Christian Nonfiction Lovers Book Club discussion

Q&A on Biblical Topics > Can a Christian who has fallen away and turned back to their old ways be forgiven and reconciled unto the Father?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments I’m having trouble believing that falling so far away from my once close walk with God has caused me to not be able to return to him. The Bible says when we accept Christ old things are gone and we are made new. But what about those who stumble and don’t get back up for a long time... is it too late?

message 2: by Susan, Moderator (new)

Susan (susanrohrer) | 285 comments Hi Dawn,

After I read your post, the first thing that came to me was that wonderful image of the prodigal's father waiting for his son's return. That son had wandered far from home as many who stray do. Yet this parable demonstrates the capacity and grace of our heavenly Father to forgive and receive a returning stray despite what the letter of the law may have dictated. Because of Hebrews 6:4-6, many have asked your question and differ about what it means. But no matter how we interpret that challenging passage, we should be sure to read on to verse 10's reassurance. Other Scriptures remind us to consider that what is impossible for people is possible with God (Luke 18:27), that love covers a multitude of sins (1 Peter 4:8), and that, like the prodigal, even heroes of the Bible who sincerely returned were welcomed back into the Father's embrace.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments Thank you. I try to remind myself of the prodigal son, but I have such a hard time receiving grace. I know that sin separates us from the Father but I want to truly fall to my knees at His feet and return home where I know I belong. I just feel so far from Him. Thank you for taking the time to read my question and answer it.

message 4: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Hi Dawn, I am glad you asked that question, I am convinced that the Father waits for every wayward child's return. There will be a party, no punishment! I am writing this with the illustration of the prodigal sin/daughter in kind as Susan describes so well.

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam Meade | 3 comments Dawn, where is your faith? Is it in YOUR righteousness or that of Christ? We need to remember that it's only because of what HE did, not because of what WE did, that we are saved from our sins to begin with. If the son sets you free, you are free indeed. To be freed from our sin doesn't mean to be sinless. It means we are no longer bound to our sins and they cannot drag us to damnation. Only in this can we have any assurance. Our salvation is the free gift of God, not based on any merit of our own. I know full well how backsliding can make one feel so far from the Father. When we sin willfully, it's like giving arrows to the accuser, and you bet he'll fling em back at us. This is why the shield of faith is so important...because though we may be fickle, God WILL make good on His promises! God bless you!

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments Thank you so much. I look at my wrongdoings and the way I have lived even though I knew it was sinful. Yet I know that Christ died on the cross for our sins. I felt so far from God and my heart wanted to run back but my flesh took over and I let it continue to do so. I feared so much that once I knew Christ yet sinned over and over that there would be a point of no return. Thank you for the reassurance. I will continue to seek God and turn my life back to Him.

message 7: by Adam (new)

Adam Meade | 3 comments You're welcome. Death is the only point of no return. God is more ready to forgive than we are ready to offend. Think about this. God is infinite. He lacks nothing. That means that he is neither harmed by our disobedience or helped by our obedience. Yet he condescended to our level and bore the burden of our sins on himself. He's not a tyrant. He only wants what's best for us. He is agape...unconditional love. And only when we realize that he's already paid the price for our sins...are we able to return that love not out of fear, but out of true gratitude. I say this to make the point that the way to battle sin isn't to focus on sin. It's to focus on the love of the Father...to be led by love, not fear. Focus on the root, not the fruit. :)

message 8: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments Your words give me comfort. I thank God for using you to give me strength in my struggle. My heart has been heavy, but today I am lifted up and have hope. Thank y’all for taking the time to give me wisdom and clarity.

message 9: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Hi Dawn, I am happy you are getting positive feedback in this group! May I advise you? Seek another believer, someone who understands (and has experienced) God's grace and pray together. Confess your sins and let God's forgiveness wash over you like a fresh wave of healing. The Bible says we should confess our sins to one another; not to God (He knows already) but to another believer... and He will be faithful to forgive!
Be blessed my sister.

message 10: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments Yes, I agree. I’m actually meeting with a sister in Christ today. Thank you and I am also grateful for all of the positive feedback.

message 11: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments Hi Dawn, how did it go today? I truly hope (and expect) you are doing better!

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments It was so wonderful and definitely God was with us! I’m going to church tomorrow for the first time in a long time! I feel so refreshed and renewed!

message 13: by Susan, Moderator (new)

Susan (susanrohrer) | 285 comments So great to hear this heartening news from you, Dawn!

message 14: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 438 comments We are super happy for you Dawn, thanks for sharing part of your journey with us. It gives this group a whole new meaning!

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 8 comments Thank you! I appreciate y’all so much! It means so much to me that each one of you took the time to encourage me and now celebrate with me . I thank God for each one of you! 💗💗💗