Horror Aficionados discussion

Movies & Television > AHS: Apocalypse

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments The title for the next season of American Horror Story has been revealed and it will be a crossover between seasons 1 and 3, Murder House and Coven. The two seasons that weren't about shock value so it should be interesting. Anyone going to check it out? As much as I hate the whole crossover idea I'm still invested in the show.

message 2: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 582 comments Why Coven? Why? All the other ones were good, except this one.

message 3: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7255 comments I didn't watch all of last season so I don't know if I will end up checking out the new season. Maybe I'll record the premiere and see, by reviews, if it's worth watching.

message 4: by Nicos (new)

Nicos | 123 comments Justin wrote: "The title for the next season of American Horror Story has been revealed and it will be a crossover between seasons 1 and 3, Murder House and Coven. The two seasons that weren't about shock value s..."

I will always check it out as the show is a guilty pleasure. Whether or not I stick with it is TBD haha. Since it is presumably going to be about the anit-christ baby from season 1, I wonder if Jessica Lange will be reprising her role?

message 5: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7255 comments Nicos wrote: "Justin wrote: "The title for the next season of American Horror Story has been revealed and it will be a crossover between seasons 1 and 3, Murder House and Coven. The two seasons that weren't abou..."

I would love if she did, that would definitely make me want to watch the season if she was going to be in it.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 330 comments Perhaps I'm mis-reading the previous posts but, does it seem as though AHS is loosing their sense of "originality" ?

message 7: by Nicos (new)

Nicos | 123 comments Robert wrote: "Perhaps I'm mis-reading the previous posts but, does it seem as though AHS is loosing their sense of "originality" ?"

Could be. They have had crossovers plenty of times before. One of the Witches from Season 3 went to the Hotel Cortez. The pinhead woman from Freakshow was first in the Aslyum season. Stuff like that. I thought this was going to be the last season so it makes sense to bring it full circle.

message 8: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 31 comments Murder House was very good but it definitely had shock value. I mean the main 'villain' was in a leather gimp suit with a strap-on! I am in the minority in that I really liked Coven but it may have been becuase I watched it not long after i had visited New Orleans so I loved that setting.

Personally my favourite season was Asylum but I've enjoyed all the seasons and every one has managed to be different from the others.

My least favourite season was Hotel but even that had the great episode with the famous serial killers having dinner together

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments Sept 12th...

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7255 comments I haven't been able to find any information on what the major plot of the season is going to be (aside from it being a crossover) my X1 doesn't even show a summary description for the premiere.

message 11: by John (new)

John | 135 comments Wow, just watched the first episode. Told myself I wouldn’t after the last couple of failed seasons, especially that steaming that last season was. Don't get your hopes up. More of the same tawdry writing accompanied by over-the-top acting and low-budget set design.

Paulson's abilities as an actor have plummeted to the same low as ever with this horrid show – to her character made it through an episode without crying, a rare thing. Such a shame that a talent of the calibre of Cathy Bates has to be associated with such trash. Is she having IRS issues as well? She should have jumped ship with Lange.

AHS has become one of the most pathetic and sad things on TV. Hell, some reality TV isn’t this pathetic. They strive to be some artistic avant-garde but fall laughably far from the mark. They aim for say Picasso and end up with Warhol – a can of soup lol. Fitting.

They should just fall on their swords after this season (should have after that hotel tripe) but undoubtedly they will drag its dying corpse as far as they can and milk it to the end.

Hope I haven’t upset too many here. I was actually holding out a glimmer of hope that the show would return to its former glory. Alas, not.

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7255 comments Haven't watched it yet and I don't have much hope about it based on your review. I'd typically just skip it but I don't have much to watch until the new fall season starts at the end of the month.

message 13: by Daffy (new)

Daffy True (shasarazad) | 42 comments Wow what a great negative review. (I love reading negative reviews lol) I'm a season late since I have to wait for them to be released on Netflix, and have been dying to watch the steaming season 7 for a year. I didn't really enjoy Roanoke, but I did like Hotel quite a bit. Maybe more because of the setting and soundtrack than the story, same with Coven and Freak Show, could have done so much more with those. How is the soundtrack this season?

message 14: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3128 comments Mod
OTOH... I liked the first episode. Much better than I expected it to be. And I adore Joan Collins and it such was fun to see her in this.

message 15: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments Didn't get the first episode. They introduce a whole bunch of new characters that we're supposed to root for? If it's a Murder House and Coven crossover then they should've lead off with that. Now it seems like Sara Paulson and Evan Peters playing multiple roles as usual. It just seems dull and pointless and why does the anti Christ look all grown up? Just flat to me at the moment.

message 16: by Marie Helene (new)

Marie Helene | 704 comments I watched the first episode, out of curiosity.
Missing: a screenplay and a budget.
You get Joan Collins as a consolation prize.

message 17: by John (new)

John | 135 comments Marie-Helene wrote: "I watched the first episode, out of curiosity.
You get Joan Collins as a consolation prize."

Haha! Love the review!

message 18: by Tim (new)

Tim Gunter | 154 comments I have a feeling I'm gonna jump shit this season like I have two of the last three. But until then I plan to try and get as much enjoyment from it as possible, with some drinks and pointing out all the absurdities on twitter.

message 19: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7255 comments Marie-Helene wrote: "I watched the first episode, out of curiosity.
You get Joan Collins as a consolation prize."

Ha, well now I definitely need to check it out!

message 20: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 330 comments Brad Falchuck seems to tapped into a somewhat current fear with the first episode so I'm going to go the distance with this season. Too early to tell if it will be disappointing. (Quite funny, John regarding Sarah Paulson
s "lack" of crying this season, thus far!)

message 21: by John (new)

John | 135 comments Robert wrote: "Brad Falchuck seems to tapped into a somewhat current fear with the first episode so I'm going to go the distance with this season. Too early to tell if it will be disappointing. (Quite funny, John..."

I will stay tuned here to see if the show starts getting any positive reviews, but I won't be watching. Especially when rumor is Mindhunter Season 2 is likely to drop next month!

message 22: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7255 comments I watched the premiere yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure what I can say about it aside that it was the typical hot mess that AHS usually is. The only semi normal character seems to be Joan Collins and that is probably saying a lot.

message 23: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) | 516 comments I watched the first episode and I'm sticking with it. At this point, I may be the only one in the group to do so (ha!), but I'm intrigued on where this is going to go. I'm still not over that whole "The stew is Stu!" line and I need to know more about The Cooperative.

message 24: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7255 comments Ha, yeah that line was funny.

message 25: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments So 2nd episode is over and I'm still not sold yet. They brought a certain character back and my first question is how is it even possible for them to be there? Ugh, I'm not trying to pick this show a part but Ryan Murphy has become so predictable and not in a good way. I'll keep watching but I need to see quality.

message 26: by Tim (new)

Tim Gunter | 154 comments Justin wrote: "So 2nd episode is over and I'm still not sold yet. They brought a certain character back and my first question is how is it even possible for them to be there? Ugh, I'm not trying to pick this show..."

I'm not sold at all either. Only reason I plan on continuing with it is because I'm still enjoying how bad it really is. As for the returning character. (view spoiler)

I've also got to say, that ending of the episode really turned me off. I know it was meant to be some shocking wow moment, but just, why? You'd think they'd learn after 7 seasons to stop trying to throw everything but the kitchen sink into their season, since they're never able to pull off the execution of all their ideas.

message 27: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7255 comments Justin wrote: "So 2nd episode is over and I'm still not sold yet. They brought a certain character back and my first question is how is it even possible for them to be there? Ugh, I'm not trying to pick this show..."

I thought the second episode was worse then the premiere. I don't know if Murphy just threw darts at a board when he was coming up with these plot ideas or what. I guess it just shows you, after eight seasons, they have literally run out of storylines.

message 28: by ~Teresa (new)

~Teresa | 4 comments I’ve watched the first two episodes and so far I’m thinking hot mess! I’ll watch for another episode or two because I have so many questions. Although I am guessing I’ll have even more questions!
Rubber man??

I didn’t watch last season at all. It was even more of a mess, in my opinion, than this season so far.

message 29: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments Yeah, he said he wouldn't do any more shock value but this definitely seems like it to me.

message 30: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) | 516 comments Teresa wrote: "I’ve watched the first two episodes and so far I’m thinking hot mess! I’ll watch for another episode or two because I have so many questions. Although I am guessing I’ll have even more questions!
..."

The Rubber Man was from the 1st season, Murder House. It would be fitting since Langdon is back and all grown up. I found that if I have any questions or missed something, the YT channel GameSpot Universe does a good breakdown of the episodes to help. I'm sticking with it as I need to know what the deal is with Ms. Mead.

message 31: by ~Teresa (new)

~Teresa | 4 comments Thanks! I'll check it out. I'm set to record Episode 3. Not all in my house have the same taste in shows, movies or books that I have. :0

Ahh, Rubber Man from Murder House! My favorite season!!

message 32: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) | 516 comments Teresa wrote: "Thanks! I'll check it out. I'm set to record Episode 3. Not all in my house have the same taste in shows, movies or books that I have. :0

Ahh, Rubber Man from Murder House! My favorite season!!"

Right?! I love that season too. It's been too long since we had a good rubber man. I mean, Bloody Face was cool, but Rubber Man is where it's at. LOL.

message 33: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments What was the reason behind Tate being rubber man in the first season anyway?

message 34: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) | 516 comments Justin wrote: "What was the reason behind Tate being rubber man in the first season anyway?"

To set up the murders of Chad and Patrick like a murder-suicide and also as a way to let them believe that the house was haunted. He was actually doing a LOT with the rubber suit in the first season, it was weird, but interesting.

message 35: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments Ah, I forgot about all that So thank you

message 36: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments Saw episode 3..it's not getting any better in fact it annoyed me. Either the connection is going to be epic or its gonna fall flat and nothing will be explained. So far I'm really on the fence about it.

message 37: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments so Murder House came into the season. I did think while this episode has promise it lacked depth of what made murder house scary. Its almost like they're saying that nothing is as evil as Michael Langdon which is such crap.

message 38: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) | 516 comments I personally liked the Murder House episode. I feel like that they did a good job in bringing in some missing pieces and adding to the story. The dynamic between Madison and Behold is funny to watch and I do like them together even if they hate each other's guts. I live for Madison's stylist. There were some things that seemed unnecessary, like the Black Dahlia scene and Anton LaVey (really?), but overall, it seemed to be a really easy way to bring a lot of the story together so that even a new watcher would be able to catch on quickly without going overboard with detail. I'm looking forward to tonight's episode.

message 39: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments I have a bad feeling murder house is all done in this season and if they do go back there it'll be crap and sentimental. This season is just odd and not in a good way.

message 40: by Tim (new)

Tim Gunter | 154 comments Haven't watched the latest episode yet, but I'm having some pretty mixed feelings about the season. I'm digging some of the recent episodes, but having jumped backwards in time as they did it really killed the pacing to me. I just feel like it could have all been done so much better.

message 41: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments The timeline and flashbacks are really confusing at times.

message 42: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) | 516 comments I didn't find the flashbacks confusing. They seem to be doing a really good job of explaining what happened to get the story to what caused all of this to happen in the first place. It is a lot of characters tho, I can definitely see where some confusion would come in because of that. But I personally love a good backstory and a lot of what wasn't seen in Season 1 is coming out now. Murder House was always my favorite and now they're just adding to it along with this new season.

message 43: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments I'm still not satisfied. It feels like the beginning characters were just so they could bring in three new witches, murder house was dummed down so they could make Michael look like the true evil he's supposed to be and now they're showing his backstory like we're supposed to feel for him or be interested..it's all seems unnecessary to me.

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 85 comments I am still on the fence on this season and yet I can't stop watching. If Ryan Murphy is going for car accident type fascination, he's succeeding.

message 45: by ~Teresa (new)

~Teresa | 4 comments I couldn’t take it any more. I’m done!

message 46: by JaeRavenClaw (new)

JaeRavenClaw (angelouspeacock) | 516 comments I'm planning to finish out the season. The last two episodes have been a little dramatic and somewhat over the top, but I'm sticking with it. Mutt and Jeff are not my favorite characters (even though I adore both Eicher and Peters) and it's really no stretch of the mind to know/figure out who ACTUALLY ended the world, but I'm sticking with it til the end, baby!

message 47: by Sharon/ LFrog1386 (last edited Nov 12, 2018 04:04PM) (new)

Sharon/ LFrog1386 (lfrog1386) | 85 comments I need to catch up. It's a sign that it's not must-see TV when I am not watching on demand the very next day.

message 48: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 2849 comments Its been kind of boring to be honest. I kept waiting for something to happen and it's all over the place and they keep introducing new characters. AHS should've ended after Hotel.

message 49: by Erin (new)

Erin (ems84) | 7255 comments Justin wrote: "Its been kind of boring to be honest. I kept waiting for something to happen and it's all over the place and they keep introducing new characters. AHS should've ended after Hotel."

Maybe it will end with season 9 but like anything else, if it's still considered a hit by the network they will keep it going until it's driven into the ground. Unless Murphy already has an end game planned for the series.

message 50: by WendyB (new)

WendyB  | 3128 comments Mod
Last night was the finale... don't know if that's for the season or the show.
But I liked this season and the ending to this storyline was darkly funny.

« previous 1