Our Shared Shelf discussion

Jul/Aug 18 - Milk & Honey > Favorite Poem?

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (last edited Jul 25, 2018 03:02AM) (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Feel free to add your favorite poem from Milk and Honey here.

Also, what about it spoke to you?

message 2: by Pam (last edited Jul 25, 2018 09:04AM) (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
"To be soft is to be powerful"

Kaur makes a lot of earlier nods to fire and water, elements that can be inviting but also terrible. Power that is raw, elemental. The idea then, after experiencing so much, that she still believes and sees softness as a virtue... is interesting.

And I'm curious as to what softness means here. There isn't an accompanying drawing or title to bias our thoughts. Does she mean soft of skin? Soft of heart?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello!

Favourite poem? Ouch... Difficult question, not easy to make a choice since I probably turn the corner of more than 50 pages to mark a poem that I love.

Therefore, before I copy a few sentences from Milk and Honey in that thread, would you mind if some people pick more than one? :)

A few letters expressing so many deep and beautiful meanings.
Great topic! :)

message 4: by Elle (new)

Elle  | 5 comments I don't have a favorite but The Road Not taken by Robert Frost is beautiful.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Florian wrote: "Hello!

Favourite poem? Ouch... Difficult question, not easy to make a choice since I probably turn the corner of more than 50 pages to mark a poem that I love.

Therefore, before I copy a few sent..."

Feel free! Just make sure to include why you're referencing it.

Elle wrote: "I don't have a favorite but The Road Not taken by Robert Frost is beautiful."

Thanks Elle! I love that poem as well.

Did you get a chance to read Rudi Kaur's Milk and Honey? If so, which one of hers did you like?

message 6: by Nahid (new)

Nahid Osmai | 2 comments “i do not want to have you
to fill the empty parts of me
i want to be full on my own

i want to fill so complete
i could light a whole city
and then
i want to have you
cause the two of
us combined
could set

message 7: by Dimitra (new)

Dimitra Koutouzi | 4 comments The one that really touched my soul was this one from the loving chapter:
"When my mother was pregnant with her second child i was four, i pointed at her swollen belly confused at how my mother had gotten so big in such little time. My father scooped me in his tree trunk arms and said the closest thing to god on this earth is a woman's body it's where life comes from and to have a grown man tell me something so powerful at such a young age changed me to see the entire universe rested at my mother's feet."

Maybe I feel this way about that poem, because i do think the universe is rested at my mother's feet. Even if i am an atheist and this poem has to do a little with god, i still love it, just because of the justice it gives to mothers. Not all of them of course, but a real mother gives her child everything.

message 8: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 25, 2018 07:46PM) (new)

The first one would be:

"if you were born with
the weakness to fall
you were born with
the strength to rise"

I like those lines since it is a reminder that we can make something positive from (almost?) every single tough situations as long as we do not give up. Ok, maybe easy to say for me. I have always seen failures and falls as steps that teach you more than successes. And usually the more inspirational persons are the one who fell many times. When I first read those lines I immediatly thought about a quote from a movie: "Why do we fall? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up."
What is a weakness if not a strength waiting to be developed?

The second poem that sounds like an advice as well is

"accept yourself
as you were designed"

This recurrent point approached by Rupi Kaur, is somehow (in my opinion) a mirror of many societies. I have the feeling that too often we attempt to ressemble to someone else and we search for models or examples so that we can follow the same path but are we loosing and fooling ourselves in the process?
I understand in those two lines that mental health awareness starts by accepting who we are and by finding our own pathways. I must admit I am struggling to put words on those thougths.

"it is part of the
human experience to feel pain
do not be afraid
open yourself to it"

Here I read "do not deny your emotions, feel them and live them.". Once again, the acceptance is a keystone of that poem. Should we only open ourselves to pleasant moments and "positive" emotions but are Sadness, Pain and Fear really negative?
What is the point of closing ourselves to something that semantically means movement, motion. If life is motion, we should hug emotions in our heart since it is potentially one of the key of internal harmony/peace.

PS: I'll probably edit to be clearer since for some points I do not have the words.

message 9: by Dayna ✨ (new)

Dayna ✨ | 2 comments you are in the habit
of co-depending
on people to
make up for what
you think you lack

who tricked you
into believing
another person
was meant to complete you
when the most they can do is complement

A few years ago I was going through a really rough breakup and sought comfort in the Arts & Letters section of my local bookstore. That's where I first read Milk & Honey. Rupi Kaur's writing spoke to the parts of me that were in ruins, then helped put me back together. This particular poem really helped me understand myself - the things I do, the way I feel. I spent so much of my life believing that this person was my other half, when really I was whole all along.

message 10: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
<3

message 11: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (fudgie42) | 1 comments I loved the eponymous poem:

of course i want to be successful but i don’t crave success for me i need to be successful to gain enough milk and honey to help those around me succeed

I think the sentiment behind this poem is incredible.

I also saw this at the end in the section about the author:
i stand on the sacrifices of a million women before me thinking what can i do to make this mountain taller so the women after me can see farther - legacy

Again it expresses that similar feeling of wanting her success to be for the benefit of others which I love.

message 12: by Colleen E (new)

Colleen E (colleenchi-girlakacolleensnapped) | 40 comments Δήμητρα wrote: "The one that really touched my soul was this one from the loving chapter:
"When my mother was pregnant with her second child i was four, i pointed at her swollen belly confused at how my mother had..."

YOUR FATHER!!!! What a beautiful gift he gave you.

message 13: by Colleen E (new)

Colleen E (colleenchi-girlakacolleensnapped) | 40 comments My fave poem was my dad’s favorite: Desiderata.

message 14: by Prachi (new)

Prachi Pati | 35 comments Dayna ✨ wrote: "you are in the habit
of co-depending
on people to
make up for what
you think you lack

who tricked you
into believing
another person
was meant to complete you
when the most they can do is complem..."

This was one of my favourite too, because I have been married for long now and I wonder why people say you need to be married in order to be a complete human or woman. Over the years, marriage does not seem as something that completes me, but more as something that adds another dimension to my life :)

message 15: by Somantika (new)

Somantika | 1 comments My favorite was:
“i want to apologize to all the women i have called beautiful
before i’ve called them intelligent or brave
i am sorry i made it sound as though
something as simple as what you’re born with
is all you have to be proud of
when you have broken mountains with your wit
from now on i will say things like
you are resilient, or you are extraordinary
not because i don’t think you’re beautiful
but because i need you to know
you are more than that”

It is one of my greatest pet-peeves when someone who has known me for a while says I am beautiful (especially if it is out of context). On many levels I find it offensive: first of all it really makes me feel that the person sees nothing in my other accomplishments. And, more than that, the person thinks I am so shallow that I can be pleased by such vacuous comments.

message 16: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1070 comments Mod
Somantika wrote: "On many levels I find it offensive: first of all it really makes me feel that the person sees nothing in my other accomplishments. And, more than that, the person thinks I am so shallow that I can be pleased by such vacuous comments. "

I'm right there with you. I feel that using someone's appearance is the lowest common denominator. Which is fine, but people don't tell my male co-workers that they are handsome. They use action words: focused, organized, insightful. If we're trying to describe someone... I'll take more of those adjectives, please!

message 17: by Cyn (new)

Cyn | 80 comments There is this one in particular that really got me that says:
"if you are not enough for yourself
you will never be enough
for someone else."

I think it's important that we accept ourselves as we truly are, with virtues and flosses, and that we love ourselves the way we are.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 09, 2018 11:59AM) (new)

That is very true, and also for men :)
Personnaly, I have seen so many people around me being in couple but not happy with themselves. People who are always looking for someone whenever they become single again because they cannot stand to be alone. Therefore they prefer to be in bad company than being alone because they have void in themselves they try to fill with someone else... That is sad because it does not work that way.

I remember that a few months ago I talked to a close friend about that, she had broken with her boyfriend months ago and jumped into a relationship a short time after that and then in another one after she realized the charming prince was an aweful person. I remember I warned her she was fleeing and if she was not facing her wounds it would get worst(humans we are good at fleeing I suppose). Now it is worst... And she told me "I feel so lonely, people tell me I am not but still I feel so lonely." I answered "It is because you are and you need to learn to live with yourself anf to love yourself." not really comforting but true.

Anyway good poem! :)

message 19: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 34 comments On Love by Gibran

message 20: by Maja (new)

Maja Jørgensen (sadlyhappyhumanbeing) | 1 comments "for her feet to walk upon,
I can see pillows for her head,
I can feel my waiting laughter,
I can see her petting a cat,
I can see her sleeping,
I can see her slippers on the floor.
I know that she exists
but where is she upon
this earth
as the whores keep finding me?"Love Is a Dog from Hell

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Emma wrote: "By the way, to those who are new to this thread - I think this thread is supposed to only be about favorite poems in this month's book! Maybe we should start a second thread for favorite poems from..."

Good call ;)

message 22: by Martin (new)

Martin Felando i've had sex she said
but i don't know
what making love
feels like

you've touched me
without even
touching me

love will come
and when love comes
love will hold you
love will call your name
and you will melt
sometimes though
love will hurt you but
love will never mean to
love will play no games
cause love knows life
has been hard enough already

message 23: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (readbydeb) | 5 comments I was surprised by how many poems touched me from this collection, because I don't always connect with this style of poetry.

I loved some of the empowering poems such as:

how you love yourself is
how you teach others
to love you

As well as the "you are in the habit of co-depending on people to make up for what you think you lack..." poem that so many others enjoyed.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the poems that contained juxtapositions or plays on words, because they served as beautiful explorations of the power of language, such as:

you are a war
the border between two countries
the collateral damage
the paradox that joins the two
but also splits them apart

---and---

the world
gives you
so much pain
and here you are
making gold out of it
- there is nothing purer than that

The poem below in particular was especially powerful to me; even though I can't think of a direct experience where I have felt this way, there was just something about the sentiment of this poem that hits hard:

the night after you left
i woke up so broken
the only place to put the pieces
were the bags under my eyes

The same can be said about the following poem; Kaur has a way of making poems feel relateable even when you don't have direct experience with the subject matter:

the next time you have
your coffee black
you'll taste the bitter state
he left you in
it will make you weep
but you'll never
stop drinking
you'd rather have the
darkest parts of him
than nothing

message 24: by Sylvie (last edited Aug 13, 2018 11:23AM) (new)

Sylvie (ploufofaveyron) | 32 comments I really fell in love with Rupi Kaur's poems. But especially with these ones which resonate with me :

"accept yourself
as you were designed"

“how you love yourself is
how you teach others
to love you”

"if you are not enough for yourself, you will never be enough for someone else."

“you must want to spend the rest of your life with yourself first”

“you must enter a relationship with yourself before anyone else”

“i am learning
how to love him
by loving myself”

Because we need to be kind to ourselves, to accept our strengths, our flaws and to love ourselves just like we are. We need it to build a lasting relationship.

message 25: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (pinkbear) don’t mistake
salt for sugar
if he wants to
be with you
he will
it’s that simple

I like it because of how true it is. If someone wants to be with you, they will stay and try and make it work, not walk away and come back when they want.

message 26: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2 comments my heart aches for sisters more than anything
it aches for women helping women
like flowers ache for spring

message 27: by Lotta (new)

Lotta | 4 comments I really love this one:

"i like the way the stretch marks
on my thighs look human and
that we're so soft yet
rough and jungle wild
when we need to be
i love that about us
how capable we are of feeling
how unafraid we are of breaking
and tend to our wounds with grace
just being a woman
calling myself
a woman
makes me utterly whole
and complete"

This just really makes me feel good about myself and my body, and it reminds me that I should tell that to myself more. That's why, although I like all of Rupi's poems, I especially love those concerning self-love.

message 28: by Lu (last edited Aug 14, 2018 03:04AM) (new)

Lu (Lu_M) | 1 comments i do not want to have you to fill the empty parts of me...
...i want to be so complete i could light a whole city
and then
i want to have you
cause the two of us combined
could set it on fire

This fiery piece really stood out for me as I feel it strongly promotes the importance of self-fulfilment and shining as an individual before finding someone who will enhance your life further. Confidence attracts!

message 29: by Angie (new)

Angie Feliz | 10 comments “you tell me to quiet down cause
my opinions make me less beautiful
but i was not made with a fire in my belly
so i could be put out
i was not made with a lightness on my tongue
so i could be easy to swallow
i was made heavy
half blade and half silk
difficult to forget and not easy
for the mind to follow”

message 30: by My Quiet Pages (new)

My Quiet Pages (myquietpages) | 8 comments I didn't leave because
I stopped loving you
I left because the longer
I stayed the less
I loved myself

message 31: by Momin (new)

Momin Ashraf (mominashraf) | 1 comments If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.

Forever enamoured of Emily Dickinson's poetry.

message 32: by Sana (new)

Sana (donttearmedown) | 1 comments To fathers with daughters is my favorite ❤️

message 33: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesliejean43) | 91 comments Momin wrote: "If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.

For..."

I love Emily Dickinson's poetry too!

message 34: by Sammy (new)

Sammy Eagleson | 8 comments You have been taught your legs are a pit stop for men that need a place to rest a vacant body empty enough for guests but no one ever comes and is willing to stay…

message 35: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Stephens | 3 comments “ The next time he reminds you of your hair is growing back on your legs remind him your body is not his home he is a guest…”
I find myself simultaneously wanting to grow out my body hair and to ignore societies expectations about it and then at the same time feeling ashamed that I have hair under my arms. Something that I struggle with on a daily basis and I wish that I could just wake up every day and except my body the way it was made and designed like so many men do. I also recognize that I am very fortunate to have a wonderful husband who doesn’t care about my body hair as much as I do.

message 36: by Passing Places (new)

Passing Places | 3 comments My favourite poem has to be:

did you think i was a city....

and my favourite lines:
i am not street meat i am homemade jam
thick enough to cut the sweetest
thing your lips will touch

I read this early on in the year and reread it when I joined up with this group and still, this poem stands out for some reason. I think its beautiful.

message 37: by Anne C. (new)

Anne C. | 4 comments i had to leave
i was tired of
allowing you to
make me feel
anything less
than whole
- Rupi Kaur

Because so many of us had to endure wrongdoing (in whatever form) before making heartbreaking and sometimes even life-changing decisions in order to preserve our self-worth ...

message 38: by Junia ❤ (last edited Dec 30, 2019 01:49PM) (new)

Junia ❤ | 3 comments I love this poem most:

i don't know what living a balanced life feels like
when i am sad
i don't cry i pour
when i am happy
i don't smile i glow
when i am angry
i don't yell i burn

the good thing about feeling in extremes is
when i love i give them wings
but perhaps that isn't
such a good thing cause
they always tend to leave
and you should see me
when my heart is broken
i don't grieve
i shatter

I like it most, because I can identify with what she is talking about.
Rupi Kaur is able to bring the message in a beautifully emotional way across.
I have never been the biggest fan of poetry but poems like this remind me that this is an incredible form of art that can express feelings in so many different ways.