Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

The Rooster Bar > 4. John Grisham - favorite authors.....

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
4. John Grisham is one of my favorite authors--his legal thrillers are captivating. Have one of your favorite authors deviated from their "signature" style and written a completely different type of book? If so, how did they do?

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments She's not nearly as well-known, but I've followed Joan Wolf through lots of different styles. She started writing regency romances, but has also written pre-history novels, historical mysteries, and inspirational fiction with heroines from the bible. I always like her very much - no matter what genre she writes.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
John Grisham is still a favorite author. He has slipped off the beam a few times and his work isn't quite as awesome.

I really like Skipping Christmas and Playing for Pizza. They both were good and off the "Law" topic.

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments Agreed Carol, I also loved his book...something like A Painted House. I actually received rave reviews on this book before I recommended it to book club. The first time I read it I was so disappointed. The second read I enjoyed better - but Grisham mentioned this was his 40th novel. What do you write about after 40 books?

message 5: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments I loved Jennifer Chiaverinni's "Elm Creek Quilters" books. They are some of my favorites! She finished her series, and now writes historical fiction. To me, her historical fiction books lack the character that the Elm Creek books have. I read a few of them, but haven't bothered with her last few.

message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments JK Rowling and Harry Potter. I haven't read her new adult book, but I heard it was terrible and nothing like HP.

message 7: by M.E. (new)

M.E. Hembroff (mhembroff) | 93 comments I have also read JK Rowlings Harry Potter series. I read one of her adult books and liked it. It was different of course but sometimes writers can be stuck in a certain style and have to break from that mold. That is one of my recent authors but my all time favorite author has always L.M. Montgomery who is a Canadian author of over a hundred years ago. Her first book was Anne of Green Gables. I prefer cozy mysteries the most.