Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1)
This topic is about The Cloud Roads
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > The Cloud Roads [Aug 20, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3517 comments Mod
Buddy Read starts 20th August.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments In.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments In :)

Joanne I ordered this from my library. Will start it as soon as I am finished with the one I am on. It should be soon. I'll be laid up with knee surgery so I'll have plenty of time to read!

message 5: by Janny (new) - added it

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Brilliant series - I'd re-read with you but my kindle tanked.

Arka (ruineleint) Possibly in

Arka (ruineleint) Reading this - 7 chapters done, this book is brilliant. Such an excellently imagined world!

message 8: by Janny (new) - added it

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Arkadeb wrote: "Reading this - 7 chapters done, this book is brilliant. Such an excellently imagined world!"

Yes. The most biologically 'alive' world I've ever read - the scope and diversity and the way she fit the story and evolving knowledge of Raksura was just - stunning. Some of the most astonishing work in the field.

Arka (ruineleint) Janny wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "Reading this - 7 chapters done, this book is brilliant. Such an excellently imagined world!"

Yes. The most biologically 'alive' world I've ever read - the scope and diversity and t..."

Yes! So many groups and races, such a huge, complex eco-system, so many fascinating tidbits - flying islands? This is a world to get lost in.

message 10: by Arka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arka (ruineleint) So I finished this. I absolutely loved it. Like I have posted above the worldbuilding and imagination displayed here is stunning.

But also I would like to say that after everything, after all the problems and fights, this is a heartwarming book. (view spoiler)

Joanne I've just started. Finished chapter 1. The writing is beautiful. I love the description of the world. I'm going to take my time with this. I found myself rereading certain parts because they were like poetry. The writing reminds me of Patrickia McKillip. Also, I pictured the scene as being like the movie, Avatar.

Joanne Up to chapter 4
I'll say that I am having trouble staying interested in this book.

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Dustin (last edited Sep 04, 2018 11:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Joanne wrote: "Up to chapter 4
I'll say that I am having trouble staying interested in this book."

My PB has an Appendix at the back. But I can cover it pretty quickly. Her website has a copy too.

(view spoiler)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments I'll be starting this today also. :)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments Got your reading mojo back? Am slowly going back to reading. I will start today.😊

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Yep. Reading mojo on the way to fully back! 😁
Good books and lovely covers do help!
As well as awesome BR partners. 😘

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments OH! I knew I have forgotten about something!!! I'm finishing Malazan tonight and joining ASAP.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Yeay Mayim!
I hope this will be one to gush about together. :)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments It must. I love love Wells.

Joanne @Dustin, thank you for your clarification of what the races do. Very helpful!

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Arkadeb wrote: "So I finished this. I absolutely loved it..."

This book is in the pile that I can reread over and over, and have twice in the past year since Wells has skyrocketed and a wider audience took an interest in them.

I wasn't so fond of it in the beginning though, I had trouble keeping all the characters and ranks sorted and such, but once I reached book 3 and the side stories then reread the previous books with familiarity, I enjoyed them far more.

One thing that still sort of nags at me is how simple Raksura culture is.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments Done with six chapters and this is so beautiful. The layers that the author has given to characters and Society are awesome. And a queen to rule!

(view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments She is an excellent worldbuilder. That is what I loved about the city of bones. This is my second Wells book and I am very happy to having returned to her.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Laura how far are you in? How do you like it so far?

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Janny wrote: "Arkadeb wrote: "Reading this - 7 chapters done, this book is brilliant. Such an excellently imagined world!"

Yes. The most biologically 'alive' world I've ever read - the scope and diversity and t..."

6 Chapters in. Martha Wells is one of the most skilled worldbuilders I have had the pleasure to read. Her effortless grace when creating sentient non-humans impressed me in the City of Bones but here it has been done even more masterfully.

Secondly, Moon, the main protagonist, confirms she has a soft spot for outsiders. City of Bones had a similar figure as the MC (although after 6 chapters I might not be as attached here as I was there).

I am not as taken with the prose. I mean, it is OK but not captivating. I am thinking that maybe it is one of the earlier Wells?

Finally, I am hoping for some good romance (for some reason I thought these to be romantasy).

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments And now I want to read City of Bones. :)

I am at chapter 8 and love it. It's easy to read and the Raksura are captivating. I love the idea of shifting between different forms and the mock fights to assert authority including ruffled and puffed feathers is wonderful.

I can smell romance to follow already - just one more chapter Mayim. 😊

The outsider angle is great and so is the mystery regarding Moon's origins.

There was this doubt of Stone's when he was talking to Moon in the earlier chapters (view spoiler)
But perhaps I've read too much of Janny Wurts lately and got used to seeing little clues everywhere.

This is my first book by Marha Wells but I'm deffinitely reading more of her works.

The customs and way of being of the non-humans are so masterfully described! They seem to be so natural and absolutely believable with their human-predator reactions. From the little babies trying to chew on grown-ups fingers to the big bad winged warriors and their I'm the alpha contests. It's all amazingly well done.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments @Dustin - I love your explanation. :)

And I was just trying to picture Moon with a book in one clawed hand and a winged little baby on his knee. That would be adorable! 😀

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Yes, romance! Cannot wait.

Also, forgot to say: hate the Fell. Even the very name is so ominous!

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Also, I have forgotten: Laura, do we binge read Wells now? I am ready. :D

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Me too. I'm ready.
I love the light and easy but at the same time beautiful style.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments @Manju - I don't know why I have a feeling there is (view spoiler)

Also forgot to mention. I love the names!!!

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Laura wrote: "@Manju - I don't know why I have a feeling there is [spoilers removed]

Also forgot to mention. I love the names!!!"

I agree! I have similar doubts. (view spoiler)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments I too want to read City of Bones now. ;)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Ladies, that was my first Martha Wells and I promise I was swept away.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments In chapter 13 and a lot has happened. And am ashamed to admit I was wrong in whatever I guessed. :( so far all the puzzle pieces have fell into places to complicate things more. And no romance so far. :/:\

So far I am liking Moon very much. Being an outsider and trying to earn the place and respect in this new colony, especially when everyone is so suspicious of him.

Interesting dynamics between Pearl and Jade.

Fell definitely are evil and very vile creatures.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Oh! this makes me want to go home and start reading NOW.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments "Try your claws on me, why don't you?"

What a way to introduce a leading female!

This is one of the most awesome first lines I have ever heard from a new protagonist. :D I already like Jade.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments yup, that was quite an unexpected interruption on Jade's part. She could have easily let go of that spectacle but she stood up to Pearl. :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Well, Pearl was humiliating HER consort after all.
Well done Jade!

I like the hint at romance like in chapters 7 and 8 when (view spoiler)

Slow burn but with a strong promise of something good to come. Or do you ladies see it differently?

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments For now I am concentrating on the thought that were I Moon, I'd go back and beg the Cordans (view spoiler)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments definitely a slow burn.

Moon is not very trusting. the woman who turned him in last community also wanted children and ended up poisoning him... and here too he's someone who would help in expanding the brood... I understand his hesitation.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2317 comments Mayim wrote: "For now I am concentrating on the thought that were I Moon, I'd go back and beg the Cordans [spoilers removed]"

they would kill him on sight as they think that he's ONE of them for his wing color..

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments OK, but I'd be trying to send someone else whom they would not recognise. This is a super potent (view spoiler) :D

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments Now how come I didn't think of that?! That is a great idea. Though I think Stone already knew about that stuff but they probably didn't figure out a way to use it. And I'm sure the Cordans wouldn't be the only ones to have it. :D

message 45: by Mayim (last edited Sep 06, 2018 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments Chapter 8 (I think): definitely a slowburn! (view spoiler)

These Fell grow scarier and scarier by the chapter.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6215 comments You said it girl. Jade is great.

And at chapter 12 - damn! I had it all wrong! (view spoiler)
I sure as hell didn't see that coming.

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments you are making me nervous... starting chapter 10

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments well, well, I have finished chapter 11-told-you-so (I am both smug and nervous at the moment)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I am a bit surprised by chapter 13 (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2864 comments I finished last night, couldn't help it.

« previous 1