Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2019] Suggestions for 6th Mini-Poll

Comments Showing 1-50 of 96 (96 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jul 25, 2018 04:45AM) (new)

Laura | 3821 comments Mod
The entire Around the Year challenge list is generated by the group members. We enjoyed the process so much in the past three years that we are creating another list for 2019.

How it will work:
The topics for the 2019 RC list will be determined through around 13 mini-polls. Each user will vote for their favorite 4 topics in each mini-poll, which will then add up to the 52 topics (13 polls x 4 topics/poll=52 weekly topics). Suggestions for each poll will be opened until 15-20 suggestions are received+seconded. Then a poll will be opened for voting for one week so you can select your 4 favorite suggestions. This timeframe allows for a completed list in October-November.

Rules:
- One suggestion per poll per user OR one "second" per user
- Suggestions close after 15 total seconded suggestions
- The number of seconded suggestions can vary and will be announced in the topic
- If the categories are not balanced at some point, the mods will add rules to encourage variety
- We are now allowing linked prompts within the regular polls (2-3 total prompts). We are slightly behind in the total number of prompts due to some polls resulting in fewer than 4 results. So do not worry about the effect that linked prompts will have on our timeframe.

A link to the poll will be posted in a new thread as soon as 15 seconded suggestions are received.

Poll Entries:
- A book with elements from at least two genres (Gothic romance, Paranormal western, etc.)
- A book in which faith/religion plays an integral role in the plot or the life of a main character.
- A book with monsters or a "monstrous" character
- A book related to Arthurian legend
- A book featuring an elderly character
- A book from the ATY list of "lesser known" books
- A book that has some kind of controversy around it
- A book published in a year important to you (i.e. graduation, child birth, marriage anniversary, etc.)
- A book in which a character uses a disguise or a false/fake identity
- A book about reading, books or an author/writer
- A book with an LGBTQ+ character or author
- A book set in a school or university
- A book about natural resources (fiction or non-fiction)
- A book form you don't usually read (i.e. graphic novel, ebook, poetry, audiobook, Manga, etc)
- A play that won either the Pulitzer for Drama or the Tony for Best (non-musical) Play

Available to be Seconded:
- A book set during a war (real or fictional)
- A book published in a year ending in 9 (i.e. 2009, 1989, 1829, etc.)
- A book with a dictator or oppressive ruler
- A book with a character whose personality changes as the book progresses

message 2: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments A book with an LGBTQ+ character or author.

message 3: by Elise (new)

Elise (theblackhorizon) A book with elements from at least two genres.

This could be a detective story with a SF setting, a gothic romance, paranormal western, etc.

message 4: by Bryony, Circumnavigation Mod (last edited Jul 24, 2018 01:10PM) (new)

Bryony (bryony46) | 1058 comments Mod
Elise wrote: "A book with elements from at least two genres.

This could be a detective story with a SF setting, a gothic romance, paranormal western, etc."

I was going to make a suggestion of my own but I like this one so much I have to second it instead. What a great suggestion, thanks Elise!

message 5: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments A book in which faith/religion plays an integral role in the plot or the life of a main character.

I am thinking this can be interpreted in many ways. Here is a list I found of novels where religion is featured https://bookriot.com/2017/10/05/novel... and there are lots of lists available that recommend books about specific religions. Or if you want to go the non-fiction route, there are plenty of memoirs where religion affected the author for good or bad.

message 6: by Elise (new)

Elise (theblackhorizon) Thanks, Bryony!

message 7: by dalex (last edited Jul 24, 2018 01:20PM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1718 comments A book with monsters or a monstrous character

This prompt is not just about vampires and does not have to be scary-creepy-horror!

Some ideas:
Classic monsters, like vampires, zombies, etc.
Mythological creatures, like the ones on this list
Man-made creatures, like golems, robots, scientifically altered beings
Demons, ghosts, etc.
Serial killers, mad scientists, villains, gangsters

Some book suggestions that are NOT horror
The Golem and the Jinni (golem, historical fiction)
Snow in August (golem, historical fiction)
The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock (mermaid, historical fiction)
The Seas (mermaid, lit fic)
The Lovely Bones (ghost, lit fic)
The Last to See Me (ghost, dual time period - past/present)
The New and Improved Romie Futch (man-made creatures, literary science fantasy)
The Alchemy of Stone (robots, steampunk)
Mockingbird (robots, sci-fi)

You could do a book that relates to classic monster fiction, such as The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club Series or Mary Reilly.

And there are even humorous horror books such as the ones on
this list (though they do not all have monsters).

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 922 comments A book in which faith/religion plays an integral role in the plot or the life of a main character.

I second this one

message 9: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Jackie | 1304 comments Mod
I second a book with monsters

message 10: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7207 comments Mod
Dalex, I love the change on the monster prompt! I think it's more likely to make it on the final list as you put it. I'd second it, but Jackie beat me to it!

message 11: by Ira (new)

Ira | 284 comments A book that has some kind of controversy around it. (The author is controversial, It deals with a controversial topic, etc)

message 12: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1718 comments Emily wrote: "Dalex, I love the change on the monster prompt! I think it's more likely to make it on the final list as you put it. I'd second it, but Jackie beat me to it!"

Thanks Emily! :) And thanks for the second, Jackie.

message 13: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Jul 24, 2018 01:34PM) (new)

Can one of the mods post that this is open in the Announcements thread? I nearly missed the opening of this thread because I didn't get a notification. Thanks!

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie | 807 comments I'll nominate a book featuring an elderly character. I think this was a close call last year, so I thought I'd bring it back up. Some ideas:

Elderly Protagonist
Protagonists Over 60

message 15: by Clare (new)

Clare | 39 comments A book set during a war (real or fictional)

Glad the monster prompt made its way back in!

message 16: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

dalex wrote: "Emily wrote: "Dalex, I love the change on the monster prompt! I think it's more likely to make it on the final list as you put it. I'd second it, but Jackie beat me to it!"

Thanks Emily! :) And th..."

No problem :) I love that it has the option to go for more figurative monsters in addition to the literal monsters I'm personally more inclined to.

message 17: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I'll resubmit this one, now that we have (the start of) a list!

A book from a GR list of lesser known books recommended by ATY participants

Here's the list: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

Feel free to add books (2-3 per member, with a low number of reviews).

message 18: by Vanessa (last edited Jul 24, 2018 05:56PM) (new)

Vanessa | 265 comments A book related to Arthurian legend

Some ideas:
Page with list in different genre
Non fiction

message 19: by Rachelnyc (last edited Jul 24, 2018 01:54PM) (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Uh oh, I think I already have a top 4! I have a feeling this is going to be a tough voting round for me.

message 20: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Rachelnyc wrote: "Uh oh, I think I already have a top 4! I have a feeling this is going to be a touch voting round for me."

Rachel, I totally agree! It's going to be a tough one!

message 21: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) | 2546 comments I 2nd The Arthurian legend. That’s what I wanted to suggest!

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 587 comments Angie wrote: "I'll nominate a book featuring an elderly character. I think this was a close call last year, so I thought I'd bring it back up. Some ideas:

Elderly Protagonist
Protagonists Over 60"

I'll second this one

message 23: by Perri (last edited Jul 24, 2018 01:55PM) (new)

Perri | 781 comments Second- A list of lesser known books

message 24: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Liz, that one has already been seconded. Feel free to suggest or second something else.

Perri, are you seconding that one?

message 25: by Perri (new)

Perri | 781 comments Laura wrote: "Liz, that one has already been seconded. Feel free to suggest or second something else.

Perri, are you seconding that one?"

Yes please :)

message 26: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jul 24, 2018 02:02PM) (new)

I re-worded the following two prompts. Please let me know if anyone objects to the change.

- A book with monsters or a "monstrous" character [monstrous in quotes to emphasize that it can include those beyond classic monsters]
- A book from the ATY list of "lesser known" books [in response to The Wild Discussion about it being wordy]

message 27: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (jovali2) | 542 comments I'll second a book that has some kind of controversy around it.

message 28: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jennyftb) | 38 comments Are plays an option for this group?

If so, I'll nominate a play that won either the Pulitzer for Drama or the Tony for Best (non-musical) Play

http://www.pulitzer.org/prize-winners...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Aw...

message 29: by Jackie, Solstitial Mod (new)

Laura wrote: "I re-worded the following two prompts. Please let me know if anyone objects to the change.

- A book with monsters or a "monstrous" character [monstrous in quotes to emphasize that it can include ..."

Really appreciate the reword on the ATY list prompt...have a feeling I'm going to have a top 15 to whittle down...

message 31: by Liz (last edited Jul 24, 2018 02:12PM) (new)

Liz | 506 comments I am re-nominating a book published in a year important to you (graduation, child born, married, . . .).

There were lots of books published during some of those years that I didn't get around to because life was changing & hectic. I'm curious to know what was circulating then.

message 32: by Megan (new)

Megan | 21 comments I second "book published in a year important to you"

message 33: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Peter wrote: "A book in which a character uses a disguise or a false/fake identity."

I second Peter's suggestion.

Lisa (the.running.bookworm) I would like to suggest a book about reading, books or an author/writer

This could be a book about a book shop, book club or library, a book with the word book or library in the title, a character that likes to read or write, an autobiography about an author or a story of their life, a book with an authors name in the title.... there could be many options

message 35: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 563 comments Lisa wrote: "I would like to suggest a book about reading, books or an author/writer

This could be a book about a book shop, book club or library, a book with the word book or library in the title, a character..."

I'll second this.

message 36: by Kelsey (last edited Jul 24, 2018 02:40PM) (new)

Kelsey Charity wrote: "A book with an LGBTQ+ character or author."

I second this! Some LGBTQ+ authors I like include Dhonielle Clayton, Richard Lawson, Adam Silvera, C.B. Lee, Benjamin Alire Sáenz (all YA authors), Gabby Rivera, James Tynion IV, Noelle Stevenson (all graphic novel authors), and Roxane Gay.

Other useful lists:
LGBT Books Written by LGBT People
Queer Female Authors of Color
Graphic Novels & Comics By LGBTQ Authors
Best LGBTQIA literature
LGBTQ YA
LGBTQ Science Fiction and Fantasy

message 37: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 563 comments Lisa wrote: "I would like to suggest a book about reading, books or an author/writer

This could be a book about a book shop, book club or library, a book with the word book or library in the title, a character..."

And if anyone needs any ideas for books about books/libraries, I like these lists:

Best Books About Loving Books

Books About Books

Stories for Book Lovers

message 38: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 380 comments A book published in a year ending in 9, e.g. 2009, 1989, 1829

message 39: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 840 comments I’ll suggest a book set in a school or university.

This could be from the student or teacher perspective, and I feel like this allows a bit of the “scavenger hunt” that many of the group like, but is wide open in terms of genre, including nonfiction.

message 40: by Manda (new)

Manda (bookwenchmanda) | 1094 comments A book with a dictator or oppressive ruler.

message 41: by Ann (new)

Ann | 579 comments A character whose personality changes as the book progresses. Trying to think of more character driven prompts.

message 42: by Tammy (new)

Tammy | 704 comments Chrissy wrote: "I’ll suggest a book set in a school or university.

This could be from the student or teacher perspective, and I feel like this allows a bit of the “scavenger hunt” that many of the group like, but..."

I second this one. Great theme.

message 44: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 278 comments I second the book about natural resources.

This round is going to be a tough vote!

message 45: by Nadine in NY (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1346 comments Martha wrote: "I second the book about natural resources.

This round is going to be a tough vote!"

yeah, no kidding!! I hesitated to even make a suggestion, because I love all of the previous suggestions so much!

message 46: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

If my count is correct, we have only one more spot available!

message 47: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2926 comments A book form you don't usually read (graphic novel, ebook, poetry, audiobook, Manga, etc)

message 48: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 425 comments I'll second the book in a form you don't normally read.....

message 49: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (seejessread) | 144 comments Seconded!

Jennifer wrote: "Are plays an option for this group?

If so, I'll nominate a play that won either the Pulitzer for Drama or the Tony for Best (non-musical) Play

http://www.pulitzer.org/prize-winners......"

message 50: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 1718 comments Emily wrote: "If my count is correct, we have only one more spot available!"

By my count we're now at 15.

« previous 1