Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > D&J is now 5 years old!

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
Okay, maybe a little older. The group was founded on 22 June 2013.

D&J is now old enough to attend school in the UK! ;)

message 2: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1135 comments Haha, happy birthday D & J!

message 3: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 54 comments Happy anniversary!
(You can start school at 4 over here, I did.)

message 4: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Okay, maybe I should've put it would now be legally required to start school in the UK :P

message 5: by Elle (last edited Jul 24, 2018 02:51PM) (new)

Elle (elleay) | 49 comments Woo hoo! Happy birthday D & J. Does this mean we can act our age?! I love how silly five-year-olds can be, their wonder and curiosity, and the often hilariously imaginitive questions/answers they come up with. *stops to reflect* Okay, we're already acting our age. ; )

message 6: by Greg (new)

Greg | 1135 comments Rinn wrote: "Okay, maybe I should've put it would now be legally required to start school in the UK :P"

No exams please :)

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments This is the place where curiosity and fantasy can take flight - I am so glad I found this group - it makes me young again! Everyone here rocks - showing my age again *sigh* - thanks for allowing me to be 5 years old again!

message 8: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments Wow! Happy Anniversary D&J :)

message 9: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new)

Cupcakes & Machetes (hybridcreature) | 878 comments Mod
Wooo! Happy Birthday D&J. :)

message 10: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments Happy birthday to us!

message 11: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1139 comments I think we should all buy ourselves a birthday book 😁🎂😁

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 431 comments Yay! Happy birthday D&J!!

message 13: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Sandy wrote: "This is the place where curiosity and fantasy can take flight - I am so glad I found this group - it makes me young again! Everyone here rocks - showing my age again *sigh* - thanks for allowing me..."

Aww, that's so lovely to hear, Sandy :)

message 14: by Ben George (new)

Ben  George | 32 comments @Dawn Does it count if I did that before reading this post?

message 15: by Dawn (last edited Jul 25, 2018 11:18AM) (new)

Dawn | 1139 comments Absolutely not! You should totally treat yourself to another book 😉

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments Wohoo another reason to buy a book! not that i need anymore...

message 17: by Vinca (last edited Jul 26, 2018 10:39AM) (new)

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1317 comments Happy birthday team!

I've found this to be a really great group. As well as enjoying the book side of things (book nerds unite!), everyone is so welcoming, kind and supportive. There were days after my little one was born when this was pretty much my only contact with the outside world (especially when we were snowed in and she was breastfeeding *all* the time) and although this sounds a little sad, it really helped! Thanks for being so awesome guys :-)

Also, definitely going to use this as an excuse to buy a new book...

message 18: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Vinca wrote: "Happy birthday team!

I've found this to be a really great group. As well as enjoying the book side of things (book nerds unite!), everyone is so welcoming, kind and supportive. There were days af..."

D&Jers unite in a mass exodus to your local bookshops!

message 19: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments And let us know what you buy in honor of the occasion :D

message 20: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1139 comments Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik My Birthday book is very nice signed hardback copy from Waterstones. It was the last one and looked so lonely I just had to give it a home :)

message 21: by Steve (new)

Steve | 158 comments I really look forward to chatting with people about SFF on here, and the group has encouraged me to pick up a lot of titles I wouldn't have on my own, but which I very much enjoyed.

Thanks for the great job everyone, and in general for this being a welcoming and laid back group of people. (:

message 22: by Sandy (last edited Jul 28, 2018 12:01PM) (new)

Sandy | 1665 comments I just went out and honoring the birthday, picked up The Poppy War.

Now I am ready for next month.

message 23: by Maximum (new)

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments Happy birthday D&J!! My birthday book purchase was on Friday. I went to Waterstones in Sheffield and Becky Chambers signed her new book, Record of a Spaceborn Few for me!

message 24: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new)

Scott wrote: "Happy birthday D&J!! My birthday book purchase was on Friday. I went to Waterstones in Sheffield and Becky Chambers signed her new book, Record of a Spaceborn Few f..."

Ooooo! I'm jealous, how awesome!

message 25: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 54 comments Scott wrote: "Happy birthday D&J!! My birthday book purchase was on Friday. I went to Waterstones in Sheffield and Becky Chambers signed her new book, Record of a Spaceborn Few f..."

Same, I went to her Glasgow event last Tuesday! She's so cool. 😁

message 26: by Maximum (new)

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments Cendaquenta wrote: "Scott wrote: "Happy birthday D&J!! My birthday book purchase was on Friday. I went to Waterstones in Sheffield and Becky Chambers signed her new book, [book:Record of a Spaceborn F..."

She is! *attempts a Becky high-five and face plants*

message 27: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1829 comments Mod
Whoop! I was on holiday recently, so I've been picking up all kinds of books I've been finding, new and second-hand. I'll list them off on the 'last book I bought' thread (or was gifted!)

Spinning Silver is in that list!

message 28: by N.E.C.C. (new)

N.E.C.C. | 125 comments What a milestone!! Congrats to everybody who's in charge of making D&J a great place!!

message 29: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2943 comments Mod
Yay us!

message 30: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3543 comments Mod
Great milestone and heres to many more.

message 31: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2933 comments Mod
It’s been a great success. I’m hoping to find some good books at comic con that I can also get signed.

message 32: by Margo (new)

Margo Happy birthday D&J 😀

message 33: by Sam (new)

Sam (aramsamsam) | 359 comments Happy Birthday to us all :) We should get some bookish presents, silly hats, and lavish decor and throw a party!

message 34: by Freya, Dragon Rider (new)

Freya (flamecat) | 1829 comments Mod
In terms of lavish decor, I do happen to have a fabulous dragon helium balloon next to me... no jet pack one though!

message 35: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 390 comments I went ahead and bought the Powder Mage trilogy to celebrate :)

message 36: by Cupcakes & Machetes, Hybrid Creature (new)

I’m going to count A Court of Broken Knives as my D&J bday book since I bought it just before the announcement. (Attempting to be good and not buy many books before our vacation in a few months.)

message 37: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2943 comments Mod
Narilka wrote: "I went ahead and bought the Powder Mage trilogy to celebrate :)"

I really enjoyed those. Some impressive world building.

message 38: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2933 comments Mod
Wayland wrote: “Narilka wrote: “I went ahead and bought the Powder Mage trilogy to celebrate :)”

I really enjoyed those. Some impressive world building.”

Oh good. I bought the first on Kindle and the third at a signing (the store didn’t have the second), so I’m looking forward to these.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.