What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA? Medieval Fantasy series. Magic-using woman travels to magical priestess, with young male soldier/warrior/hunter protecting her. She heals? his injury. Romance. Read before early 2000's. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by iamtedae (new)

iamtedae | 14 comments By series I mean I remember at least two books. That might be all, but it's possible that there's a third book. It’s probably YA, but can’t be sure. I don’t remember many details, but here’s the gist:

-Traditional non-specific medieval fantasy setting. I think. Forests, swords, bows and arrows, magic. I don't think it was a hard-core fantasy like LOTR, more like Tamora Pierce or Tanith Lee.

“Priestess” is used loosely. Young woman was involved in some kind of religious order, probably as a trainee. She had some access to magic of some sort, probably healing. She might have had red hair. I remember her as being cranky or easily angered, but that might be subjective.

-Young man was some sort of soldier, hunter, or warrior. He gets injured and the woman either heals him or takes care of him while he heals. Or both.

-They travel together during the first book; I believe he is protecting her on her way to magical priestess HQ. I believe they are separated for most of the second book.

-At one point the woman is concerned because she sees the man adding something to his food ( she might have seen him getting it from a questionable person in a marketplace), and she’s concerned that it’s poison, but it turns out to be hot sauce.

-Things of course get complicated in a romantic way and she’s knocked up at the beginning of the second book. Her boss gets her to acknowledge this by taking advantage of her morning sickness with carefully chosen food.

-There is a scene where the man is sick or injured and hallucinating and believes the woman to be a former(?) lover

-The third book that may or may not belong to this series would be about their son and the changeling that temporarily replaced him and was adopted after his parents got him back. I really don't know if I'm remembering this right--it could be something similar I read around the same time. So take this with a grain of salt.

I probably read this in the early 90’s, definitely no later than early 2000's, and I have no idea if it was new then, I got it from the library. The copy/copies I read were hardcover.

I’m currently reading Marion Zimmer Bradley’s “The Forest House” because I thought it was this one, but it’s not. Too old-fashioned in the writing style, and too much reference to actual history.

Any help is appreciated!

message 2: by Divya (new)

Divya (kylia) | 22 comments Wild guess but some details are similar...

The Wayfarer Redemption (Wayfarer Redemption, #1) by Sara Douglass

message 3: by iamtedae (new)

iamtedae | 14 comments I don’t think this is it, but it’s not one I’ve seen come up in my searches yet, so I’ll check. Thank you!

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
iamtedae, I added some details to the header/topic title at the top of the page, so your book might be recognized from that description alone. Many members only read the headers.

You can update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36637 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of The Wayfarer Redemption by Sara Douglass - Divya's suggestion:

https://books.google.com/books?id=uUN... There are different cover images.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 214 comments It sounds just a bit like The Queen of Blood except that has minimal romance.