Goodreads Feedback discussion

Announcements > Facebook Automatic Sharing Discontinued

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emily, Community Manager (new)

Emily (emilyfortner) | 839 comments Mod
Hi everyone! As of today, Facebook will no longer support automatic sharing of your Goodreads activities to Facebook. Unfortunately this is a change on the Facebook side and not something that we’ll be able to bring back in the future. However, you can still talk about or recommend books from Goodreads to your friends on Facebook proactively using the share feature. To learn more, visit this help topic.

Please let us know if you have any questions about this!

message 2: by Max (new)

Max | 4 comments Would it be possible to add support to share my personal rating / review of a book to Facebook, rather than the generic book page?

message 3: by Jaclyn, Goodreads Expert (new)

Jaclyn Woods (Jaclyn_Woods) | 3834 comments Mod
Hi Max. For now it's only possible to share the book page using the share icons on the book pages. You can, however, post the URL of your review in a Facebook status update, as it will appear as follows:

message 4: by Ravindu (new)

Ravindu Thimantha Gamage (RavinduThimantha) | 1 comments Emily wrote: "Hi everyone! As of today, Facebook will no longer support automatic sharing of your Goodreads activities to Facebook. Unfortunately this is a change on the Facebook side and not something that we’l..."

Oh no... Does this mean that I won't be able to add books to my Facebook Timeline's 'Books' section via Goodreads anymore? :/ That's a bummer.

message 5: by Jaclyn, Goodreads Expert (new)

Ravindu wrote: "Oh no... Does this mean that I won't be able to add books to my Facebook Timeline's 'Books' section via Goodreads anymore? :/ That's a bummer."

Unfortunately not, sorry Ravindu.

message 6: by Max (new)

Max | 4 comments Jaclyn wrote: "Hi Max. For now it's only possible to share the book page using the share icons on the book pages. You can, however, post the URL of your review in a Facebook status update, as it will appear as fo..."

That works well enough. Thanks!

message 7: by Charles (new)

Charles Hang | 1 comments Jaclyn wrote: "Hi Max. For now it's only possible to share the book page using the share icons on the book pages.

Are there any plans to expand the type of sharing that can be done on Facebook? For example, are there any plans to allow users to manually share things like "starting a book" or "finishing a book?"

Additionally, the ability to share reviews using a URL is helpful, but for reviews that have just a number of stars and no review text, it would be nice to have the stars show at the top of the Facebook post, in the same "Person reviewed book--X*" (where X is the number of stars) format. For that matter, it would be nice to be able to post a textless review with just stars, rather than the current awkward format where you have X/5: (Text) where (Text) is blank if you didn't write anything. Are there any plans to implement anything like either of these two ideas?

Anyway, thank you for your information about this change!

message 8: by Jaclyn, Goodreads Expert (new)

Hi Charles. This isn't something that we're looking into right now but I can definitely see how more versatile Facebook sharing options can be useful and will let the team know your suggestions!

message 9: by Josh (new)

Josh (joshogle) | 2 comments Jaclyn wrote: "Hi Charles. This isn't something that we're looking into right now but I can definitely see how more versatile Facebook sharing options can be useful and will let the team know your suggestions!"

What specifically did Facebook change (api-wise) that makes this not possible anymore?

message 10: by Emily, Community Manager (last edited Jul 31, 2018 09:41AM) (new)

Emily (emilyfortner) | 839 comments Mod
Josh wrote: "What specifically did Facebook change (api-wise) that makes this not possible anymore?"

As of August 1, Facebook will no longer allow third parties to automatically post on a user's behalf. You can read more about the changes in this TechCrunch article.

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (Loader1810) | 5 comments For me this is a bonus! I hated that I had to click in two separate places to stop my review being shared on Facebook because I would always end up missing one of them!

message 12: by Maurizio (new)

Maurizio Codogno (xmau) | 24 comments Today I was puzzled, since I did not find the "send to Facebook" button anymore. Luckily the internal search in Goodreads worked fine and I found this thread.

It is funny that I log into Goodreads with my Facebook account but it does not let Goodreads post on my behalf,

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie (Jhullie) | 1 comments This is so annoying, a lot of my friends on FB liked to see my reviews and chose their reading material through them. It was so much easier to just tap the icon. My FB page looks quite barren now without my Goodreads activity.

message 14: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithdale) | 10 comments Ugh. This stinks. Oh well. It is out of Goodreads control. Thanks for letting us know.

message 15: by Rafael (new)

Rafael da Silva (Morfindel) | 207 comments It seems that this new policy will afect not only GR. I just realize that twitter and youtube lost this feature too.

message 16: by Mikael (new)

Mikael (mikaelronnback) | 13 comments There is, I believe, an additional setback due to this new policy. Previously I could add books to the list/section of read books on Facebook either by adding them directly through Facebook, which is very limiting since they mostly have big or new titles, and not very many translated or local language titles at all.
Or I could add to the list by publishing a book with a “read” status from Goodreads to Facebook.

It appears this would no longer be possible since I can only publish links now? Which I assume only count as just links and not as whatever kind of object is required for it to be shown in the Books section?
I can’t really check since on vacation and the Books section does not show in the mobile app, but if true, in my opinion this would make the Books section on Facebook a so much poorer experience.

message 17: by Brady (new)

Brady Fish (schlechtkorper) | 2 comments I liked posting when I was making progress on my book to FB. I wish this could be re-implemented. Do we have Cambridge Analytica to thank for this degrade in social media cohesion?

message 18: by Rumell Khan (new)

Rumell Khan RumellKINTJType1and5 (RumellKhan) | 347 comments I do share my stuff with FB sometimes. To be honest I don't really use FB that often. I only use it if I need share views from sites like this one and other sites such as quizzes or politics.

message 19: by Shaun, Goodreads Expert (new)

Shaun (sponting) | 4436 comments Mod
Brady wrote: "I liked posting when I was making progress on my book to FB. I wish this could be re-implemented. Do we have Cambridge Analytica to thank for this degrade in social media cohesion?"

For what it's worth, you can still share progress updates manually by copy/pasting URLs into your Facebook status update. To find your progress update page go to Home page > click percentage next to currently reading book > click timestamp of the status update you'd like to post > copy/paste that URL to Facebook.

I hope this helps!

message 20: by Laz (new)

Laz the Sailor (Laz7) | 56 comments Instagram still links directly, but FB owns them, so that makes sense.

Strava still links directly, as does ReverbNation. I wonder what other apps have lost their direct linking ability.

message 21: by Darius (last edited Aug 18, 2018 08:48AM) (new)

Darius (dariusp) | 3 comments This is downright retarted.

Okay, remove DEFAULT automatic sharing (I don't mind) BUT at least leave us an option to KEEP automatic sharing. The intention was to remove Facebook-Goodreads connection that is created by default, right? Not to remove the connection entirely?

Why are people so dumb when it comes to implementing a change? Because of this my familiars might as well just assume I've stopped reading. Great job.
I don't want to exemplify that.

Also what Mikael said.

P.S. I don't blame Goodreads if you say this is a change on the Facebook side. I still wish, however, that we get our options back. Aim for flexibility.

Dannie  *migraine in 5..4..3..* (Dannie_evans) | 893 comments Darius wrote: "This is downright retarted.

Okay, remove DEFAULT automatic sharing (I don't mind) BUT at least leave us an option to KEEP automatic sharing. The intention was to remove Facebook-Goodreads connect..."

It was Facebook's change so no point slamming GR for one of the few features they had no control over. You may want to look into all the connections facebook terminated. It wasn't GR only. GR can't share if facebook is refusing.

Considering the amount of hackers here using Russian mixed with the use of facebook by Russians to effect public opinion, I can't fault facebook. We have no idea if any of those accounts were connected or if those linked accounts were using the connected sharing to not require hacking facebook because it was easier here.

message 23: by Martina (new)

Martina | 1 comments FB sucks. I believe they did it so that more people use their status built-in feature of tagging a reading of a book, the same goes or adding books into the book tab on profile :( It was so much easier, goodreads activity were basically the only posts on my profile, now it will be blank and I’ll have to do a double job by adding books in there.

message 24: by Darius (new)

Darius (dariusp) | 3 comments Dannie *migraine in 5..4..3..* wrote: "Darius wrote: "This is downright retarted.

Okay, remove DEFAULT automatic sharing (I don't mind) BUT at least leave us an option to KEEP automatic sharing. The intention was to remove Facebook-Go..."

I don't understand what the hell you're talking about. Can you elaborate more on your Russian conspiracy?

message 25: by Tal (new)

Tal | 765 comments @Darius, lol, it has nothing to do with russia. just FB reigning in 3rd party app integration after the Cambridge Analytic PR debacle.
https://gizmodo.com/facebook-will-fin...

message 26: by Riku (new)

Riku Sayuj (RenegadeTramP) | 39 comments Laz wrote: "Instagram still links directly, but FB owns them, so that makes sense.

Strava still links directly, as does ReverbNation. I wonder what other apps have lost their direct linking ability."

In that case is it a GR side issue?

message 27: by Brady (last edited Aug 19, 2018 03:44PM) (new)

Brady Fish (schlechtkorper) | 2 comments Shaun wrote: "Brady wrote: "I liked posting when I was making progress on my book to FB. I wish this could be re-implemented. Do we have Cambridge Analytica to thank for this degrade in social media cohesion?"

..."

Hey Shaun. Thanks for the follow up. That is a lot of clicks! Also the format of the FB post looks wonky now. Props for technically finding what I needed though. I appreciate it.

photo GR_zpsi8bmhshs.png

message 28: by Darius (new)

Darius (dariusp) | 3 comments Brady wrote: "Shaun wrote: "Brady wrote: "I liked posting when I was making progress on my book to FB. I wish this could be re-implemented. Do we have Cambridge Analytica to thank for this degrade in social medi..."

Yeah, looks super bad compared to previous.

Dannie  *migraine in 5..4..3..* (Dannie_evans) | 893 comments Darius wrote: "Can you elaborate more on your Russian conspiracy?."

Conspiracy? Due to the proof, including the admittance of it been done, the payment trail, the ads found.... it happened. Just because they dound this use in no way says it is the only abuse of the system. Some of the interference was auto posting. Again, not the only abuse, but is included with the distribution of false news articles.

I don’t see how knowing that and saying that we don't know how many of those were achieved via 3rd party posts via access gained from the massive issues with hacking here makes a conspiracy.

My point was, if hackers get accounts and want to cross post their spam, the auto posting made it a lot easier. Many shared posts that fell into the facebook issues were shared via the auto posting via other sites, per what was disclosed. It just stands to reason if they already have hacked into one site, they no longer needed to hack the other. All any hacker needs to do is choose the easier social media sites that cross posts, hack that, and gain access to post on all connected sites. Hackers won't bother hacking 10 sites when one will do.

Cambridge Analytica wasn't 3rd party app auto posting, but users gave the company access to their info thus providing them with info from friends only posts they wouldn't have had without those users. The tos forbid the scraping, collecting, and selling of user data.

The article Tal shared only says it is part of regaining trust after Cambridge Analytica, but it does not say this is to stop that from happening again. Cambridge Analytica had users download apps to scrape data, not auto post on their behalf. Their app was killed in 2015, and the news of this currently was around not deleting all the scraped data from before as was ordered.

Facebook and Cambridge Analytica: What You Need to Know as Fallout Widens

Changes in regard to 3rd party apps actually attributed to Cambridge Analytica involve access to personal information which is a separate permisson from posting, so not exactly the same thing.

Funny how removing data is being blamed for stopping incoming data right after the fallout for intereference and false news being posted hit after Cambridge Analytica. Rebuilding of trust isn't just due to Cambridge Analytica.

Riku wrote: "In that case is it a GR side issue"

As has been pointed out time and again, it is Facebook who changed their policy on receiving auto posts from all other connecting sites. GR has nothing in it besides letting their users know facebook stopped allowing the sharing in the way it was happening.

Another site affected by this was twitter if that makes you feel better.

Instagram had already been altered by facebook, and they included a change in the info with Instagram graph api at this time. So instagram's sharing api didn't get through unscathed either.

I don't see why people think GR controls facebook policies and features. GR didn’t call up facebook and go "hey, we want to not use auto posting so completely remove auto posting as an option for every site."

message 30: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 10 comments That’s bad news. I loved sharing my books on Facebook.

message 31: by Pat (new)

Pat Patterson | 1 comments Oh, Alas!
I JUST finished reading and reviewing a bunch of the finalists for the 2018 Dragon Awards.
Usually, when I review a book, I review it on my blog, then I condense that and put it on Amazon, and then copy the Amazon review to Goodreads, with a link to my blog post.
I really liked having the Goodreads link on my FB page, because Goodreads manages to include the cover image graphic in the review, and Amazon doesn't (for me at least, for the last couple of years, I think.)
And now, I have to take a couple of extra steps to get my Goodreads reviews up.
Poot.
I wish I had some way of measuring the views. I can see how many page views my blog gets, but the ONLY way I have of knowing how many of my Amazon reviews get read is by the number of 'helpful' votes they get. A couple of times, I've gotten a message that someone (usually the author!) liked a Goodreads review I had posted.

message 32: by Christian (new)

Christian Zamora-Dahmen It is not that difficult to share a review on Facebook when I'm on the computer. But when on the cellphone, I can't find any way to get a link to share.
A "get link" button would be quite helpful.

message 33: by Tim (new)

Tim (TechThing) | 151 comments Christian wrote: "It is not that difficult to share a review on Facebook when I'm on the computer. But when on the cellphone, I can't find any way to get a link to share.
A "get link" button would be quite helpful."

See https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/6....

message 34: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (DebraPTJ) | 207 comments I just tried to use the new share links on GR to share my review on FB. The link shows up then starts to shrink and elongate. Then disappears all together.
I checked the
Help Topic
HOW CAN I SHARE A BOOK TO FACEBOOK?
Nothing works.
Is there no longer any way to share to FB from GR at all?

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 2068 comments Rafael wrote: "It seems that this new policy will afect not only GR. I just realize that twitter and youtube lost this feature too."

Oh is that why Youtube videos no longer post on Facebook? That has been annoying me to no end.

message 36: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (DebraPTJ) | 207 comments Jaclyn wrote: "Hi Max. For now it's only possible to share the book page using the share icons on the book pages. You can, however, post the URL of your review in a Facebook status update, as it will appear as fo..."

I tried that Jaclyn and it would not work for me.

message 37: by Shaun, Goodreads Expert (new)

Debra wrote: "I tried that Jaclyn and it would not work for me."

What platform are you attempting to share from (desktop website / Android / iOS)?

I've tested sharing out on desktop and seems to be working fine. If you're trying to share from desktop site, it could be a browser issue that you're experiencing. Please try the following to address the issue:

1. Delete your cookies.
2. Clear your cache.
3. Disable any pop-up blockers.
4. Check if JavaScript is enabled.

If the problem persists, do you see this issue across multiple browsers (we recommend trying Chrome or Firefox if you haven't already)?

message 38: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (DebraPTJ) | 207 comments Shaun wrote: "Debra wrote: "I tried that Jaclyn and it would not work for me."

What platform are you attempting to share from (desktop website / Android / iOS)?

I've tested sharing out on desktop and seems to..."

It is from my laptop computer I was trying to share from. I have 3 books that I just did reviews on to share, so I will try your recommendations to see if those work Shaun.
Oh, btw, I use Chrome.

message 39: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (DebraPTJ) | 207 comments Shaun wrote: "Debra wrote: "I tried that Jaclyn and it would not work for me."

I've tested sharing out on desktop and seems to..."

Shaun, I
1. Deleted my cookies.
2. Cleared my cache.
3. Disabled any pop-up blockers and added GR web site to the allow
4. Checked that my JavaScript is enabled.
none of that solved the problem.
When I click the FB share button at the top of the books page it pops up then starts narrowing and elongating until it becomes a long grey rectangle that extends to the entire page and has no text box etc.
I don't know what to do.

message 40: by Shaun, Goodreads Expert (new)

Debra wrote: "When I click the FB share button at the top of the books page it pops up then starts narrowing and elongating until it becomes a long grey rectangle that extends to the entire page and has no text box etc.
I don't know what to do. ..."

We've been testing this out and have been able to replicate this issue on one of our setups here at the office. I've filed a report for our developers review. Sorry about this!

In the meantime as a workaround, feel free to copy/paste the book URL into a Facebook status update — this will also share the page in question.

message 41: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (DebraPTJ) | 207 comments Shaun wrote: "Debra wrote: "When I click the FB share button at the top of the books page it pops up then starts narrowing and elongating until it becomes a long grey rectangle that extends to the entire page an..."

Thank you Shaun.
The copy/paste to my FB status is how I've been working around it. It's like old times when I 1st joined GR before I realized I could use your share original share buttons.
Old ladies learn slowly.

message 42: by Laz (new)

Laz the Sailor (Laz7) | 56 comments Debra wrote: "Old ladies learn slowly. "

But they never forget...

message 43: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (DebraPTJ) | 207 comments Laz the Sailor Debra wrote: "Old ladies learn slowly. "

But they never forget...

Very true Laz!

message 44: by Debra (new)

Debra Johnson (DebraPTJ) | 207 comments Shaun wrote: "We've been testing this out and have been able to replicate this issue on one of our setups here at the office. I've filed a report for our developers review. Sorry about this! ..."

Yeah! It's fixed.
Thank you Shaun and all the GR developers!
😊 💃 🤸‍♀️

message 45: by CJ (last edited Sep 23, 2018 10:22AM) (new)

CJ Scurria (goodreadscomcj_scurria) | 26 comments Emily wrote: "Josh wrote: "What specifically did Facebook change (api-wise) that makes this not possible anymore?"

As of August 1, Facebook will no longer allow third parties to automatically post on a user's behalf. You can read more about the changes in this TechCrunch article."

Wow. I have yet to click the article but it seems Facebook has been withdrawing from more than one site not just here. Strange.

message 46: by Shaun, Goodreads Expert (new)

Debra wrote: "Yeah! It's fixed.
Thank you Shaun and all the GR developers!
😊 💃 🤸‍♀️"

Excellent! 😎

message 47: by Riku (new)

Riku Sayuj (RenegadeTramP) | 39 comments message 16: Mikael wrote: "There is, I believe, an additional setback due to this new policy. Previously I could add books to the list/section of read books on Facebook either by adding them directly through Facebook, which ..."

GR mods, pls update on this. Adding books on fb has become impossible now since they have no idea about 99% of books in the world...

message 48: by Shaun, Goodreads Expert (last edited Sep 28, 2018 04:39AM) (new)

Riku wrote: "message 16: Mikael wrote: "There is, I believe, an additional setback due to this new policy. Previously I could add books to the list/section of read books on Facebook either by adding them direct..."

Sorry about this, Riku. The displayed book information on Facebook is pulled from their database rather than ours. As Facebook's a separate entity to Goodreads we're unable to influence how and where their platform pulls book data from. We'd like work together with Facebook, where we can, and improve this process in the future. Thanks for your feedback here, it's been passed on to the team.

message 49: by Maggie (new)

Maggie (MaggiesEscape) | 1 comments I have no problem sharing my review on my FB timeline by clicking the share icon, but it seems like that I cannot share it on my FB page. I tried sharing my FB post from my timeline to my page and copy and paste GR URL to my post on my page - it didn't work both ways. Error message "The message could not be posted to this Timeline". Any suggestions?

message 50: by Oussama (new)

Oussama Teiar | 1 comments Hi guys ... thank your for your hard work

Just wanted to know if there is any possibility that you guys provide Facebook with those book infos .... every time we want to update our Facebook book section the engine doesn't recognise 99% of the books ... that's totally not their field obviously.

« previous 1