Men's Book Club discussion

Baa Baa Black Sheep
This topic is about Baa Baa Black Sheep
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Archives > Book of the Month > (BoM) Summer 2018 - Baa Baa Black Sheep, by Gregory Boyington

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bill, Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bill K | 115 comments Mod
I know that Summer is well underway--unfortunately the Book of the Month selections have been neglected. In order to get us back on track, the Summertime group read will be Baa Baa Black Sheep, by Gregory Boyington

Edward (ladd101) | 31 comments Perfect, just started it a few days ago.

message 3: by J. (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. Boo | 7 comments It's a very good read. Not entirely truthful, though, when reading, it feels that way. Boyington's personality does shine through.

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Reider | 8 comments Ok. I downloaded. Have it all queued up.

Edward (ladd101) | 31 comments I guess we'll never know how much the author embellished, exaggerated, or perhaps even lied about. Who's really to say that, although hard to believe, it's not all true? Or perhaps it's almost all true. What does seem irrefutable is that Boyington was a war hero and a colorful personality. Halfway done and really enjoying the book so far.

message 6: by Bill, Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

I got a bit of a late start on it. Not sure how much is true or not, or if it even matters--seems to be an enjoyable read so far.

Edward (ladd101) | 31 comments Anyone have thoughts on the book? Without offering spoilers (for those who may still be reading), I felt the book was a good "Men's Book Club" selection because it offered action, adventure, humor and heroics. He was even philosophical at times. Amazing that the author could endure the war and come away without hatred and bitterness toward the Japanese people.

message 8: by Bill, Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have to agree pretty much with what J said above. It's a good read, and I think that it reflects Boyington's version of the truth.

I liked his comments about the Japanese people and his own struggles and personal issues.

message 9: by J. (last edited Aug 28, 2018 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

J. Boo | 7 comments I have heard that there was a very strong official push to let bygones be bygones. "Here's the list of people we blame, and they're all dead, so everyone else is nice, not that we should really talk about anything that happened." Huge change in attitudes towards the Japanese between 1945 and 1955 in the USA. Helped that almost none of the US was occupied, probably; contrast how, say, the Dutch felt about the Germans in the 1960s or how the Chinese feel towards the Japanese even now.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.