Play Book Tag discussion

Us Against You (Beartown, #2)
This topic is about Us Against You
Archive: Other Books > Us Against You - Fredrik Backman - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments A quote from the book
"In many years' time we may not know what to call this story. We will say it was a story about violence. About Hate. About conflict and differences and communities that tore themselves apart. But that won't be true, at least not entirely.
"Its also a different sort of story"

The sequel to Beartown. The story becomes so many things, represents so many things, empowers so many differences that no summary or review can do this book justice.

Backman's writing style...little snapshots of events compiled together to create a big picture is unique, uncomfortable, but also perfect. The view into a small, conservative, closed minded town gives insight into the peoples deepest emotions, fears, and dreams. It highlights the difficulty of change, of being different, of being the same, and of just being. Who is good and who is bad is a blury line that disappears in this story.

The only part of the book that was off-putting is several of my favorite characters become too unreliable and the small misdirection statements. They statements were always true, but not applied how you are lead to believe, but then again, those statements kept me finishing chapter after chapter well into the nite.

Backman is hands down my favorite author. He understands people, emotions, motivation, and passion.

message 2: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments Your review has me excited to get to this after my Man Booker reading is finished. Thanks Jason.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I hope you enjoy it even half as much as I did.

Karin | 6888 comments I'm glad you liked this, too!

Ellen | 2053 comments Loved this one too! If it wasn't that my heart already belongs to the late Kent Haruf, Backman would be my favorite author as well.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8185 comments Jason, I love reading your reviews because you’re a beautiful writer with and incisive perspective. I’m excited to start Beartown, which is just a block or two away.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Love your review. I have not read this author but he seems to be well loved. I'll need to add both of these books onto my TBR.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Amy, Rachel, thankyou for your kind words.

Ellen, I have not read Kent Haruf. I will look into him.

Kelly | 774 comments Nice review! I agree that this is a great book and in the last year or so Backman has become a favorite of mine as well.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I should start this in July..