Play Book Tag discussion

Senior Year: A Father, A Son, and High School Baseball
This topic is about Senior Year
Archive: Other Books > Senior Year: A Father, A son, and High School Baseball - Dan Shaughnessy - 2 Stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments This book is not what I thought it was. I love Shaughnessy's work. Hes an avid baseball fan, and a writer for the Boston Globe.

I hoped this book would be a book about the love of baseball, a connection between a son and father.

Instead I found it to be the father living vicariously through his son, wishing his son respected the game better, but also enabling a me first attitude in his son. I found the book boring, self aggrandizing and yet self deprecating at the same time. Like a, I wasn't good, but at least I did it the right way and my son is awesome, he doesn't do it the right way, but sometimes he does. He's just a kid and he will learn. He has to learn on his own.

Not what I wanted to read.

message 2: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 714 comments Anita and I both have a love of baseball, but I think we should both avoid this book. Doesn't sound worth the time.

message 3: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2339 comments What a shame - this could have been so much better. Your review makes me feel sorry for his son

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review but sad. I have known some fathers, and even mothers like this. The kids grew up to hate the sport that they loved as kids and never reconciled what went wrong.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments The kid had some serious failure issues. Seems the dad has belonging issues.