Our Shared Shelf discussion

Jul/Aug 18 - Milk & Honey > Similarity to poetry by Amanda Lovelace

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nora (new)

Nora | 5 comments Yes! I'm currently reading Amanda's second book in the collection and they do have similarities in topic and style. :-) 💜

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy (nonfictionfeminist) | 3 comments I've read both and love them! I've never been one for poetry, but these authors really helped me find my place in poetry. They are very similar in topic and style, and equally amazing.

message 3: by Kasi (new)

Kasi (kasireadsjunkandstuff) I really enjoyed her first book, the second was. Ok, but I felt much more geared toward a certain bent/audience and a little less authentic as a result. I have her third book, due out in September, on pre-order with Amazon and I have high hopes for it. *fingers crossed*

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1086 comments Mod
Emma wrote: "This collection reminded me of the series Women are Some Kind of Magic by Amanda Lovelace.

https://www.goodreads.com/series/2190...

Summary of the first collection by..."

Yes! I just finished And The Princess Saves Herself in this One. Both writers belong to the same publishing company, so I wonder if the company was trying to find the next Lovelace in Kaur.

I thought Lovelace's work was more thematically solid. More refined. Where Kaur's chapters may have had a poem or two that addresses the theme, Lovelace's was a narrative story that followed throughout. Less time jumps I think.

message 5: by Lucy (new)

Lucy | 39 comments Just started reading "the princess saves herself in this one" and I agree that this tends to follow a narrative. Several poems are dedicated to one topic and then is woven into another.

message 6: by Malia (new)

Malia (maliablue) | 1 comments I read The princess saves herself in this one and The witch doesn't burn in this one immediately after milk and honey, and I totally agree that there are similarities, which was kind of great to immerse myself in so much powerful, beautiful, important poetry and not having to stop for three books straight :)

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca B. | 1 comments Pam
I agree with you 100%. I loved where Kaur was going but to me it felt like milk and honey needed more expanding on her thoughts. Almost as if she over edited her words and lost some of the power behind the poems.

message 8: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin (yasminqureshi) | 2 comments I read Amanda Lovelace’s poetry book first, then Rupi’s. I have to admit the first time I read Milk and Honey I really didn’t enjoy it. I compared it too much to Lovelace’s which I loved, and I shouldn’t have. Both are great poets in their own right. I just finished Milk and Honey for the second time and I loved it so much more.