Golden Age of Hollywood Book Club discussion

Hob Nob > controversial movies

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Jul 24, 2018 07:38PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 2484 comments Mod
'Some Came Running' always evokes utter FUROR

...others?

message 2: by Mollie (new)

Mollie Harrison Pennock | 91 comments I'm not familiar with it. Based on the description, it's not a movie I will seek out.

message 3: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

'Peyton Place' is another such.

message 4: by Mollie (new)

Mollie Harrison Pennock | 91 comments I saw Peyton Place or at least part of it years ago. I feel down after watching a movie like that. I prefer a movie that's uplifting. That's why I primarily stick to movies made prior to 1950. If I want to get depressed, I'll watch the evening news. ha

message 5: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 254 comments I'll never forget the uproar the German documentary film Helga caused in our small conservative farming town in Western Missouri, in 67 or 68.

Then there's The Last Temptation of Christ.

message 6: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

And 'the Life of Brian' too...

message 7: by W (new)

W Last Tango in Paris

message 8: by W (last edited Dec 01, 2019 09:19PM) (new)

W The Passion of the Christ
Bonnie and Clyde
Basic Instinct
Dogma
A Clockwork Orange
The Silence of the Lambs

message 9: by W (new)

W Lolita
Natural Born Killers
Caligula

message 10: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 786 comments Anatomy of a Murder was at the time.

message 11: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

it sure was. Preminger liked to specialize in controversy. I have the soundtrack always handy.

Another (from Bogonovich) which was a shocker, 'The Last Picture Show'. Full-frontal teen nudity, dang.

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2197 comments Cotton Club which nobody seemed to like but me!!!

message 13: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 786 comments Feliks wrote: "it sure was. Preminger liked to specialize in controversy. I have the soundtrack always handy.

Another (from Bogonovich) which was a shocker, 'The Last Picture Show'. Full-frontal teen nudity, dang."

True about Preminger. The Man With the Golden Arm was pretty shocking for the time. Pretty bold for Francis to take on that role. Also a killer soundtrack by Elmer Bernstein with some of the west coast cool jazz guys on it. Appropriate since that scene seemed to have the most junkies. I have mono vinyl for both that and Anatomy. The Saul Bass covers are on my wall.

message 14: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

message 15: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2197 comments Wsm wrote: "Lolita
Natural Born Killers
Caligula"

Caligula was one of the most repulsive films I have ever seen. What were those actors who agreed to play in it thinking?

message 16: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

'Money', probably. Or maybe they thought it would only see limited distribution. Gielgud was in it wasn't he? Well he was a true freak.

message 17: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 786 comments Head would have probably been controversial if anyone had actually gone to see it.

message 18: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2197 comments Of course if you want to really go controversial, try Eraserhead......if you can make any sense of it.

message 19: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

speaking of Preminger:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosebud...

message 20: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2197 comments Feliks wrote: "speaking of Preminger:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosebud..."

I'm not familiar with that film but it doesn't look like something I would want to watch.

Even though Psycho has become a classic of its type, it was considered controversial when first released.

message 21: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

...around two yrs ago when I stopped even venturing into the city (to attend classics), boy did I have a run of terrible luck choosing movies. For instance, I'd never heard of Elliott Gould and Jessica Walter in 'Little Murders' so I was naturally keen to experience it. I'd watch Elliott Gould in anything. Especially early 70s. But it was one of the worst movies I've ever sat through. Squirm-worthy. There's nothing quite like viewing an extremely unpleasant movie on a large screen; finding it has burned itself into your brain. This is one reason I cut myself off from first-run releases entirely. You can never trust a recent-release. But after 'Little Murders' I don't even take a chance on a classic if it hasn't got any following or fanship. For instance, these days I might take a chance on a Jean-Pierre Melville (french crime) film because of the continual raves his career earns.

message 22: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

But I wouldn't try my luck on anything I'm not fairly sure of; no 'experiments' or dead-ends, no flicks I have never heard of or never read about. It seems dismissive but after a while you come to realize there's just no time to waste on bad movies.

message 23: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Hoot! Do you all remember Travis Bickle (De Niro) taking classy uptown girl 'Betsy' (Cybil Sheperd, the poll worker) to an XXX film on their first date? lulz

Also that Hinkley controversy ...whew

message 24: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2017 comments Are you referring to his obsession with Jodie Foster, and what he did as a result?

message 25: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2017 comments Since I am not an Elliott Gould fan at all, it would take a lot for me to spend money on any film he was in. The last time I did was for his co-stars and the story.

message 26: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Betsy wrote: "Are you referring to his obsession with Jodie Foster, and what he did as a result?"

Certainly

message 27: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2017 comments Surprisingly, it didn't seem to affect her career. In fact, I suspect many people don't even remember the circumstances.

message 28: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Americans today can't remember what they ate for breakfast. Even a big movie of ten years ago, if you remind them about it they scratch their heads and squint.

The John Hinkley thing --and the Mark David Chapman slaying of John Lennon--about as big as a domestic US scandal can get. Jodi Foster's career ... well, it wasn't as if she was responsible.

message 29: by Betsy (last edited Dec 22, 2019 01:26PM) (new)

Betsy | 2017 comments No, she wasn't responsible, but there are too many people out that do not subscribe to rational thinking about such things. Hinckley was responsible so James Brady and Reagan paid the price.

message 30: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 786 comments You must have watched it on TV the same time I did. Only Scorcese I really love. I guess Raging Bull and Last Waltz are OK.

message 31: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 786 comments Love Jodie and Cybill.

message 32: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2197 comments I like Last Waltz because you get a chance to view so many very talented people on the stage at one time. And you get to see chubby Van Morrison in a green leisure suit(!) that looks two sizes too small......and Neil Young absolutely blown away on coke.

message 33: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 786 comments Yeah, Neil and Muddy are the highlights. I don't dislike The Band, but they're not an all-time favorite.

message 34: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2197 comments Levon Helm had all the talent in that group. I like them well enough, but they are not an all time favorite with me either.

message 35: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 786 comments Agree about Levon. The only real Southerner in the group.