Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
This topic is about Three Dark Crowns
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Three Dark Crowns [July 28, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
July 28th.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I hope this one lives up to the hype!

Anni | 5020 comments I'm very curious what you and Siobhan think of it, I'm gonna stalk this thread :D

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Did you like it Anni? I've seen some really great reviews so I've got high hopes.

Anni | 5020 comments Not exactly... The premise sounds awesome and I was excited to read it. But I expected a story a little more dark. Actually it was a little too much (strange) YA-lovedrama for my taste. But as I'm in the minority I hope you will like it :) I'm still thinking about reading the next book!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments You should join us for book 2, maybe it'll get better :) I've been reading quit a lot of YA in the last year or two, some of it I've loved and some not so much so I'm excited to see where I fall with this one.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Anni, I remember seeing your rating a few months ago and thinking; uh oh!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Since the book I was reading is at a friends house I've started this a little early.

Up to page 48 -

That was a dark start, there’s something very wrong with this world. (view spoiler)

Katharine - (view spoiler)

Arsinoe - (view spoiler)

Mirabella - (view spoiler)

Katie K | 2148 comments Charlie wrote: "Since the book I was reading is at a friends house I've started this a little early.

Up to page 48 -

That was a dark start, there’s something very wrong with this world. [spoilers removed]

Kath..."

The world is indeed very dark. (view spoiler)

In those first view chapters you get a good glimpse at the girls and their character. Everyone has a vastly different upbringing. (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Katie wrote: The world is indeed very dark

I thought it was cool (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I've read the first three chapters, so have met all the Queens. I have the same problem as you Charlie, I'm now rooting for all of them!

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Siobhan wrote: "I've read the first three chapters, so have met all the Queens. I have the same problem as you Charlie, I'm now rooting for all of them!

I also thought it was really interesting that the Queens ca..."

I think the idea was she can (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Forgot to post this yesterday:

Page 70 about 23% in
(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I know right, it makes me think of Arsenio Hall which is a hilarious visual in this context 😂

message 15: by Anni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Siobhan wrote: "I know right, it makes me think of Arsenio Hall which is a hilarious visual in this context 😂"

You mean that's not actually how she looks like? :/

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Page 120. Jules is getting more page time than the queens. I don’t think that bodes well for their mortality rate!

(view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Page 141 I have a theory (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Anni wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "I know right, it makes me think of Arsenio Hall which is a hilarious visual in this context 😂"

You mean that's not actually how she looks like? :/"

Hahaha just seen your reply and I can't stop laughing! 😂

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Charlie wrote: "Page 141 I have a theory [spoilers removed]"

Yesss I think you're probably right. (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments I'm 62% through and really enjoying it so far! Yes there are so many flaws in the whole premise if you want to pull at that yarn, but I'm just enjoying it!

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Anni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Siobhan wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Page 141 I have a theory [spoilers removed]"

Yesss I think you're probably right. [spoiler]"

That's how I understand it too :) (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Anni wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Charlie wrote: "Page 141 I have a theory [spoilers removed]"

Yesss I think you're probably right. [spoiler]"

That's how I understand it too :) And I see you've reached the point ..."

That bit infuriated me, I hate him now. I wish he'd drowned honestly, it would have been neater that way.

Ooh I want to know what you've figured out! I'm rubbish at uncovering twists.

Kirin Ah! Sorry for being late, I'll be picking this up tomorrow

message 24: by Katie (last edited Jul 29, 2018 08:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katie K | 2148 comments Charlie wrote: "That bit infuriated me, I hate him now. I wish he'd drowned honestly, it would have been neater that way."

So so much hatred for Joseph. XD (view spoiler)

Relationship drama aside things are getting very interesting with Arsinoe's other skills. (view spoiler)

Side note, we obviously love all of the queenies, but does anyone have any favorites? Or favorite courts? I'm a bit partial to Arsinoe and the nature court myself. I just love the vibe of their little town of Wolf Spring. And who wouldn't want an animal familiar? ^_^

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Katie wrote: "Charlie wrote: "That bit infuriated me, I hate him now. I wish he'd drowned honestly, it would have been neater that way."

So so much hatred for Joseph. XD [spoilers removed]

Relationship drama a..."

I'm getting really worried about Arsinoe using (view spoiler)

I think my favourite Queen is Mirabella. So far she's the only one not actively plotting murder. My favourite court is the naturalist's though, I'd love to have a familiar.

Siobhan wrote: "I'm 62% through and really enjoying it so far! Yes there are so many flaws.."

This is getting so fucked up. (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments I'm finished!!!! The ending was freaking amazing!! The last 50 pages were better than the whole book. I have so many feels!!!

(view spoiler)

I'll definitely be reading book two!

message 27: by Anni (new) - rated it 2 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Charlie wrote: "I'm finished!!!! The ending was freaking amazing!! The last 50 pages were better than the whole book. I have so many feels!!!
[spoiler]"

I'm glad you liked it :) (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Finished and loved it! What a roller-coaster!

(view spoiler)

Can't wait to continue this series!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Katie, I think the naturalist would be my favourite too. Definitely would love an animal familiar! ❤️

I love how Katherine has changed through the book though. So cool.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments @Anni It was definitely a fantastic twist. I just feel like none of this bullshit had to happen. It's so frustrating when characters make stupid choices and you can't do anything to stop them.

@Siobhan I never even made the connection with the (view spoiler) but it makes total sense now. I love when a book surprises me.

Katie K | 2148 comments Whoa! Boy oh boy did they kill it with that ending! I was already so invested in the girls and the intricacies of their lives on this twisted island...but to see things unravel like that... O.O (view spoiler)

@Siobhan Yes, familiars are the way to go, for sure ^_^

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments @Katie the ending was amazing wasn't it?! I think Kath (view spoiler)

Siobhan and I were thinking about reading it next week if anyone want to join us. We don't have a confirmed date yet.

Katie K | 2148 comments Charlie wrote: "@Katie the ending was amazing wasn't it?! I think Kath [spoilers removed]

Siobhan and I were thinking about reading it next week if anyone want to join us. We don't have a confirmed date yet."

It was absolutely fantastic! Yeah, I think you're right about Kath. We shall see.

I'd love to join you guys if you plan on reading book 2 next week. I'll see if I can get myself a copy. Just let me know which day you were thinking :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Super! We were just gonna read it in the YA thread since its last minute but if there's lots of people wanting to read we can definitely request a seperate thread. I think it'll probably be the beginning/middle of next week. We could tentatively go with Wednesday 8th if that's okay?

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments That should be fine with me, Charlie.
If it's OK with you though Katie, can we flex a little if Charlie and I get stuck with Special Ones and Firefight? Sorry, such a busy schedule all in a sudden haha!

Katie K | 2148 comments The 8th works for me. We can move it around if your reading schedules are too stacked. :) Can you post a link to the YA thread you mentioned? I don't know where it is in the long list of posts XD

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Of course! - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
There you go lovely :)

Kirin So sorry, it's taking me so long to finish, I'm still getting used to this whole buddy reading thing.

So far, I'm only about 100 pages in and really enjoying it! I love this dark setting. And like you guys, I like all three queens -- I hope they all survive

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Don't worry, Kirin! Glad you're enjoying it. It is really dark isn't it? I didn't expect it.

message 40: by Charlie (last edited Aug 03, 2018 03:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments @Kirin that's the problem, I don't know what the author is going to do, she's created this world where only 1 can survive but I'm rooting for all three!

message 41: by Kirin (last edited Aug 10, 2018 11:29AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kirin Haven't made much progress -- I'm at page 161 and I have so many thoughts.

First, about Jules. (view spoiler)

Also, that sacrificial year idea!? UM!? (view spoiler)

ALSO. IM SO WORRIED FOR KATHARINE. (view spoiler)

Last, (view spoiler)

Hopefully I can finish in the next couple of days. But I doubt, I'll be joining you guys for the second book :(

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7737 comments Ah man, I'm so sorry Kirin! We were so hyped to start it ASAP I totally forgot you were still reading and might want to join.

About your spoilers, (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments @Kirin (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Did you manage to finish this Kirin?

Kirin I'm still working through it. I fell into a slump :(

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4490 comments Aw no! Well I hope you get through it!

Katie K | 2148 comments Kirin wrote: "I'm still working through it. I fell into a slump :("

You can do it Kirin ^^