Everything Under
This topic is about Everything Under
Booker Prize for Fiction > 2018 Booker Shortlist: Everything Under

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (mookse) | 1842 comments Mod
Everything Under, by Daisy Johnson

June | 121 comments I’m very excited about this one and am loath to wait until 2019 when it is published in the US.

Alysson Oliveira | 82 comments You can try to get from wordery or book depository. The shipping is free. :)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 3110 comments Mod
My copy of this one has arrived too. I am tempted to give it preference over some of the bigger names.

message 5: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam | 1603 comments This is sold out at Book Depository

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 5255 comments Review in the Guardian compared this to Claire Louise Bennett’s Pond. Now I am very intrigued.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

Neil | 1859 comments That sounds interesting. I've just received the email approving my request for a copy from NetGalley. Looking forward to it!

I think this will be the third one on my list, maybe early next week - I want to tackle The Long Take next.

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 5255 comments Thanks Neil. You prompted me to check on Netgalley and so did I.

message 10: by Neil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neil | 1859 comments I’ve got this and Washington Black via NetGalley so those will probably be my next two to read.

Meike (meikereads) Just finished it - now this is the kind of book I want to discover on a Booker list! This text is the reworking of a Greek tragedy (which one? (view spoiler), a horror/ghost story, and a hall of mirrors - Daisy Johnson knows how to write exciting experimental fiction! As the novel progresses, the mythological source becomes clear, but she twists and turns the story and introduces a whole cabinet of doppelgängers, mirror images, and shape-shifting ghosts. Recurring topics are the nature of fear and the question whether there is something like destiny - and have I mentioned that the way she employs the natural surroundings of a river to illustrate and strengthen her story is simply fantastic?

Here's my review.

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 5255 comments I noticed an entirely coincidental but amusing link with Snap, mainly as I read one and started the other on the same day.

Jack in Snap steals a bicycle which he thinks must be worth £100. When Gretel is walking through the hospital en route to the morgue she spots an advertising board with a bike for sale for £100.

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 5255 comments But what is more striking about reading them on the same day is the massive difference in language, subtlety and literary merit.

Meike (meikereads) Agreed!!

message 15: by Hugh (new) - rated it 5 stars

I started this last night and read a couple of short chapters before deciding I was too tired to do it justice. May be able to finish it today, and I'll read your reviews after that.

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 5255 comments Loving this so far. A book of the liminal, legend and lexicography.

WndyJW | 4624 comments I’m glad to hear Meike and GY think this is a worthy book, it’s next up on my Wish List.

message 18: by Neil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neil | 1859 comments I am about two-thirds through and it is heading towards the top of my short list!

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 5255 comments Also two thirds through and agree on ranking. The judges have to be really congratulated this year for some of their choices.

Jonathan Pool Fine book, in my opinion. A story very much in the mould of several works of literature in the eighteen months taking Classic morality takes and giving a c. 21st context. (Kamila Shamsie, Home Fire)
The river “community” is a fascinating backdrop; a relatively little known itinerant group of people less easily pigeon holed.
While its early days, I think this has every chance of short listing.

message 21: by Neil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neil | 1859 comments Just finished this and agree with Jonathan. I currently have it at the top of my rankings (with apologies to Richard Powers who is my favourite author, but now sitting at number 3!).

message 22: by Ang (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ang | 1685 comments Hmm, I guess this is another one I am going to buy!

message 23: by Meike (last edited Jul 29, 2018 12:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meike (meikereads) Ang, DO IT!! :-)

Neil, as we were just talking about it under Jonathan's review, here are my two cents on Otto, the dog:
I really enjoyed how Johnson connects her themes to the river, mythology, and fairy tales, and then introduces mirror images and/or doppelgängers, which means in the case of Otto:
(view spoiler)

message 24: by Neil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neil | 1859 comments Excellent!

(view spoiler)

Thank you.

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 5255 comments Just added my review also. Another 5 star review.

message 26: by Hugh (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have just finished my review and yes, 5 stars from me too. I have just enjoyed catching up with the brilliant reviews from Meike, Neil, Gumble and Jonathan and as usual I am in awe of your insights and thoroughness.

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 5255 comments Five stars from all five of us. When did that last happen?

Meike (meikereads) Gumble's Yard wrote: "Five stars from all five of us. When did that last happen?"

Nice work, Daisy Johnson!

Jonathan Pool Meike wrote:
Neil, as we were just talking about it under Jonathan's review, here are my two cents on Otto, the dog:
, ..."

Meike,
I've only now seen your spoiler update (this doesn't come through on a mobile- my usual reference point).
I'm intrigued by the multiple interpretations of Otto. Your Germanic knowledge, and Grimm's fairy tales sound particularly plausible- were these all your own first read responses? Very good.

Meike (meikereads) Thank you, Jonathan! Yes, that was what I thought of spontaneously - I had to check back the family situation of Hades though! :-)

message 32: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8514 comments "The last book that made me laugh
I laughed a lot in a sort of shocked, delighted horror at Ottessa Moshfegh’s My Year of Rest and Relaxation."

I have just finished the Moshfegh book I was going to read Everythng Under next to restore my faith in literature. Please someone tell me that the fact that she enjoyed My Year of Rest and Relaxation doesn't suggest any resemblance between the books.

Interesting also that she hated the Szalay book (another that wasn't Booker eligible but the judges didn't care) so much.

message 33: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee I was delighted by that comment! I think there is a link between the two books - I've not long since finished the Moshfegh and am now reading Everything Under - but they are vastly different beasts in terms of style and approach.

Yes, that was interesting. I enjoyed the Szalay but for her to want to throw it across the room....

message 34: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8514 comments Intrigued as to what the link is?

In terms of influence on this book the most relevant answer seems to be:

The book that changed my mind
Jane Smiley’s A Thousand Acres, a retelling of King Lear, made me realise that old texts can be torn down and rebuilt in a different way.

message 35: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee Fraught and ambivalent female inter-relationships, self-ostracising for complex reasons, marginal existences, difficult parents, an unflinching look at bodily matters to name a few. I'm sure their aims are very different and I look forward to looking again at links once I'm done with Everything Under but there are parallels there.

Yes that was another interesting thread, and clearly massively influential.

message 36: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8514 comments Thanks Lee and interesting. I just can't get on with Moshfegh's books even though she is impressive in person and I do love the books of some authors who write very similar works (e.g. Patty Yumi Cottrell).

message 37: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee One of those things - you've certainly had a good go. I can't help but think of her in the same terms as Bret Easton Ellis more than anyone else - another polarising, misanthropic author I like but absolutely appreciate why others don't.

Maddie (ashelfofonesown) | 113 comments Finally managed to buy a copy of this one on BookDepository before it was out of stock again! I am very very excited to read this one. It was one of those that were on my TBR before the longlist was announced; I really admire Daisy Johnson's writing.

message 39: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee Maddie wrote: "Finally managed to buy a copy of this one on BookDepository before it was out of stock again! I am very very excited to read this one. It was one of those that were on my TBR before the longlist wa..."

Sure you'll love it, Maddie - it has a straight run of ***** on this forum, I believe. She has an interesting style (hadn't read anything of hers prior to this) that's quite harsh and spare.

Maddie (ashelfofonesown) | 113 comments I sure hope so, Lee! I also think I'll love it, which makes it even more daunting to read (what if it doesn't live up to expectations?). Especially now, as it's received so much praise here in the group, whose opinions I trust.

(Also have Moshfegh's new one to get to, that I've also been putting off because I'm almost certain I'll love it but don't want to be disappointed, as she's such a polarizing author).

message 41: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee Well, I am very much enjoying it thus far but had no idea what to expect...one way to find out, Maddie!

(I loved it, but I can see why you might not. Look forward to your response.)

Meike (meikereads) Thanks for the link, Lee! The books she mentions and her reactions to them are interesting when seen in the context of the horror elements in her own novel. Glad you are enjoying the book, and I hope you'll like it as well, Maddie!

message 43: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee No worries! Yes I am!

message 44: by June (last edited Aug 03, 2018 10:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

June | 121 comments Maddie wrote: "Finally managed to buy a copy of this one on BookDepository before it was out of stock again! I am very very excited to read this one. It was one of those that were on my TBR before the longlist wa..."
Thanks for your post. I rapidly clicked over to the site and purchased after finding Everything Under out-of-stock numerous times.

Regarding Moshfegh, I swore I would never read her again after Eileen, but I'm being seduced into reading this new one. We'll see how that goes....

message 45: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee Why is Moshfegh so addictive even to people who have disliked a previous effort? Genuine question.

Jonathan Pool Lee, The Booker effect is best seen in your recent Mookse contributions!
Controversial, sometimes divisive, but I’ve rarely seen you so engaged in the debate!!
This is what Booker brings, for better for worse!!
Glad that Everything Under has clearly stirred you so much.
What a great Booker season this is turning out to be.

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 5255 comments In my case Lee I clicked on a Net Galley link and requested an ARC but not sure why. As you say it was somehow addictive, a bit like not being able to turn away from a car wreck at the side of the road. My resulting review on NetGalley has I fear cost me a number of other ARCs - as have had my first ever refusals after posting it. Hopefully that will force me to go cold turkey.

message 48: by Lee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lee Jonathan: do you mean 'unnecessarily combative and slightly over-harsh'? I get too excitable around Booker longlist time, what can I say...I am working on channeling my enthusiasm correctly!

Gumble's Yard: you see the masochistic lengths Moshfegh can drive one to? It's a strange, sinister compulsion she manages to effect on even the most reluctant reader.

Maddie (ashelfofonesown) | 113 comments June: I'm glad you finally managed to buy a copy for yourself as well! It's been sold out everywhere. I'm glad this and the other debuts are getting the most attention, from what I've seen.

Maddie (ashelfofonesown) | 113 comments Book has been awfully slow processing the orders. Usually when I order from them they ship just a few hours after the order or the next day, tops. My last order, a few weeks ago, was "processing" for over a week. Hopefully they don't cancel the order for limited stock! :-(

« previous 1 3