The Sword and Laser discussion

Jade City (The Green Bone Saga, #1)
This topic is about Jade City
Jade City > JC: August 2018 Pick: Jade City by Fonda Lee

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Jul 25, 2018 09:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6756 comments Mod
Recent March Madness participant /June Fantasy poll runner-up Jade City by Fonda Lee has been selected as the August pick.

Cut to Dara celebrating...

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Yesss! Excellent choice! :-D

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments Yay! This was one I had voted for back during March Madness. I’ve read it already, but it’s pretty good and I hope you folks enjoy

Trike | 8297 comments ^5

Erik Melin | 114 comments Nice! One of the books that I was really interested in during March Madness

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 481 comments That's moderately long (19 hrs on Audible) but let's give it a go!

Ruth | 989 comments Cool I’ve been wanting to read this one! And my local library has a copy 😎

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments Here is my review, which I consider non-spoilery.

Trike | 8297 comments My elevator pitch for Jade City would be “The Godfather meets Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.” Best of all, it lives up to that.

message 10: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments That's a good pitch.

I did a little cross promotion in Felicia Day's Discord server. She mentioned Jade City on her podcast (episode #8) so hopefully a few people from that crowd will join us.

message 11: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2296 comments Just to clarify, not this Jade City in BC, the other one. ;-)

message 12: by Iain (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1305 comments No library copy e or paper... Amazon here I come..

Robert Lee (harlock415) | 256 comments It was between this and Poppy War that I was voting in the June ballot. I would have been happy with either. Great choice.

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments I read this book a few months ago but already struggle to recall a lot of the details. It didn't stick hard in my memory.

message 15: by Clyde (last edited Jul 27, 2018 08:18PM) (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 412 comments OK. Got it (via the S&L "Picks" page). The Kindle version is just $2.99!

message 16: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments https://www.amazon.com/Jade-City-Gree...

Here’s a direct link for the book through S&L’s Picks.

message 17: by Iain (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1305 comments Dara wrote: "https://www.amazon.com/Jade-City-Gree...

Here’s a direc..."

If elsewhere, just replace the .com with your favourite store.... The pick will still hold (e.g. .co.uk)

message 18: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
It is a nice coincidence that the iPad Kindle app added a green theme just as we are about to start "Jade City"

Synchronicity :-)

message 19: by Troy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Troy | 85 comments Jade City is part of Audible's Sci-Fi and Fantasy sale for $6.95. Members only and the sale runs till August 2nd.

message 20: by Mark (last edited Jul 29, 2018 08:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2296 comments Here's the author introducing Jade City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnMFW...

message 21: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

I am loving the book so far.

But it's hard keeping track of all the characters with similar sounding names, especially given the family name first format.

I found this list of principal characters on Fonda Lee's website helpful.

http://fondalee.com/wp-content/upload...

Also for those doing the audiobook, here is a page of maps and a chart showing the Hierarchy of a Green Bone clan.

http://fondalee.com/books/jade-city/j...

None of this content is spoilery.

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 481 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "I am loving the book so far.

But it's hard keeping track of all the characters with similar sounding names, especially given the family name first format.

I found this list of principal characters..."

Thanks for those links. I was having the same issue keeping track of the character names in the first few (audio) chapters.

message 23: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

For me it is essential for those minor characters.

I added the list as a Note at the very start of the book (On iPad Kindle App). It is just a button press away while I'm reading.

message 24: by Bill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill (bsimoni) | 9 comments Not sure if this is a sale price or when it might end, but I just bought the e-book from Amazon for $2.99.

message 25: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2296 comments Coming September 29, a live Google Hangout with Fonda Lee

Read For Pixels 2018 (Fall Edition): Fonda Lee Reading+Q&A Session

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygZad...

message 26: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Here's Fonda Lee's AMA from November 2017, shortly after Jade City was published:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comm...

Nathan (tenebrous) | 377 comments Awsome book, Just finished it today.

message 28: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2471 comments Bill wrote: "Not sure if this is a sale price or when it might end, but I just bought the e-book from Amazon for $2.99."

As far as I can tell it's always been that price.

Rekka (rekka-jay) Listened to this one in audio after meeting Fonda Lee in Pittsburgh in May. Already knew I wanted to read her work after seeing her tweet movie recs. Finished the novel on a trip to Balticon the following weekend. I know you guys will enjoy this read, and I'm really looking forward to the next entry in the series.

message 30: by Dara (last edited Aug 03, 2018 08:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Rekka wrote: "Listened to this one in audio after meeting Fonda Lee in Pittsburgh in May.

DAMMIT I missed her her in Pittsburgh cause I was away on vacation. CURSES.

Rekka (rekka-jay) I have learned to book no vacations around the writing conferences I want to attend! The Nebulas feel like home and everyone is amazing there. <3

message 32: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments That vacation was incredibly necessary to my mental health so I'm not that mad about it. Still a tiny bit miffed but I wouldn't change it, haha.

Michel Avenali (readershaven) | 6 comments My second Sword and Laser pick -I'm relatively new to the podcast- and I am so excited to start it. The book has had some great buzz.

Robert Lee (harlock415) | 256 comments I'm only about half way through the book because I've been so busy. But I did run into Fonda Lee at Worldcon and she did express that she was influenced by not only Hong kong gangster movies, The Godfather, Kung Fu movies, but also Kurosawa. Not bad influences if you ask me.

terpkristin | 4132 comments I finally started the book a couple of days ago and came across two things I'm curious about. I don't think they merit threads on their own (if they do, I'll start one), but maybe someone can weigh-in...

What is a stone-eye? Is it someone with blue eyes? Gray? Green?
What is circle chess? Is it this or something more like Go? Given that this seems Asian, Byzantine and/or west Asian just doesn't feel right, but maybe it is...

message 36: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2296 comments a stone-eye is someone who isn't affected by jade, so they can carve it, transport it, etc

message 37: by Sheila Jean (last edited Aug 22, 2018 08:12AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sheila Jean | 317 comments Mark wrote: "a stone-eye is someone who isn't affected by jade, so they can carve it, transport it, etc"

More specifically a stone-eye is born to a Green Bone family. So it's someone in the blood line that didn't inherit the ability to use Jade. They're typically considered "bad luck" or "cursed".

From an AMA by Fonda Lee: "In a world where jade is revered, the term "stone-eye" suggests something inert and disappointing, like a promising boulder from a jade mine that turns out to be just a rock without any green inside." link

message 38: by Dara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments What they said about stone eyes.

I assumed circle chess to be something akin to Chinese Checkers.

Bryan Spencer (bryanspencer) | 34 comments *No Spoilers*
I have to say that I enjoyed this book, I have not been a fan of the recent Fantasy picks but this one was so good, I can not wait for the next in this series. The Family, Clan, and Magic along with the story all mixed really well.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Jade City (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Fonda Lee (other topics)