YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Mega Month Challenge Archive > Team Do Your Best (M) - Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 197 (197 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Fuzaila (last edited Aug 01, 2018 02:44AM) (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Team Do Your Best:

Karen 
Amanda
Sophia 
❤ Aly ❤ 
Andrea
Danielle ♥

Team Reviews: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Signing in. Excited for this one (and should have some more reading time)

message 3: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Is the Tamora Pierce our first challenge? How do we know which letters are available? I’ve got BRs for Jenny Han (GBR) and V is for Virgin. Happy to read and fit letters wherever, unless it needs a more strategic approach. Anyone got a preference?

message 4: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Karen wrote: "Is the Tamora Pierce our first challenge? How do we know which letters are available? I’ve got BRs for Jenny Han (GBR) and V is for Virgin. Happy to read and fit letters wherever, unless it needs a..."

Yup. I didn't know anything about letter availability? I thought we should choose our books accordingly to the letters in our book assigned

message 5: by ❤ Aly ❤ (new)

❤ Aly ❤ | 3578 comments Checking in

message 6: by ❤ Aly ❤ (new)

❤ Aly ❤ | 3578 comments I think that we each should chose a letter in the title to start with so we know which letters are being claimed

message 7: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Board 1:

(90) Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce 

_ _ _ _ _ _: * _ _ _ * _ _ _ _ _ * _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ by _ _ _ _ _ _ * _ _ _ _ _ _

message 8: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments So here are the letters we need to read for -

A
L
N
T
H
E
F
I
R
S
D
V
U
M
P
C

message 9: by Fuzaila (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:09AM) (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments So that means, we need to read 16 books combined, to complete our first board. Have anybody joined a BR that would complete any of these letters for us?
I could do A/P with Pride and Prejudice, D/M/N/S with Dear Martin, I/S/T with The Sun Is Also a Star. I'll decide more books later on.

message 10: by ~Sophia~ (new)

~Sophia~ (sophiabooks) | 191 comments Hello! I am not part of any BR this month. My next read for August will be Unwind by Neal Shusterman, so I could get U, N, or S. Probably U if no one else has that yet. :)

message 11: by Fuzaila (last edited Jul 25, 2018 10:12AM) (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments So we'll just divide up the letters? Or do you think it's better to claim the letters one by one as we go?
I think Karen is right in saying that we might need a strategic approach if we're to gain more points. We'll need to read many books to complete a single board and earn the bonus, or maybe should we read shorter books for each letter and aim for the bonus? What do you guys think?
This challenge gonna be super competitive as there are so many medium teams in August!

message 12: by Andrea (last edited Jul 25, 2018 02:48PM) (new)

Andrea Ahn | 400 comments Hi guys! Just checking in! This will be my second challenge so far on this group so I'm excited! If we are diving up letters just let me know which you want me to read I have multiple books on my "to read" list. I am starting a BR on August 8th It Started With Goodbye, and Get Me Off (So I can do P for the author) on the 4th but that's it so far.

message 13: by ~Sophia~ (new)

~Sophia~ (sophiabooks) | 191 comments @Fuzaila
I am not completely sure about the whole strategy part, this is my first time in a team challenge and I am pretty new to this group. However, I do think that we should claim each letter as we go that way people can have a more flexible reading amount. I don't know, it is just an idea. I am open to anything. :)

message 14: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Hi Andrea!

message 15: by Fuzaila (last edited Jul 25, 2018 11:48PM) (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Sophia wrote: "@Fuzaila
I am not completely sure about the whole strategy part, this is my first time in a team challenge and I am pretty new to this group. However, I do think that we should claim each letter as..."

Hey,
so I think we should do just that! It would give us more choices. And let's start claiming letters then. I suggest we go for the letters that are most difficult to read for, and then on the rest.
Like, since Andrea's reading Get Me Off, that would give us M which I think might be a tough letter to claim. Likewise, we'll see what letters we all claim and what are remaining! I'll edit my last message with every letter that has been claimed.

message 16: by Fuzaila (last edited Jul 31, 2018 10:16AM) (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments So I've updated the claimed letters here -

A -
L - Tell Me No Lies, Karen
N -
T - The Summer I Turned Pretty, Karen
H - We'll Always Have Summer, Karen
E
F -
I - It Started With Goodbye, Andrea
R
S - It's Not Summer Without You, Karen
D
V - V is for Virgin, Karen
U - Unwind, Sophia
M - Roses of May, Andrea
P - Get Me Off, Andrea
C

message 17: by Fuzaila (last edited Jul 26, 2018 12:17AM) (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments We can make it flexible and switch the letters if anybody else is reading a book that's been claimed :)
Also, Danielle and Aly are still left to check in, so we might need to leave some space for them too!

message 18: by Andrea (last edited Jul 26, 2018 07:45AM) (new)

Andrea Ahn | 400 comments Fuzaila wrote: "So I've updated the claimed letters here -

A - The Sun Is Also a Star, Fuzaila
L
N - Dear Martin, Fuzaila
H - [..."

You can put me down for M too, I'm planning on reading Roses of May by Dot Hutchison probably right on the first aha I just downloaded it but I just started another one and I have another series I'm trying to finish so I won't get to it until August probably.

message 19: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Andrea wrote: "Fuzaila wrote: "So I've updated the claimed letters here -

A - The Sun Is Also a Star, Fuzaila
L
N - Dear Martin, Fuzaila
T - [book:The Summer I Turned Pretty|58219..."

Done!

message 20: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments If author names count Ill start with Tell Me No Lies by A.V. Geiger which could get As done quickly. Have I misread it, or does our letter wipe out all those on the board?
On holiday until 31st July and WiFi is erratic. I’ll aim to start reading and fit in what I can.

message 21: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Karen wrote: "If author names count Ill start with Tell Me No Lies by A.V. Geiger which could get As done quickly. Have I misread it, or does our letter wipe out all those on the board?
On holiday until 31st Jul..."

Hey Karen, you have to read just one book for a letter.? As for Tell Me No Lies, I could put it down for L? Is that okay, ? Since I've already claimed A with The Sun Is Also A Star which is also a BR, I dont think it fits anywhere else :)

message 22: by ❤ Aly ❤ (new)

❤ Aly ❤ | 3578 comments I checked in already (3 days ago)

I just don’t know what I’m starting with. I’m participating in booktubeathon for the first time this year so I don’t know where I’m going to be at the very beginning of August at the moment.

message 23: by ~Sophia~ (new)

~Sophia~ (sophiabooks) | 191 comments If Danielle doesn't check in or doesn't need this letter, I can take C with The Nine Lives of Chloe King. But if Aly needs that letter, she can take it since she is not sure what she will read. The same goes for The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan, which I can take R with. :)

message 24: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments Hey team! Sorry I think I wont be able to do this team challenge since I wont have much time to read next month. My apologies. Do your Best!

message 25: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83082 comments Mod
Hello Team Do Your Best, just to confirm that Fuzaila has had to leave the challenge, but I do have a couple of people on the waiting list ☺ I've just messaged Amanda to see if she would like to swap from a fun team to your team, so hopefully you will have a new team member soon ☺

message 26: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Oh, and just so you know, I have messaged Danielle again. Hopefully she will see the message and check in ☺

message 27: by Fuzaila (new)

Fuzaila (feistyhijabi) | 1322 comments I'm still rooting for you guys. Hope you win xD
Here - I've removed my claims over the letter. You can use it as you wish. All the best :)

So I've updated the claimed letters here -

A -
L - Tell Me No Lies, Karen
N -
H - We'll Always Have Summer, Karen
E
F -
I - It Started With Goodbye, Andrea
R
S - It's Not Summer Without You, Karen
D
V - V is for Virgin, Karen
U - Unwind, Sophia
M - Roses of May, Andrea
P - Get Me Off, Andrea
C

message 28: by ❤ Aly ❤ (new)

❤ Aly ❤ | 3578 comments I will be finishing Ash Princess tomorrow. So I would like to claim A please.

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Hey guys, i will be joining your team! So the first book I will be reading is Girls' Night Out by Liz Fenton Girl's night out by Liz Felton and Lisa Steinke
So that gives me G N O L F or S so I will take the N or F that's available. I have the following planned for this month:
Fire and Heist by Sarah Beth Durst F A H S B D
Sadie by Courtney Summers S C S
Rust & Stardust by T. Greenwood R A S T G
The Exes' Revenge by Jo Jakeman T E R J
Strange Grace by Tessa Gratton S G T
Beneath the Citadel by Destiny Soria B T C D S
These are all buddy reads

message 30: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Adding Amanda to your team ☺

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Hi Amanda, welcome to the team.

message 32: by Karen (last edited Aug 01, 2018 04:55AM) (new)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Nobody seems to have update this since Fuzaila left. I'm going to be cheeky and pinch the 'A' spot as I've finished a book. Will also finish Dear Martin by Nic Stone later so will try to pop this on. I'm hoping mods will update our review thread and then once everyone is underway we can review the available letters.

Fuzaila had also put on all my BRs. I'm not necessarily going to read as fast as some of you, so I'm more than happy to let people take slots as needed.

message 33: by ~Sophia~ (new)

~Sophia~ (sophiabooks) | 191 comments Thanks, Karen! Hopefully a mod will fix that. If you are not reading The Summer I Turned Pretty anytime soon, I am finishing Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman so I could use T right away. But that is your original spot, so it is up to you. :)

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Go for it. We will need to be strategic later on, but to start off with it makes sense for quicker readers to claim spots. We can always plan ahead for board two and three.

message 35: by ❤ Aly ❤ (new)

❤ Aly ❤ | 3578 comments I mean my Ash Princess could probably go somewhere else if needed but it is my current read

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Aly, sorry I didn’t check the thread closely. Can we use your current read for P? I’ve just finished Dear Martin so will slot that in and wait to post further reviews until we know where people are up to.

message 37: by Karen (last edited Aug 01, 2018 10:59PM) (new)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Current board reviews posted:
A_ANNA ___ _____ A___N____ - _A___A ______

T - used by Sophia with Thunderhead
P - used by Aly with Ash Princess
F - used by Amanda with Girl's Night Out
I - used by Karen with The Summer I Turned Pretty

message 38: by ❤ Aly ❤ (new)

❤ Aly ❤ | 3578 comments That’s fine Karen. I’m pretty open and flexible.

message 39: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Ahn | 400 comments Hey guys currently reading Adorkable by Cookie O'Gorman by Cookie O'Gorman, so I've got C covered

message 40: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments I’m currently reading the Jenny Han GBR book two onwards, The Cheerleaders and a couple of NetGalley ARCs. I’m at in-law’s with no WiFi until Saturday so will use mobile data for posts but sort reviews when I am at pc at home.

message 41: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Hello Team Do Your Best, I have messaged Danielle a couple of times, but she still hasn't responded so I am going to remove her from the team. I don't have anybody on the waiting list currently, but I will be looking for a replacement for you ☺

message 42: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Hello Team Do Your Best, just to let you know that Selma will be joining your team to replace Danielle ☺
Thanks!

message 43: by ❤ Aly ❤ (new)

❤ Aly ❤ | 3578 comments Thanks Sarah

message 44: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments Hi Selma. Welcome to the team.

message 45: by Selma (new)

Selma | 472 comments Hi everyone!

message 46: by Selma (last edited Aug 03, 2018 09:52AM) (new)

Selma | 472 comments The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3) by Aimee Carter
So, I finished reading The Goddess Inheritance yesterday, and still haven't posted it anywhere; so, I was wondering what letter I should post it as?
I could take the C if no one has claimed it.

message 47: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments C has had a review posted. Author names any use?

message 48: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Ahn | 400 comments Selma wrote: "The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3) by Aimee Carter
So, I finished reading The Goddess Inheritance yesterday, and still haven't posted it anywhere; so, I was wondering what letter I should post it as?
I c..."

Why not put it as A? for the authors name?

message 49: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Ahn | 400 comments Selma wrote: "The Goddess Inheritance (Goddess Test, #3) by Aimee Carter
I c..."

I don't think there is anywhere to put that book.

message 50: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 10082 comments We can store it for use for board two. Seem to remember the names are up for our next two books.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.