What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fantasy novel with matriarchal pict/pixie/trolls/goblins/elves? living mostly underground

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (jenkinkn) | 9 comments I read this in the 1990s/early 2000s and I don't remember much except that a lot of it took place in underground tunnels (or possibly cave systems?) and I think the trolls/elves were blue? They definitely were a matriarchal society but also very brutal and I do not believe the MC was one of them, but they did have to deal with them/get around them

message 2: by Nóinín (last edited Jul 26, 2018 06:33AM) (new)

Nóinín (fagurfifill) | 156 comments I'd suggest Terry Pratchett's pictsies : they're tattoed in blue all over, live inside hills and have a matriarchal society.

They feature in The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30; Tiffany Aching, #1) by Terry Pratchett , Carpe Jugulum (Discworld #23; Witches #6) by Terry Pratchett , Feet of Clay (Discworld, #19; City Watch, #3) by Terry Pratchett , A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld, #32; Tiffany Aching, #2) by Terry Pratchett , Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3) by Terry Pratchett , I Shall Wear Midnight (Discworld, #38; Tiffany Aching, #4) by Terry Pratchett and Snuff (Discworld, #39; City Watch #8) by Terry Pratchett

message 3: by Kat (last edited Jul 27, 2018 06:54AM) (new)

Kat (jenkinkn) | 9 comments Nóinín wrote: "I'd suggest Terry Pratchett's pictsies : they're tattoed in blue all over, live inside hills and have a matriarchal society.

They feature in The Wee Free Men (Discworld, #30; Tiffany Aching, #1) by Terry Pratchett, [bookcover:Carpe J..."

Ooh, I wish! This was definitely a different tone than TP, much more of a serious/grim/gritty thing from what I remember

message 4: by Kat (last edited Aug 12, 2018 04:25PM) (new)

Kat (jenkinkn) | 9 comments More things I remember:

- the protagonist was alone (not a company of travelers)
- I think the book cover was blue/shades of blue which may be where the pict/pixie/trolls/goblins/elves being blue came from
- the journey in the book crosses paths with the pict/pixie/trolls/goblins/elves a few times? like i think they find the trolls have possession of something needed for a different thing, and have to do a side quest for the trolls?
- there was definitely 1 or more baby pict/pixie/trolls/goblins/elves
- the section with the matrilieanl/matriarchical trolls might end with them being sealed up in a tunnel either deliberately or after a cave in but i think it was deliberate.
- when i said brutal, they're really cruel. I think they also had pointed teeth? and clubs? and were a little dumb
-lots of mention of dripping? like from the stalactites?
- since a lot of things were underground with these trolls they had a fear of the upper ground and rarely if ever emerged. possibly also only at night?
- the book was serious in tone and also likely to be seriously hefty. I remember I had the hardback and I was a thick books only kind of girl.

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15729 comments Have you checked this list of matriarchal fiction?

message 6: by Kat (new)

Kat (jenkinkn) | 9 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Have you checked this list of matriarchal fiction?"

Ooh, I had not, thank you! Sadly it is not there. I think possibly because it's not the main plot/they were sort of the antagonists? the MC definitely makes note of it being strange/atypical

message 7: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1055 comments I think I may have read this book, but I'm stuck on the title. I do remember the female troll-like creatures were called "termagants", and they were pretty when they were children, but turned ugly as adults. Does that sound familiar?

message 8: by Wrayth (new)

Wrayth | 10 comments Drows? Dark (blueish) skinned cruel brutal matriarchal underground elves. Might help you find the book with that word? A few authors I think have used them in the same world (forgotten realms). R.a. Salvatore has written a male drow (drizzt) as the protagonist.

message 9: by Gillian (new)

Gillian Wiseman (gillianwiseman) | 146 comments Herbie Brennan's Faerie Wars series? I don't remember them being matriarchal, but I do remember some having blue skins.

message 10: by El (last edited Aug 15, 2018 05:50AM) (new)

El | 502 comments Faerie Wars for Gillian's suggestion

ETA: The full series list is found here

message 11: by Kat (new)

Kat (jenkinkn) | 9 comments Pamela wrote: "I think I may have read this book, but I'm stuck on the title. I do remember the female troll-like creatures were called "termagants", and they were pretty when they were children, but turned ugly ..."

Hm... Maybe? I will search that term but if you think of it let me know!

message 12: by Kat (new)

Kat (jenkinkn) | 9 comments El wrote: "Faerie Wars for Gillian's suggestion

ETA: The full series list is found here"

Thanks to you and to Gillian! I looked through the summaries and it doesn't seem to be quite right, but I might add them to my list anyway!

message 13: by Kat (new)

Kat (jenkinkn) | 9 comments Wrayth wrote: "Drows? Dark (blueish) skinned cruel brutal matriarchal underground elves. Might help you find the book with that word? A few authors I think have used them in the same world (forgotten realms). R.a..."

I will add it to my search terms, thanks!

message 14: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1055 comments The books with "termagants" (actually Termagant Trogs, in turns out) that I was thinking of was Beyond the Deepwoods, by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. Beyond the Deepwoods

message 15: by Kat (new)

Kat (jenkinkn) | 9 comments Aw, sadly not. The search continues! Thank you

message 16: by Martini (last edited Sep 06, 2018 03:14AM) (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 212 comments Sounds a bit like a book from Jim Hine's Goblin trilogy: Goblin Quest, Goblin Hero and Goblin War.
The goblins are brutal, matriarchal and blue, most of them are dumb, they are afraid of the upper ground, there is a baby goblin carried around during one quest and they are enclosed in a cave/tunnel. BUT one of the goblins is the protagonist (there are human side characters) AND the books are not grim at all, but rather funny.

message 17: by Kat (new)

Kat (jenkinkn) | 9 comments Martini wrote: "Sounds a bit like a book from Jim Hine's Goblin trilogy: Goblin Quest, Goblin Hero and Goblin War.
The goblins are brutal, matriarchal and blue, most of ..."

That was so close I was sure it had to be it! Sadly, I am not sure it is, but they're going on my list to read anyway, so thank you!

message 18: by Martini (new)

Martini (shakenorstirred) | 212 comments Ah, too bad! I hope you'll enjoy them anyway. :)