What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Preteen fiction book set in Arizona 1950's

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen (new)

Helen Hall | 6 comments I read this in 1959, no idea as to author or title. Boy( apprx. age 12 or so)was sent to live with grandfather in Arizona. One detail stands out in my memory that might or might not ring a bell. Boy's parents moved to Philippines where his father was transferred to manage Coca Cola bottling plant. He made friends with couple of kids his age at school and they would go out into desert at night (slipped out) & there was something about a spaceship they thought they saw land in the desert. I never got to finish, was a library book and we moved away before I got a chance to finish it. Still wondering about it after all these years! Know is sketchy info and this was long time ago but hoping a fellow oldie may remember it.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
Helen, I moved your request to the "Unsolved" folder because you're looking for a specific book.

message 3: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1220 comments This is not an exact match, but it is close enough I thought I should put it out here. I couldn't find a goodreads entry. Arizona Hide-out by Frances McGuire. Here is the Kirkus review: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...

Two brothers are going to visit their Aunt in Arizona, but her father-in-law plays a major role and they refer to him as "Gramp". The father is transferred to Europe rather than the Philippines though. There are mysterious doings in the desert at night with coyote howls as secret signals, but no spaceship that I could see. You can read the whole book on openlibrary.org if you think it might be a possibility.

message 4: by Helen (new)

Helen Hall | 6 comments Adele wrote: "This is not an exact match, but it is close enough I thought I should put it out here. I couldn't find a goodreads entry. Arizona Hide-out by Frances McGuire. Here is the Kirkus review: https://www..."

Thank you Adele! It has a very similar plot line but definitely had no brother & the Philippines thing was so offbeat it stayed with me. However, wondering if could be same author. Will check further on Frances McGuire books.

message 5: by Helen (new)

Helen Hall | 6 comments Kris wrote: "Helen, I moved your request to the "Unsolved" folder because you're looking for a specific book."

I appreciate the help! Thank you Kris!

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19042 comments Did the grandfather live on a ranch or in a regular house? Were there any Native Americans or horses in the novel? There are a lot of Arizona books from this era, but most of them have at least one of the above elements. Do you remember anything about the plot other than the spaceship? Were they trying to solve a mystery?

message 7: by Helen (new)

Helen Hall | 6 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Did the grandfather live on a ranch or in a regular house? Were there any Native Americans or horses in the novel? There are a lot of Arizona books from this era, but most of them have at least one..."

The grandfather did not live on a ranch, it was either a house or possibly even a mobile home out in the desert. The boy rode a school bus, setting seemed rather isolated No horses, I loved horses so would have remembered that. There were another couple of school mates within walking distance, think one was a girl & the other possibly Native American boy. It was leading up to some sort of mystery dealing with the supposed flying saucer event but unfortunately due to sudden family move I did not get to finish the library book & was unable to ever locate another copy of it. It seems a bit offbeat for a kid's book but was wholesome type book, just not the traditional family setting or ranch type stories so prevalent in books set in Arizona desert. Sorry, wish had more clues but appreciative efforts to help! Thank you!

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19042 comments Those are some good clues! Wish I had more suggestions. I see Arizona Hide-Out was already ruled out.

I could find zero plot info beyond the fact that they are juvenile mysteries set in Arizona, but maybe Tower House or Lost Treasure Trail?

Are you positive it was Arizona and not another Southwestern state?

message 9: by Helen (new)

Helen Hall | 6 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Those are some good clues! Wish I had more suggestions. I see Arizona Hide-Out was already ruled out.

I could find zero plot info beyond the fact that they are juvenile mysteries s..."

I checked Lost Treasure Trail & not it and asked about Tower House, if anyone could give me any clues as to plot. I appreciate your input & nice to know trying to help me! I could be wrong, maybe not Arizona but only other possibility would be New Mexico. I lived in Utah so know that was not it or Nevada, etc. If see any other likely suspects, please let me know. I have just about given up hope on this but never know, it could surface.

message 10: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1220 comments There is one for sale on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/351661185947 - Not a lot of additional information provided, but maybe you could contact the seller and ask if there is a blurb or back cover copy or something?

message 11: by Helen (new)

Helen Hall | 6 comments Good idea, will do that. Thank you!

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19042 comments I found The Mystery of Ghost Burro Canyon, but it wasn't pubbed until 1962.

Probably not your book, since it's Colorado, not AZ or NM.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Helen, are you still looking for this or did you find it?