Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Moonglow by Michael Chabon - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy D (last edited Jul 26, 2018 10:45AM) (new)

Joy D | 3884 comments Moonglow by Michael Chabon - 2 stars

Fictional account of part of the narrator’s grandfather’s life, as told from his hospital bed during his last days. Filled with non-linear vignettes, portions of the story relate to such diverse topics as WWII, the American space program, mental illness, a New York prison experience, and a python on the loose in Florida. After reading another of the Chabon’s books that I enjoyed immensely, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, I was disappointed to find this book a bit of a jumble. I was not inspired to care about the characters, the story jumped around so much that it was hard to recall where the last bit left off, and certain episodes appeared to have no discernable point. It contains unnecessary references to bodily functions, his grandfather’s sexual activities, and vulgarity. Early on we are led to believe the grandmother was in a concentration camp during WWII but no one ever asks how her daughter would have survived such a camp. Ultimately, I found it a promising concept that led nowhere.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1490 comments i started this and gave up very early on

message 3: by Joy D (new)

Joy D | 3884 comments I listened to the entire book and was hoping it would improve. It just was not my cup of tea.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Moonglow (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael Chabon (other topics)