Christian Theological/Philosophical Book Club discussion

Theological Questions > Who's sins did Jesus die for? Who benefits from His sacrifice?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1586 comments According to the Bible, what are the answers to these questions?

1 John 2:2 - "And he is the propitiation for our sins : and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world ."

Romans 10:13 - "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert Drumheller | 37 comments Jesus died for the sins of the world that all mankind may be saved. We need to perform our part that is to confess that He is Lord and that believe that He is risen from the dead, as Romans 10:9-10 declares:
9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Those who confess Him as Lord will benefit by having their sins forgiven. Also, Jesus receives a greater benefit because He desires to spend eternity with us as Ephesians 1:17-19 declares:
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,

message 3: by T.R. (new)

T.R. Bosse | 20 comments Interesting, because I have this in my book except in a different vain -- "What Did the Cross Fulfill?" The Cross actually fulfilled nothing in the secular man.

An Excerpt:
"The Cross and its victory over Satan creates the automatic deliverance from sin and its consequences. That is simply not the case. While man acquired a sinful nature; Jesus lived a sinless life and did not acquire a sin-nature. Despite the fact that He paid the price for our sins, the structure of man did not change. In effect, nothing has changed until the individual makes the decision to transfer his allegiance from Satan, back to God. Jesus regained the dominion authority, but our inherited sin-nature allows Satan to continue to influence us in temptations and trespasses. As long as a sin-nature is prevalent in our life, Satan is always able to manipulate our shortcomings. He may be incapable of reading our mind, but he can observe the things that sway our tendencies toward the sin that so easily besets us."

So to answer your question -- yes He died for the sins of the world, but only if we choose to accept that fact through repentance and acceptance of what He accomplished on the Cross.

Our sins have to be paid for one way or the other. We can accept the price Jesus paid for our sins, or -- we can pay for our sins ourselves.

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert Dallmann (robert_dallmann) | 1586 comments T.R. wrote: "Our sins have to be paid for one way or the other. We can accept the price Jesus paid for our sins, or -- we can pay for our sins ourselves..."

My response: Very cool! I often say this when I am teaching believers or evangelizing the lost.

Sin is NOT EVER magical removed... the debt is ALWAYS paid for...

...either by receiving Christ and His sacrifice to satisfy the debt
or
...by paying the debt yourself eternally in the fires of hell (it will take more than an eternity to satisfy God's Holy judgment of sin.)