Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > I'm famous!--Vermeer

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Born circa October 31

His works have been a source of inspiration and fascination for centuries, but much of his life remains a mystery. His father came from a family of craftsmen and his mother had a Flemish background.

After his baptismal record at a local church, _________ seems to disappear for nearly 20 years. He likely had a Calvinist upbringing.

His father worked as a tavern keeper and an art merchant, and ___________ inherited both of these business upon his father's death. The following year, ________ married [spouse]. She was Catholic, and _________ converted to her faith. The couple moved in with her mother, and would eventually have 11 children together.

The influence of Caravaggio is apparent in ________'s early works.

The painter also explored mythology... and religion...By the end of the decade, ____________'s unique style began to emerge.

He served as head of the local artistic guild for a time. However, __________ was not well-known outside of his community during his lifetime.

____________ struggled financially in his final years...__________ was deeply indebted by the time of his death.

Who Am I?

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 376 comments Vermeer?

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Connie wrote: "Vermeer?"

Great, Connie! It is, in fact, Vermeer!

message 4: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 376 comments Vermeer is one of my favorites, and I enjoyed learning about his life when I read Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier.