Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

The Rooster Bar > 7. Did you like how book ended?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
7. Did you like how the book ended?

message 2: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Not really. I didn't really love the characters at all. They were purposeful criminals and got away with it. I didn't feel sorry for them for getting into high debt because they should have looked up tuition costs before hand. Not many lawyers make the big bucks, and if they were naive enough to think that, then they probably shouldn't have gone to law school in the first place. They also didn't seem to think about taking the bar in another state and looking for jobs there. They just bugged me a lot. I guess I wanted it to end with more repercussions for them. Hinds Rackley may have done the big scam, but he didn't do anything illegal, unlike the main characters I wasn't fond of.

message 3: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I had more sympathy for them than Chelsea did. There was some evidence that the school was deliberately deceitful in its advertising. Showcasing a few grads with "great" jobs, when they'd actually hired them themselves and got rid of them soon after.
These kids were from poor families and I think it's expecting too much for them to see through this sophisticated company's razzle dazzle. Thousands and thousands of kids really have fallen for this kind of thing.
OK - having said that, I thought the ending was ok. As I said in another answer they beat the system but still had to face some consequences.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
I'm somewhere between Chelsea and Cindy. The "System" of the school, and the school itself was not a higher level school that students worked hard to get in like say Harvard or Yale.....(or UNM or BYU. I didn't get the feeling one had to work too hard in that school, so the scams they were in were easier than if they were in another school they would have to work harder.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments I liked that Zola’s family was safe. If they were smart enough to fool our legal system they are smart enough to prepare and even pass the bar. I thought it was deserving that they paid their school debt with Rackleys own money - immature of me yes, but I thought that was funny.

message 6: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments It was okay.