Play Book Tag discussion

The Stowaway: A Young Man's Extraordinary Adventure to Antarctica
This topic is about The Stowaway
Archive: Other Books > The Stowaway: A Young Man's Extraordinary Adventure to Antarctica / Laurie Gwen Shapiro. 3.75 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8619 comments 3.75 stars

Billy Gawronski’s parents immigrated from Poland to New York. He grew up wanting to be a sailor, and at 17, though his Dad wanted him to take over his successful interior design business, Billy stowed away on a ship belonging to his hero, Richard Byrd. Byrd had planned to be the first to fly over the Atlantic, but Lindberg just barely beat him to it. Instead, Byrd decided to head to Antarctica by ship, then to be the first to fly to the South Pole. Billy wanted to be part of it all.

This was good. It followed Billy (and Byrd), not just to Antarctica and back (and that is the bulk of the book), but I liked that it continued when they returned. They returned in 1930, just after the collapse of the stock market and the economy was bad, so it was not easy for any of the returning crew (though hailed as heroes) to find work at that time.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review. I was chuckling as I read this. One of my sons in college, who is moving to Japan when he graduates is obsessed with Antartica and wants to go there one day. I need to tell him about this book.

LibraryCin | 8619 comments Rachel wrote: "Good review. I was chuckling as I read this. One of my sons in college, who is moving to Japan when he graduates is obsessed with Antartica and wants to go there one day. I need to tell him about t..."

LOL! It is sort of a dream trip for me, but I doubt it would ever happen!

message 4: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments This is also a dream trip for me. Antarctica to see the penguins :)

message 5: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2502 comments You could come to NZ and see penguins, Joi - we have some in the harbour 😀

LibraryCin | 8619 comments Ahhhh, I'd love to get to NZ, too! Would love to see penguins, but I also want to see icebergs!

message 7: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments I wish, Kate!! One day :)

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

KateNZ wrote: "You could come to NZ and see penguins, Joi - we have some in the harbour 😀"

Oh wow, that would be so amazing to see. And not nearly as cold!!