The Victorian era is my favorite classics era. I love Dickens, the Brontes, and Elizabeth Gaskell, but this was my first Wilkie Collins. It's a mystery, and possibly the first ever mystery / psychological thriller. It's about a mysterious woman, and some really bad dudes, and how women basically had no rights back in the 19th century. I enjoyed it and look forward to reading other books by Collins.

City of Dreams: The 400-Year Epic History of Immigrant New York (book tied to your ancestry) I've been slowly making my way through this door-stop of a history book, and finally finished it yesterday! If you're at all interested in immigration, history, or New York, I highly recommend it. It's long, but not a difficult read, as Anbinder writes in a very compelling and readable way. And it's fascinating. I chose to read it because I had learned that my ancestor on my dad's side was an early settler in New Amsterdam. He apparently "owned" Coney Island, but never actually set foot there because there were Native Americans living there that were possibly not thrilled that this white dude had decided that he owned their land (ugh - the history of our country is often, well, not great). He was not mentioned in the book, but I did learn that he was from the same German town on the Dutch border that the founder of New Amsterdam, Peter Minuit, was from - Wesel. I wonder if they knew each other.

Challenge Progress
Completed 48/52 - so close! (38/42 regular, 10/10 advanced)

Currently Reading
Animal Dreams (book with ugly cover)
Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver

My Southern Journey: True Stories from the Heart of the South - listening on audiobook

QOTW
This is so cool! I'd never seen the Reading Stats option before. I have read 68 books this year and a total of 20,884 pages, with an average of 307 pages a book. But the really cool part of this was seeing how this year compares to years past. This challenge has inspired me to read more books than I ever have. Last year was the most books I had read in a year ever as an adult, and that was 44 books total and 14,923 pages. Now, it's not even August, and I've already WAY surpassed that, which I am really, really thrilled about.

message 21: by Anne (new)

Anne (annefullercoxnet) | 202 comments I am finally back from Montana (I had a wonderful time) and am settling into "real" life. I didn't keep track of what I was reading each week, but I did read several books while I was there. I am pleased with my book count considering how much I was doing with family I don't often see.

I think I read three books since last Thursday. I read:
The Summer List- a nice light read for the dock at our mountain lake house.
Slightly South of Simple- a book with alliteration in the title. Also a good dock read.
Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk- which I enjoyed and promptly gave to my mother as I knew she would enjoy it as well.

QOTW: I have read 37,664 pages over 127 books which brings my page count to 297 per book. This makes complete sense as I spend a lot of the year reading books for young people for my youth book committee.

Happy Reading!

message 22: by Chrissy (last edited Jul 26, 2018 08:28AM) (new)

Chrissy | 364 comments It’s been a couple weeks since I last posted - oops!

This week I finished:
The Devotion of Suspect X on audio, as a book of genre fiction in translation for Read Harder, I think. I enjoyed it, had a little different feel from American or British mysteries.

Six-Gun Snow White for AtY, book with a Clue weapon on the cover. I thought this was beautiful and creative. Loved it! (It is also quite short, if you are looking for something for this week’s AtY prompt.)

The Feather Thief: Beauty, Obsession, and the Natural History Heist of the Century for Popsugar #2, true crime. A great choice if you would rather avoid serial murder and violence. The thing about true crime is there is rarely a satisfying conclusion in terms of justice, and this was not an exception really. But I loved the insight into a weird subculture and the historical background.

QOTW: I also keep a reading spreadsheet, which is good because I also do a lot of audiobook which would skew my pages per book down. So far, I average 346 pages per book over 62 books. I also have listened to 24 audiobooks with an average length of 10.9 hours (although in many cases I listen at 1.15 or 1.25x speed).

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane  Lupton | 136 comments Since my last check in I have completed the following books:
Lies That Bind Us - prompt from previous year - unreliable narrator
The Liberation of Gabriel King - decade I was born - 1970s
Amal Unbound - book I borrowed
The One and Only Ivan - meant to read in 2017 - it has been on my shelf for awhile so I guess that counts
Beyond the Tall Grass - ugly cover - sorry but it is
Gwendy's Button Box -has two authors
The Wind in the Willows - weather element in the title

Thanks to whoever told me The Picture of Dorian Gray was made into a play, and whoever recommended A Man Called Ove in this group, I was able to open and move some prompts so I could fit all of my books so far.

27/50 (9 more than last year already!)

QOYW - I am a complete math and numbers geek so I appreciated you pointing this out. I average 337 pages. I'm sure that went down this past week because I read 4 books under 200 pages for the 24in48 marathon. (Don't judge, I'm a slow reader lol)

message 24: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 731 comments I’ve had a good reading week. Particularly on Monday - we took the kids to an indoor playground and my husband ran around with them for four hours while I read. But - I so wanted to finish my ebook yesterday, there’s only maybe an hour of reading left and then I would have finished off a print book, an audiobook, and an ebook in the same day, but I fell asleep too quickly to accomplish it!

The Vacationers - I read this for the Goodreads Summer Challenge. A family all goes on holiday together in spain and everyone's relationships go through some change. It was fine - light, fluffy beach read type thing. I enjoyed it but this isn’t normally my thing, beach reads, so while I’m glad I was pushed into it by the prompt, I’m not a convert.

The Red Umbrella - this was also just a fine read. It’s about kids being sent out of Cuba during the revolution. The teenage daughter is a bit annoyingly clueless about the danger at the beginning and her character is rather shallow as well. There are some unnuanced statements about capitalism made by the father as well that really annoyed me - like why should other people get what he worked so hard to earn, as if poorer people just didn’t work hard - it was in character for a banker in a country going communist, I’m sure but it annoyed me. But I definitely felt like I gleaned a few things about the time period and events, so worth the read in the end. It went into the summer challenge.

Platero y yo - this was rough to get through - it’s a 1001 Book and earlier in the year I accidentally requested a child’s picture book version of it. This was the full book and I really struggled with getting through it. The writing is beautiful but there’s no plot at all and I felt like I just couldn’t keep focused - each paragraph I read sort of slipped out of my brain the moment I was done with it. It feels like the setting is much further in the past than it is. Maybe if you really like donkeys? I think I managed to stick this in the summer challenge somewhere.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - this was a relisten- but it’s interesting because before my recent conversion to audiobooks in the last four years, I had only ever listened to two books on tape - this and Asterix in Gaul. I’ve reread it as a paper book several times and decided to relisten to the audio with Stephen Fry. Loved it! Also a summer challenge book.

Currently I’m listening to When Dimple Met Rishi and I have a tiny bit of The Wasp Factory to finish off.

QOTW: I have read 181 books so far this year at a total of 37358 pages. That’s 206 pages per book. Which, considering that some of the books in my yearly count are picture books, is okay with me. I’m also trying to knock off a bunch of 1001 books this year and so I’ve been using the app to sort them by length to get some of the shorter ones ticked off. The longest book I’ve read this year was Sleeping Beauties at 702 pages and there have been a few others that came close to that as well.

message 25: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 694 comments So uhhhh
y'know how i was getting disappointed at "only" reading 3 books per week
yeah
this week I read 15

And 2 of them fit into the Popsugar challenge, so I'm finally making progress again - 27/50 now, I think.

Also, I completed my 100-book Goodreads challenge! 🎉 Have now extended it to 150.

Finished:

Lud-In-The-Mist - prompts: Read Harder Challenge #3 "a classic of genre fiction", Reading Women Challenge #14 "a classic novel written by a woman" - This was so charming, quaint, weird, beautiful... a 5-star read. Imagine Stardust, but set almost entirely in Wall, with the inhabitants in such deep denial that they have it set in law that Fairyland does not exist. And your hero is a pre-adventure Bilbo Baggins. There's a smuggling ring, there's a murder mystery, there is Faery in its true beguiling horror.

For the GetGraphic readathon, I did a whole-series reread of Lumberjanes (Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy to Lumberjanes, Vol. 8: Stone Cold). These comics are just so cute and fun and creative, I love them. Highly recommend.

How Not To Be a Boy - prompts: Summer Reading Challenge "It's 12 O'Clock Somewhere" - This was decent. It was interesting to get a book about feminism/gender politics/toxic masculinity from a male perspective, sometimes it feels like only one side of the issue actually talks about this, which is... counterproductive.

All Systems Red - prompts: Popsugar #27 "set on a different planet" - I... should be concerned about how relatable I find a character called "Murderbot". 😋 This is just a nice, short bit of sci-fi featuring a sarcastic robot. Nice to relax with. Looking forward to reading the sequel sometime.

Tales from Outer Suburbia - prompts: Summer Reading Challenge "Won't Be Long" - Bizarre and beautiful little collection of thoughts.

Herland and The Yellow Wallpaper - prompts: Summer Reading Challenge "Girl Power" - This was an interesting look at early feminism, although a lot of it was still pretty reductive and stereotypical - ex., out of 3 million women, every single one of them wants to be a mother, and none of them are gay - in fact, none of them seem to experience romantic or sexual feelings at all till the male protagonists show up to marry some of them. And the way the natives of the country outside and around Herland are discussed - yikes. Good read though.

Bingo Love - prompts: Read Harder #10 "a romance novel by or about a PoC", Summer Reading Challenge "Let's Get It On" (book about falling in or out of love) - Very sweet but poorly paced graphic novel about a F/F couple spanning ~60 years. Lovely art though.

Macbeth - prompts: Popsugar #9, "about a villain or antihero" - Scottishy-murdery-witchy goodness! What else can one say about Macbeth? Really been enjoying Shakespeare lately now that I've finally made a start on reading him.

Temporary-DNFed The Original Folk and Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm.

QOTW: 29502 pages across 100 books, so average is 295pgs, which is oddly short - I have been reading some decent-sized books this year.
However, I have noticed that GR's page counts are sometimes wildly inaccurate.

message 26: by Ali (new)

Ali (aliciaclare) | 153 comments Happy Thursday! I didn't expect to get any reading done this week. I was really busy with friends over the weekend and spent a lot of time listening to a podcast, but then the past two days I finished 3 books! Pretty proud of pulling that off!

First up, I finished Hello Stranger by Lisa Kleypas. I liked the heroine of this a lot, but the hero didn't really catch my interest. Kleypas is such a great romance writer, and I'm really looking forward for the next book in the series. It's revealed at the end of the book that the heroine was inspired by the first female doctor in England, so I decided to use this as a "novel based on a real person." I love when books surprise me to fit into categories!

Next I finished Warcross by Marie Lu, which was my cyberpunk book. This book was so much fun! It was a really interesting world, and I loved all the action sequences, The story was pretty predictable, but that didn't really take away from my enjoyment. I'm looking forward to the sequel that comes out in September!

Finally, I finished Leah on the Offbeat by Becky Albertalli. Albertalli is one of my new favorite authors after reading all her books this year. I flew through this book, and had a lot of fun reading it. Albertalli is great at writing large group dynamics and giving her characters a lot of faults, and I really respect that

I'm currently at 26/40 for the main challenge and 5/10 for the advanced challenge.

QOTW: I've read 76 books this year at 18,228 pages, which averages to 239 pages for me. I'm not surprised by that because I've read a couple audiobook, which when I log have about 10 pages or so. Plus there's been a few short reads and a couple graphic novels too. I love looking at stats, so this was a fun question!

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathergrace) | 94 comments Good afternoon! It has been raining like crazy in Maryland since last week so I have done a bit of reading and watching Netflix because the weather was right for it.

Finished:
Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death and really enjoyed it. Good mysteries, not all were ones I already knew from the show.

The Immortalists which was due back at the library and it was now or never. I'm using it for a book with an ugly cover because I didn't love the jacket design. The book itself was kind of a letdown because it started great, got really crazy, then pulled back and ended abruptly... not my favorite.

Currently reading:
A Million Worlds with You... still. I was doing this on audio when I had lengthy drives but those have stopped so now I need to finish it while I fold laundry or something!

Kindred for my time travel book and HOLY CRAP this is as amazing as I have always heard. I am totally hooked.

Decidedly Off Limits because I needed a lighter read before bed since Kindred was so gripping. This is well on its way to being a 2-star read but I'm almost done so I won't DNF it since it's a quick one.

QOTW: I looooove reading stats! I'm at 88 books, 28,926 pages, 328 pages per book. My reading goal for the year was 125 books and though I'm way out-stripping that pace, I'm keeping it because I think it will encourage me to pick up longer books that take more than a week to finish. I've got some massive tomes I want to read!

message 28: by Lindi (last edited Jul 26, 2018 09:32AM) (new)

Lindi (lindimarie) I went on yet another trip this last weekend and didn't get much time to read. But I did manage to finish two books.

Finished:

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah for a book by a local author. I believe Kristin was born in California, but she went to school in Seattle and has lived in the Pacific Northwest ever since, so I'm counting it! I was so captivated by this book. Hannah weaves together an incredible story and I might have liked it more than The Nightingale.

The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang. This was so cute and proves you can still rely on old tropes while still writing something fresh and new. Would recommend to anyone who are fans of chick-lit, or romance. (Or even if you're not!)

Currently Reading:

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann. This is for my true crime book and I'm really enjoying it. However unlike the books I've been finishing lately, it takes more concentration as there are so many facts and names! It isn't dry however, and I like that I don't already know how the story plays out.

Question of the Week:

I was just looking at this feature the other day! I love Goodreads and all the stats they provide. I average at 307 pages per book.

message 29: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 542 comments Hello everybody! It's been a good while since I've updated, but all my books read since my last update have just been in the last week. It's been a busy month.

Barbarian Days: A Surfing Life : nice surfing memoir, enjoyed it.

Magpie Murders : I can see why this has gotten a lot of attention; would recommend to classic mystery lovers.

Still Waters : my first foray into nordic noir; sadly I did not enjoy this. Even if the editor had cut out the unnecessary chapters of whiny complaints about an unsupportive husband, you're still left with a very basic predictable detective novel.

Six Months in Mexico : the last part of my Complete Works of Nellie Bly. this was a struggle to get through. The writing style is very dry and of course with late 1800s writing you're in for a lot of racism against non-Europeans.

A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea : it's difficult to read about human rights abuses, especially when compounded with the feeling that there's not a lot you can do about these tragedies. still, a good memoir.

Ordinary Beast : decent poetry collection

QOTW:
I'm currently averaging about 266 pages per book, but I know that's not super accurate. GR has been doing this weird thing lately where it says I've read a book twice when I've only read it once. If I go to edit it, it looks just the way it should. So I know it's not totally accurate but it's not too far off.

message 30: by Stacey (last edited Jul 26, 2018 11:08AM) (new)

Stacey | 404 comments Happy Thursday!! Hard to believe it's already that time of the week again! I slacked (a bit) again on my reading as my sister & brother-in-law were still up visiting until Tuesday morning but I'm glad I got to spend some quality time with them! :)

Currently at 36/52 for the PS challenge! I finished 4 books this week - ALL challenge books. :)

Finished This Week

Princess of Thorns by Stacey Jay for 47) A Book By An Author With The Same First Or Last Name As You ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
*I liked the first half, I LOVED the second half! I wish I could do half stars on GR as I think this is truly a 4.5 star read for me. I was pleasantly surprised!

The Philosopher's Flight by Tom Miller for 40/A) Your Favourite Prompt from a previous PS challenge (2015): A Book With Magic ⭐️⭐️⭐️
*I really wanted to love this book but I just couldn’t get very into it; I can’t even pinpoint why exactly. The content was new and interesting and fairly easy to follow.

Who Killed the Avro Arrow? by Chris Gainor for 48) A Microhistory ⭐️ (Yay, Finally Finished it!)
*I'm not sorry that I read this book as I now have a greater appreciation for the history of my local area and other past Canadian issues. However, that being said; I was very frustrated at the structure of this book (not chronological), found that it was very long-winded and repetitive, and thought it was full of dry details. I probably would have it enjoyed it much more if it was about half the length.
**Honestly I think this is my least favourite prompt anyways...I don't think there are many historical events that I'm super passionate about thus really desire to know all the knitty-gritty details of. I'm more of a -give me an overview- type person when it comes to anything historical.

The Hobbit (I did the unabridged audiobook) by J.R.R. Tolkein for 4) A Book Involving A Heist ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
*Loved It! I had only ever seen the movies and read half of the abridged version as a kid.

Currently Reading

Rainbirds by Clarissa Goenawan for 14) A Book By An Author Of A Different Ethnicity Than You (Goenawan was born in Indonesia and lives in Singapore)
*Enjoying this so far!

QOTW

I had no idea that feature existed but here are my #s for 2018:
Read 50 Books
Read 15,972 Pages
Avg 319 Pages/Book

I won't put much stock into those #s as there are so many factors that skew them for me!! The majority of the books I read are ebooks (.epub files on my android tablet) and the reading program I use often changes the font so that my actual page count is different than the GR listing for it (thus it's hard to know exactly which edition I'm reading). Great for my eyes...terrible for tracking!! xD I track my progress updates in % not page number for that reason. I've also done a few audiobooks this year and my DNFs aren't counted either so I've actually read a few more pages than what GR says. Also, I rarely read authors aknowledgements/notes and some of the books I've read include a preview to the author's other book which I may or may not read...depends if I've already read that book or not!

message 31: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 764 comments Hi Everyone!

Been fighting a headache all week, so I actually got a fair amount of reading done because I haven't been up for much else.

This week I finished:

The Waking Land - Counted this for Read Harder's book about nature. It's fantasy, but the main character was both a botanist, and a nature magician. Figure it counts! I really enjoyed it, looking forward to the second once the library gets it/I find a deal.

A Man Called Ove - Finished the audio for this. I counted it as my book I meant to read last year. I don't really pick prompts in advance, but I had seen everyone talking about reading it and loving it so I did vaguely intend to pick it up eventually. So sure, I meant to read it last year.

The Turn: The Hollows Begins with Death - counting this as my book from a local author. Kim Harrison lives in Ann Aarbor, which is about a 45 min drive. She was born in Detroit, which I'm in a suburb of, so figure she counts. I liked it ok, but not as much as her main hallows series. I really didn't like one of the main characters, and I really didn't like how it ended up. But I'd still read more if she continues with this part of the story.

A Princess in Theory - Counting for my read harder romance by a person of color. This was alright, romance isn't my favorite genre in general. I pretty much guessed the entire plot about five minutes into reading. I also get pretty annoyed that a staple of romance is "It doesn't matter how much someone lies and misrepresents themselves, it's ok because they are in LOVEEEE".

Currently reading:

The Three-Body Problem - Only read a page or so of this, starts out a bit dryer than I expected. It's my read harder genre fiction in translation.

I'm down to one challenge left for popsugar! Unfortunately it's a book I've been on hold on for a couple months now, and i'm STILL only at #5 on the list. I don't know why everyone suddenly wants to read Catch Me If You Can, both the movie and the musical have been around for ages. Maybe there's a lot of local people doing this challenge that also don't really like true crime, so were also looking for true crime that wasn't about murder/serial killers?

QOTW:

I'm at 29773 pages and 98 books. Puts me at about 303 pages a book. I've read some thicker books, but I also have a lot of graphic novels in there, so probably averages out about right.

message 32: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments SarahKat wrote: "Anabell wrote: "(Though not quite sure how they count audiobooks.)"

It depends on if you go through the trouble of finding the exact "edition" of audio book you are reading. Usually, I just click ..."

My rule of thumb is to just use the Kindle version of the book that I'm listening to on audio. Since most of my audiobooks have whispersync this makes sense to me and I still get a page count. It isn't a perfect system a d may not work for everyone, but it's what I do :)

I do keep my own personal records that show when I listen to an audio so I know.

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 239 comments Alas, it has been a good week for reading for me! It's super hot so that helps because I don't want to leave the house!

30/52

Currently Reading

Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1) by Veronica Roth
The Book of Essie by Meghan MacLean Weir
Actions The Actors' Thesaurus by Marina Caldarone
The Acting Bible The Complete Resource for Aspiring Actors by Michael Powell

Completed
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1) by Roald Dahl
13. A Book that is Also a Stage Play
The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang
16. A Book about mental health (I'm using neurological health here)

QotW

Reading Stats

I actually already keep track of this in my bullet journal. I wasn't aware the stats were available on Goodreads. I have read 36 books this year, 2 being audiobooks.

Listened to 15h and 37m. Making the average for each audio book 7:48:30.

Out of the 34 books and plays read my total page 8947. Averaging approximately 263 pages per book.

message 34: by Cornerofmadness (new)

Cornerofmadness | 430 comments I did some reading for other challenges, nothing for this one.

I read Permed to Death by Nancy J. Cohen which was a decent cozy mystery with a hair dresser amateur sleuth.

Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz & The Utopia Experiment by Kyle Mills & Robert Ludlum (of Jason Bourne fame), both are black ops thrillers. I liked Orphan X better but both were good if you like that sort of thing.

And I read No Place Like Home by kim fielding since I needed something for Kansas for the literary Destinations challenge. It was a good contemporary LGBT story with mature protagonists.

QOTW Oooo I like this one. It didn't include the three books I just added (all of these minus Permed to Death) I've read 82 books and 21, 715 pages. To my surprise I gave out 7 five star reviews. I'm pretty stingy with those.

message 35: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 6320 comments Mod
Chrissi wrote: "... I'm using that library card like a shopaholic uses a Visa...."

LOL!!!! That describes me perfectly!!! Paper books, music CDs, audiobooks, ebooks ... even ukeleles ... The value I get from my library card is immense!

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 866 comments Hi everyone. It is the hottest day ever here in Yorkshire and, of course, today is the day work decided to fix the chillers, so we've had a full hotel of guests complaining about the heat all day whilst they were turned off. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything is back up and running tomorrow.

This week I finished Victory of Eagles. It was nice to have a little bit more of Temeraire's side of things instead of Laurence for a change, and to have him gradually come to realise the consequences of his actions in the last novel. I really enjoyed it and eagerly await the next instalment.

I also finished Tarzan of the Apes. I was in the mood for something fluffy and this was indeed fluff. In my head Tarzan was Brendan Fraser's George of the Jungle, even though he didn't match the description in the book. I would have liked a more in depth detail of Tarzan's assimilation into society as it all seemed a bit rushed.

Currently reading: Monkey: The Journey to the West. I left this in the car days ago so I'm only about 2 chapters in.

The Kite Runner. OMG the narrator is so annoying. "I feel so guilty all the time blah blah blah" If you felt so bad, you would do something about it. I am only continuing because the bestsellers from the year I left school are very lacklustre and this one will be over with quickly.

Legendary. I don't have a prompt for this one at the moment. Someone very kindly suggested a few options for me but I've filled all of the ones it fits into already.

QOTW: I've read 14,538 pages over 42 books, averaging 346 per book which isn't bad considering the YA and kids books I read. Plus my version of 800 Leagues on the Amazon was broken down into two volumes, so that'll knock it down a bit.

message 37: by Nadine in NY (new)

Cendaquenta wrote: "... All Systems Red - prompts: Popsugar #27 "set on a different planet" - I... should be concerned about how relatable I find a character called "Murderbot". 😋 This is just a nice, short bit of sci-fi featuring a sarcastic robot ..."

This is one of the books I've got checked out to bring on vacation!!! So, I may (or may not - there are quite a few books im bringing!) read this soon!

message 38: by Diane (last edited Jul 26, 2018 12:26PM) (new)

Diane | 74 comments Haven't checked in for quite a while -- but this week's QOTW got me motivated to say hi to everyone.

This was a slow reading week for me: a three day weekend at the lake and a two day fever with lots of sleeping.
Finished:
A Place for Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza

Purgatory Ridge by William Kent Krueger

Neither of these was for the challenge -- only have six left! Waiting for library books and/or my face to face book club to fulfill those slots.
QOTW:
I've read 98 books so far, but 6 of them do not have page counts because I listened to an audio version. Adjusting for those 0 pages books:
32,728 pages divided by 92 books
Average count = 356
Interestingly, there are some short graphic novels and short fiction books that I used for either this challenge or Book Riot.

message 39: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 694 comments Nadine wrote: "This is one of the books I've got checked out to bring on vacation!!! So, I may (or may not - there are quite a few books im bringing!) read this soon!"

It's a fun quick read - you could breeze through it in a day. I'd recommend it.

message 40: by Hope (new)

Hope Read 4 books this week-2 for the challenge and 2 not.

The Wolf- (A book that is published in 2018) Started out strong but quickly got bogged down and boring.

I Am Malala: The Story of the Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban- (A book about Feminism) Very fascinating and powerful!

Briar's Book- Reread of my favorite Tamora Pierce series. Still enjoy it.

Emma and the Blue Genie- Adorable children's book. Quick, fun read with illustrations.

QOTW: I have read 16675 pages over 60 books, which makes my page count about 278 per book.

message 41: by Nadine in NY (new)

Sarah wrote: ".The Kite Runner. OMG the narrator is so annoying. "I feel so guilty all the time blah blah blah" If you felt so bad, you would do something about it. I am only continuing because the bestsellers from the year I left school are very lacklustre and this one will be over with quickly.."

Ugh I remember that book being long AF and he doesn't stop feeling bad yet doing nothing about it. I fully support you if you choose to dnf! Of course, most people loved that book so maybe you will too.

message 42: by Nadine in NY (last edited Jul 26, 2018 03:51PM) (new)

This has been a weird week and I just can't keep track of what day it is which means I forgot it's Thursday!!!. I've spent the day thinking that today is Wednesday!

It's because my older daughter and I road-tripped to see Taylor Swift last weekend (I'm not even a fan and I thought it was a great show!), and this Saturday (at 3am!!!) we leave for our family vacation. Vacation at my mom's house at the shore, where rain is predicted every day! That COULD mean lots of reading time, or it could mean lots of Unhappy Kid Stuck in the House Time. It will definitely mean Walking the Dogs in the Rain Time, but that's ok. I am so grateful that my mom has a house near the shore.

It started raining on us on Saturday (we were DRENCHED at the concert - and it was STILL a good time!), and it's rained constantly since. We needed the rain but I also need to mow the lawn before I leave! Luckily the rain has let up and I should be able to mow this evening. Then tonight it will start raining again.

Sara, a relaxing reading mini-vacation sounds delightful!

This week I dnf'ed one book and finished three books, one of them for the Challenge, so I am now 48/50.

DNF
Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente - there's nothing really wrong with this book, but I started it six months ago and just never wanted to read it. I gave it one more try and then took it off my "currently reading" shelf. I own the e-book so maybe I'll get back to it someday. I really like Valente as a person on social media, but her books are a real mixed bag for me.

Finished
Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor - I had high expectations for this (it just sounds so cool!) but it was a very meh read.

Mighty Jack and the Goblin King by Ben Hatke - I had to read this to finish the story. It was ... ok. It felt like Hatke wanted to write something but just wasn't inspired so he threw everything -and-the-kitchen-sink at it, hoping something would work. Meh. Not so much. I still love Hatke though!

Moxyland by Lauren Beukes - this book was a little slow to start, a little confusing, but once it grabbed me, it REALLY grabbed me!! ALL the stars!! This will stand out as one of my favorite reads of 2018. I used this for "cyberpunk." This is a good choice for cyberpunk if you're not really into the Johnny-Mnemonic-in-Cool-Sunglasses kind of story. This was a gritty and very real near-future story.

QOTW
I love tracking my reading stats, but for some reason I never pay attention to page count! It's probably because I know I don't like long books. (I keep a spreadsheet, too, where I track number of books read each year, ratings, and genres. But I don't track the page counts.)

This year, to date, I've read 158 books and 48,185 pages, an average of 305 pages/book. Like many of you, I read a lot of graphic novels, so I'm not too surprised that my average is on the low side. (Okay, I AM actually surprised, because I thought it would be lower!)

message 43: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 866 comments Nadine wrote: "Sarah wrote: ".The Kite Runner. OMG the narrator is so annoying. "I feel so guilty all the time blah blah blah" If you felt so bad, you would do something about it. I am only continuing because the..."

Boooooo! I'm already about halfway through. I was hoping it would get better but no luck so far (but I can see why a lot of people would have been reading it around the time I left school).

message 44: by SadieReadsAgain (new)

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 767 comments One book finished this week, taking me to 34/50 (31/40 & 3/10). The book I finished was for prompt #22 alliteration in the title. I went with Ursula, Under, the story of a little girl who fell down a mineshaft, and how all the stories of her ancestors contributed to her being exactly where she was.

It was such a slow burner for me. Maybe it was because I didn't get enough about Ursula and her predicament before the story swung to the first of her ancestors. I'll be honest, I couldn't be less interested in reading about some self-indulgent alchemist dude way back thousands of years ago, and I put the book down a lot in that first 50 pages. Lucky for the book/me, I was on holiday with no other books left to read, so on I ploughed. I'm glad I persisted though, as the modern-day story and most of the ancestral flashbacks bringing us to that point were a lot stronger than the start. I was hooked in and really wanted to know if Ursula was rescued, and even warmed to some of the stories of her ancestors. This is a saga, it spans thousands of years. I think the concept was a bit more exciting than the execution, but at its core it is a good (slightly overwritten*) tale of how we are all valuable cogs in the movement of time.

*and I couldn't ignore Hill's tick of saying "back of" instead of behind...urgh, rage.

Number geekery

I love things like this. Part of my reading ritual when starting a new book is to work out how many reading sessions I think I'll get in that week, and then figure out how many pages I need to read in each session in order to finish the book within a week. I don't always manage it, but it gives me something to aim for to keep me on track.

So, 34 books makes 10,056 pages, so on average I'm hitting 296 pages per average. That's going to change though, because I've managed to leave some of my biggest books until the second half of the year!

message 45: by Brooke (last edited Jul 26, 2018 02:03PM) (new)

Brooke | 273 comments Hi everyone! The last week has been super busy, with family visiting last weekend. My dad stayed with me for 4 nights, and that’s the longest amount of time I’ve spent with him maybe ever. My brother and his family (including my absolutely adorable 9-mo-old niece) were also here for a couple of days. In addition to all that I had a huge work project that just wrapped up yesterday, so everything I read this week was pure fluff that didn’t require concentration so I could unwind before bed.

No books read this week count for Popsugar, so I'm still at 41/52.

Books I finished:
The Secret, Book and Scone Society by Ellery Adams. This cozy mystery just fell flat for me. It didn’t hold my interest, and I found the characters to be annoying.

The Vacationers by Emma Straub. This book doesn’t have many good reviews, but I thought it was okay. It is about an extended family that vacations together for about 2 weeks on the island of Mallorca. I think as long as you don’t expect the world and just want a glimpse into a snobby wealthy family’s vacation, it is fine.

The Mistake I Made by Paula Daly. This was meh. It was my first book by Daly so I wasn’t sure what to expect going in, but I know I expected more than I got. It is classified as a psychological thriller, but it…wasn’t. On top of that, some of the storylines were too weak to pay attention to and I didn’t feel much chemistry between the main character and any of her love interests.

Last Night at Chateau Marmont by Lauren Weisberger. Another book that got a lot of poor reviews, but I don't understanding the hate. If you just accept this book for what it is – an inside look at the music business, overnight fame and how a relationship works within that – there is nothing wrong with it. The main character was strong and stuck to her beliefs most of the time, and her wealthy fabulous friend (there is always at least one in Weisberger’s novels, I think just to be able to name drop designers, etc) wasn’t as annoying as she could be. The ending was cheesy but expected.

I am currently reading:
The Power by Naomi Alderman. Paused this one last week due to inability to concentrate.
China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan.
The Breakdown by B.A. Paris.

QOTW: Two of my favorite things are planning/organizing and numbers. Yay! This year I’ve read 108 books totaling 36,366 pages. That gives me an average page count of 309. That sounds about right, as it seems a majority of the books I read are between 300-350 pages.

message 46: by Chandie (last edited Jul 26, 2018 01:39PM) (new)

Chandie (chandies) | 261 comments Once again, I really have no idea if any of these fit my prompts I have left. I really need to sit down and figure it out before school starts.

The Bat by Jo Nesbo. This is the first Harry Hole book and I know they are popular so I picked this up. I did not really enjoy it at all. I didn’t like the main character or find him interesting. Although, to be fair, a lot of reviews said to skip the first 2 but skipping books in a series (even if they can be standalone), I just can’t.

Those Girls by Chevy Stevens. Stephen King just rec’d this book on twitter. However, I really didn’t enjoy it. It’s about three girls in an abusive home who run away into even more danger. Then it skips ahead 18 years and I just did not connect to any of the characters and couldn’t muster any care for them.

The Lying Game by Ruth Ware. This was a perfectly serviceable mystery novel and the second of Ware’s that I’ve read (she also wrote Woman in Cabin 10 and while I enjoyed them, I probably won’t pick up any more unless I find them at a used book store.

Behind Closed Doors by B.A. Paris. Perfect couple from the outside but behind closed doors it’s a different story. Enjoyed it and would pick up more by this author.

Not That I Could Tell by Jessica Strawser. Woman and her kids go missing after a night with friends. Another one that I enjoyed the ride and would pick up more from the author.

The Player and the Pixie by L.H. Cosway and Penny Reid. Contemporary romance. Liked it but didn't love it.

QOTW:
So far this year
96 books (mostly 3 and 4 star)
32347 pages
Average of 337 pages per book.

message 47: by Anabell (new)

Anabell | 354 comments Sara wrote: "SarahKat wrote: "Anabell wrote: "(Though not quite sure how they count audiobooks.)"

It depends on if you go through the trouble of finding the exact "edition" of audio book you are reading. Usual..."

I do have an audiobook folder so When I add a book to my tbr I should just remember to choose the ebook edition. I just haven’t thought to much about it when adding books...

message 48: by Christy (new)

Christy | 351 comments Hi everyone,
I finished 3 books this week, bringing me to 30/52.
Finished:
Where'd You Go, Bernadette (eccentric character prompt from 2017) on audiobook. This book was fun to listen to, though I found it really distracting how much younger Bea seemed than her age. I was also annoyed by the characterizations of Seattle, which I found quite inaccurate (except the Craftsmans, that's a real thing). Still, it was a fun way to pass the time.
Step Aside, Pops. (book about feminism) This was another delightful Kate Beaton collection, and was wonderful as I expected.
Sing, Unburied, Sing. I used this book for an allegory, which is a bit of a stretch, but it makes sense to me. The writing was superb.

Currently reading:
The Terror (set at sea) I've been reading this forever, but I'm almost done!
Heirs and Graces (probably not for challenge). I do enjoy this series.
Beartown on audiobook. This is an interesting book, and doesn't require a lot of concentration, but the writing is Not Good. The strained images are really distracting: "The teenagers piled into the living room at approximately the same rate as bodies falling through a hole in the ceiling." Um, what rate is that? Is there a universally accepted number of bodies per minute that fall through ceiling holes? Why are we talking about ceiling holes? Could you please just tell me there are lots of teens there and we can move on with the story? A good editor would have been such a boon to this book.

Up next:
The Poisonwood Bible (bestseller for the year I graduated HS). I'm looking forward to this one, since I've been meaning to read it since it came out almost exactly two decades ago. Better late than never!

QOTW: I've read 10,379 pages in 31 books, for an average of 335 pages per book. I think audiobooks must be pushing the average down a bit, because I do love a hefty tome. :-)

message 49: by SadieReadsAgain (last edited Jul 26, 2018 02:15PM) (new)

SadieReadsAgain (sadiestartsagain) | 767 comments Jess wrote: "I really want to read Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? to see how much of this book was from her real experience and also where her life went from there..."

I listened to the audiobook of Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? a few years ago, after reading Oranges. Its a great way to understand more, I really enjoyed it.

Thegirlintheafternoon Hello everyone! It's been three weeks since, my last check-in, so I'm just going to hit the highlights.

FINISHED

I finished 10 books since my last check-in. The highlights were The Proposal and When the Emperor Was Divine. I'm at 38/50 prompts completed for Popsugar and 20/24 completed for Read Harder, and I'm also playing along with The Ripped Bodice's Summer Romance Bingo Challenge!

IN PROGRESS

I'm reading Less, Ask a Manager: How to Navigate Clueless Colleagues, Lunch-Stealing Bosses, and the Rest of Your Life at Work, and How To Read the Tarot.

DNF

A whole bunch in the last few weeks!

« previous 1 3