Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman (The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club, #2)
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Goss, Theodora--European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman informal buddy read starts August 5, 2018

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman by Theodora Goss

Synopsis
In the sequel to the critically acclaimed The Strange Case of the Alchemist’s Daughter, Mary Jekyll and the rest of the daughters of literature’s mad scientists embark on a madcap adventure across Europe to rescue another monstrous girl and stop the Alchemical Society’s nefarious plans once and for all.

Mary Jekyll’s life has been peaceful since she helped Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson solve the Whitechapel Murders. Beatrice Rappaccini, Catherine Moreau, Justine Frankenstein, and Mary’s sister Diana Hyde have settled into the Jekyll household in London, and although they sometimes quarrel, the members of the Athena Club get along as well as any five young women with very different personalities. At least they can always rely on Mrs. Poole.

But when Mary receives a telegram that Lucinda Van Helsing has been kidnapped, the Athena Club must travel to the Austro-Hungarian Empire to rescue yet another young woman who has been subjected to horrific experimentation. Where is Lucinda, and what has Professor Van Helsing been doing to his daughter? Can Mary, Diana, Beatrice, and Justine reach her in time?

Racing against the clock to save Lucinda from certain doom, the Athena Club embarks on a madcap journey across Europe. From Paris to Vienna to Budapest, Mary and her friends must make new allies, face old enemies, and finally confront the fearsome, secretive Alchemical Society. It’s time for these monstrous gentlewomen to overcome the past and create their own destinies.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 24, 2018 07:31PM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Lexi | 2646 comments I'm still in for this one and got it out of the library today.

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments yeah i'll still be doing it as well

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments are you starting this one today? i might wait until tomorrow

Lexi | 2646 comments I am in the middle of moving today so tomorrow is most likely.

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments ok sounds good

Lexi | 2646 comments I made it to Chapter 5. (view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments i promise i am gonna start this today lol. i read it ...i can't remember if it was late last year or early this year so maybe i'll appreciate the info dump idk. i also am so worried about the length though because i didn't even feel like the last one had enough content to justify the length and this one is over twice as long lol

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments ok i read chapters 1-3. i agree it's a very slow start, although i did kind of appreciate the recap because i had forgotten some stuff [also i literally still sometimes forget which girl is which but i feel like that's more my own damn fault lol].

i agree that not a lot has happened and honestly i feel like only half of anything that is said/written needs to be there. i am already at the point where i'm annoyed by the interjections from everyone so that's not a good sign either ...i don't understand why she didn't just do different povs instead, it would be a LOT less jarring.

on the plus side i did manage to read it pretty quickly so i guess at least my reading speed has improved and hopefully the 700 pages won't feel like so much.

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments i read chapters 4-6 today. still feel like we're moving along at a snail's pace and they spend 10 times longer talking things around in circles than actually DOING anything.

also i cannot BELIEVE that i am going to have to sit here and read about (view spoiler) flames on my face lol

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments only read chapters 7 and 8 today. not really a lot to say except i hope this picks up somehow soon. i guess we will finally get some suspense when diana (view spoiler) at least

message 14: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2646 comments My ebook returned itself to the library early, so I'm on hold for a bit.

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments ah, i could probably read something else instead for awhile. do you know when you're going to have another copy?

message 16: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2646 comments I'm third in line and it is a ebook so no idea.

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments ok, i might put it off for a week or so but i do want to make sure i finish it before the end of the challenge so that's probably the best i can do. i'd still be happy to talk about it with you though if you don't get it back for quite awhile

message 18: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2646 comments I'm hoping to have it by then too. I also have a request for a real version too. I also want to finish by the end.

message 19: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2646 comments I got a copy so I should be good as soon as Quidditch is over.

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments ok cool :)

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments hey just a head's up, i'm planning on starting up on this again tomorrow

message 22: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2646 comments I've just restarted tonight so I will try to read to chapter 8 to catch up.

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments i read chapters 9-11 today and ...honestly not a lot to say just because the plot is moving soooo slooooowly

one thing i will say that i find annoying is how the author keeps like ...giving characters ideas that are 'futuristic' in order to make them seem smarter i guess? like it happened before but in this second irene takes mary to some kind of palace to see the gardens and says that it would be better if it was a museum / art gallery and open to the public which i'm assuming is what the building is used for today since it wouldn't be a palace anymore but it's just like ...so unnecessary to me

message 24: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2646 comments Devann wrote: "i read chapters 9-11 today and ...honestly not a lot to say just because the plot is moving soooo slooooowly

one thing i will say that i find annoying is how the author keeps like ...giving charac..."

I fell like unnecessary side comments are the main theme of this book and also, nothing is happening.

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments true, and i can't tell if it's like actually actively worse than the last one or if i'm just losing patience with it lol i was hoping i would be less annoyed because i sat it down for so long but it's kind of having the opposite effect

message 26: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2646 comments I think the element of discovery is gone and the reader knows everyone and there hasn't been a new element introduced. I will get through but it feels more like a task than fun.

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments definitely agree. i like that irene is included and maybe lucinda will be interesting once she FINALLY shows up but now it's just kind of like 'second verse same as twice as long as the first' lol

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments read chapters 12-14 today. uh ...still honestly not a LOT going on. diana is quickly becoming the only character i can stand because while she is definitely immature she is the only one who just DOES something without discussing it to death and the part with her and (view spoiler) was one of the most interesting sequences so far.

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments have you been making much progress? i read chapters 15 and 16 today so i'm about 60% of the way through. still not loving it but this section actually did make me laugh a bit because some of them were disguising themselves as nuns and they were like 'it makes men uncomfortable and can hide weapons, it's the perfect outfit' lol. they're also apparently going to introduce yet another literary character (view spoiler) so i'm interested to see how that goes but also it's kind of like there are too many people already.

message 30: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2646 comments You are still beating me. I am only around 50% but still hope to finish by the end of this weekend. I was over Freud when he first showed up and the author gave the name like this was some big kind of surprise. Diane has been fun though.

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments yeah i was glad freud wasn't around much [unless, god forbid, he shows back up lol] because i was literally over it before it even happened

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments i read 17-19 today and there was a point where catherine said she mostly writes from mary's pov bc justine is too philosophical and diana is too chaotic and 'a narrative must move forward after all' i'm like lmao ok that is RICH in this 5 million page long book where nothing happens but I GUESS. also when i'm done i am literally tallying up every time they try to sell the reader the first book in the asides. absolutely infuriating. also (view spoiler)

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments i actually finished this yesterday with a LOT of skimming lol. not really much to say except thank god it's over although i still have it 2 stars in an 'a for effort' kind of thing. i hope you get done before the end of the month

message 34: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2646 comments So I did not finish in time as I got sucked into trying to finish the maze, which didn't finish either. I am at about 2/3 as they finally arrived in Budapest. The book is way too long. The random asides are useless, it tries to make the characters too anachronistic and aware of modern social issues which interrupts the flow, and the multiple points of view are just repetitive. It really needed an editor. (view spoiler).

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments i agree that the author spends waaaay too much time trying to make everyone feel so 'modern'. usually i'm not that bothered by 'historical accuracies' like that in books because i'm not a huge historical fiction fan so i'm not like a stickler for things like that but this book just goes too far in a really weird way.

i also really liked how carmilla was portrayed though. i read it earlier this year for the first time and i liked how the author handled that whole thing.

message 36: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2646 comments And I finished. That was a 3 star book that lost a star for being way, way too long. Even the finale was a let down and then it ends on a stupid lead to the next book. Anyway, I would recommend Strange Practice if you haven't read it as a much better job on the theme.

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments yeah that one has been on my tbr for awhile so i will definitely check it out at some point. and also NOT read the next book in this series whenever it comes out lol

message 38: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2646 comments I just finished the second one for Strange Practice and it was as good as the first. I also plan on stopping reading this series.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5007 comments Oh dear. I've got this book to start. I liked the first one although didn't love it but the idea is good. We shall see.

Devann (devannm) | 2702 comments haha that is how i think both of us felt about the first book and then this book ended up being twice as long and we just couldn't stand it. maybe you will have better luck though

message 41: by Lexi (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lexi | 2646 comments Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Oh dear. I've got this book to start. I liked the first one although didn't love it but the idea is good. We shall see."

Good luck and I repeat my above recommendation.