Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Year One Important Announcement

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
The mods were putting our collective heads together about year two and decided we are going to end year one at the end of October on Halloween.

The reasons being:

1. We enjoy the challenge but we are afraid of burnout for everybody including us. Not updating the spreadsheet for a few months would be nice.

2. We'll be posting rule changes and signup for year two. I think this will add some excitement.

3. Once we have list of who's playing we are going to do a draft with the same team captain looking to shake up the rosters. This is two fold. Hopefully everybody makes new friends and we avoid clickiness, not that there has been any but after two years you never know. Plus after a year we have a better idea of what everybody's point totals will be.

4. The standings really aren't going to change at this point. I think teams are locked into where they are.

5. Having the holidays off will be a nice benefit.

6. The time off and excitement of new teams should be fun.

message 2: by Lena (new)

Lena Ok

message 3: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16622 comments Should be interesting... some of the best aspects of this competition have been the sub-groups formed, I think... from the Tome Raiders thread to the weekly genre BR threads with 3-5 fast readers in them... nice addition to the monthly threads where we slowly read a series together...

message 4: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Iain wrote: "Should be interesting... some of the best aspects of this competition have been the sub-groups formed, I think... from the Tome Raiders thread to the weekly genre BR threads with 3-5 fast readers i..."

I agree. Hopefully the new teams generate that too and even more interaction and fun.

message 5: by Siobhan (new)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Sounds good!

message 6: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments May I make a suggestion? I think it would be fun to have little tasks every other month to complete as a team? Like create a team blazon or read a certain amout of books (as a team) from a list of favourite books?
I think this would lead to more interaction with the teammates. :)

message 7: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16622 comments That would be cool... I dunno what the monthly tasks would be, but they could act as a multiplier for your points on that book... they'd need to be something hard/different to warrant that... such as reading a short story anthology (something I don't normally do)

Didn't we talk about making the Monthy Book Club book more rewarding than regular buddy reads, as well?

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Anni wrote: "May I make a suggestion? I think it would be fun to have little tasks every other month to complete as a team? Like create a team blazon or read a certain amout of books (as a team) from a list of ..."

I'm open to suggestions. I also have so little artistic talent that my stick figures laugh at me.

message 9: by Bill (new)

Bill | 2150 comments I like this. I have a ton of challenges to finish and not that this prevented me from doing it but it will be one less thing to keep track of.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Anni wrote: "May I make a suggestion? I think it would be fun to have little tasks every other month to complete as a team? Like create a team blazon or read a certain amout of books (as a team) from a list of ..."

Oh I like that!

message 11: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16622 comments I know some people around here cosplay... or get author autographs...

message 12: by Frank (new)

Frank | 695 comments Darn, 10/31 cutoff this year, well there goes my run for 1,000 points, but I must say I am feeling a bit of burnout, reading so many series, then missing another one, because of commitments is a bummer.

I have a question on the current series that are scheduled thru 12/31/18 and beyond, and those books that run end of October with a completion date of early November, I assume will not count?

message 13: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7428 comments Mod
To keep things simple, I'd say for it to count the book would have to be finished by 10/31. Maybe you could talk a few into starting early. :)

message 14: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

You can always keep adding to the spreadsheet after to see if you get to 1000. I agree with Niki 10/31 completed.

message 15: by Virginie (last edited Jul 25, 2018 01:01PM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Would entering the number of pages read before 10/31 work? Like with a DNF book.

message 16: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16622 comments Like Scott said, it's probably not going to affect the team rankings, or even the solo rankings very much...

If the leaders need a snapshot of the standings on 10/31 (in case not everybody keeps using their sheets in November/December), I was going to copy my sheet into my Personal Sheets page, so I could continue tracking, since I'm setting a personal record this year...

At least the the competition running through Halloween should be just enough time for me to hit 2000 points ;)

The 2 month off-season will give statistics nuts plenty of time to come up with interesting stats using the pages...

message 17: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Iain wrote: "Like Scott said, it's probably not going to affect the team rankings, or even the solo rankings very much...

If the leaders need a snapshot of the standings on 10/31 (in case not everybody keeps u..."

Mmmh, true. I'm going to continue tracking as well. To keep a snapshot on 10/31, we could always copy the first three pages, and then do a copy-paste -> keep only values.

:)

message 18: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I'm kind of sad the challenge is ending early since I think it's motivating me to do more BRs but on the other hand I'll be able to read books alone now without worrying that I won't get many points for the reads!

message 19: by Andorion (new)

Andorion (ruineleint) One thing the Team Reading Challenge has done is sort of sideline my other reading plans. I usually have a couple of challenges and a new release list. Those two months will be for those.

message 20: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 16622 comments I've been reading a lot more new releases lately... with the genres/series I read, they all tend to come out in March and August, anyway...

message 21: by Charlie (new)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Arkadeb wrote: "One thing the Team Reading Challenge has done is sort of sideline my other reading plans. I usually have a couple of challenges and a new release list. Those two months will be for those."

Same here, I've got a pile of stuff by my bed that I want to read so I'll likely get to those at the end of the year.

message 22: by Frank (new)

Frank | 695 comments I like the idea of 10/31 cut off, even would have liked 9/30 cutoff.
There are many non genre books or non BR's I want to get to myself.

Saar The Book owl | 2012 comments I like the idea. Then I can read my other books who are waiting and find new stength for Year Two:)

message 24: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments YES.