Book lovers discussion

Group Read > The Time Travelers Wife *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Post your thoughts here :)

message 2: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 11 comments I'm not gonna write anything that will spoil it as no one's had a chance to read it yet. I read this a few weeks ago when I was on holiday and thought that it was a good book. I'm not sure if I agree with all the hype about it recently, but it is a good book, although a little confusing at times.

message 3: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) av just started it 2day it does look like it cud b confussing as it looks like it keeps jumping 2 different years but i have a feeling that once u get used 2 that then it shudnt b as confussing. but so far so gud...

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Zoe, I have also read this...I was in the opposite boat. There was no hype here...everyone kept telling me it was too romancy so I put it off. Perhaps because of this I had no expectations and so I loved it! It wasn't half as romancy as I thought it would be and I found so many bits of it to be quite funny! But I have totally been in your boat. Too much hype can ruin a book...it has for me many-a-time...Wicked comes to mind. I was told it was brilliant. Couldn't stand it...

message 5: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments I'm currently reading this and I didn't find it hard to follow. It dose jump around a lot but it sets you up for each jump a day or a chapter before it happens with little clues as to be explained later to the reader. Then whola it appears as you read forward. It is a quick jump into novel, right away I was hooked. Lately I've read a few that took a while to get into so that was refreshing! I'm not giving anything away just yet still not half way done only around the 200 page mark so just starting to get wilder. Really like it so far though!

message 6: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I found it hard to follow at first with all the switching around but i am starting to get used to it now. I think its going to be good :)

message 7: by Smash (new)

Smash (smash_attack) I'm only on page 17 and it's a great read, thus far. This line just had me laughing hysterically. "I now have an erection that is probably tall enough to ride some of the scarier rides at Great America without a parent." It came outta nowhere and surprised me, actually. Anywho - look forward to discussing the book!

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
LOL that line made me laugh too!

message 9: by Smash (new)

Smash (smash_attack) On pg 48. This books is really interesting! It's a different approach to telling a story and it's really entertaining. I'm really digging the jumping around through time. I loved when older Henry met 5 yr old Henry for "the first time."

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Ashley wrote: "On pg 48. This books is really interesting! It's a different approach to telling a story and it's really entertaining. I'm really digging the jumping around through time. I loved when older Henry m..."

That is one of my favorite parts too! Especially the part where they split the cookies and older Henry tells his younger self that he can tell his mother but not his father...such a great moment!

message 11: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zobo77) | 11 comments Jessica wrote: "Wicked comes to mind. I was told it was brilliant. Couldn't stand it... "

When I was in Waterstones earlier I was going to buy this book. I've seen the musical and really enjoyed it, so was going to buy the book. Though now I might just try to borrow it from a library instead!

message 12: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments I'm totally entertained! Its even addictive to see where Henry well pop up next its a trill ride! The writing style is so unique but it works! Its is very modern and deals with times and trends of my age! Rare jewel of a novel I still have a ways to go to finish it though, its one of those pick up and read between red lights kinda book (snicker-snicker) I don't actually do that now but its a thought! Lol!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Zoe wrote: "Jessica wrote: "Wicked comes to mind. I was told it was brilliant. Couldn't stand it... "

When I was in Waterstones earlier I was going to buy this book. I've seen the musical and really enjoyed..."

Yes, the musical was amazing! and NOTHING like th book. You may well like it...I guess my expectations were just a bit high. I was really disappointed. Still, I would borrow this from the library or purchase at a second hand store instead of paying for it at a bookstore. When I was at my local buck-a-book I found at least three copies of this book every time I visited. Just a suggestion though. When you have read it please let me know your thoughts on it!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Rare jewel of a novel I still have a ways to go to finish it though, its one of those pick up and read between red lights kinda book (snicker-snicker) I don't actually do that now but its a thought! Lol!

I have done this...I think I was in high school reading Harry Potter! So funny that you said that! I have NEVER admitted to ANYONE that I did this...wow. I'm blushing~ Yes, Traveller is totally one of these books! I could NOT put it down! I even brought it with me to social gatherings in case I found a pocket of time!

message 15: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments LMAO! I knew people did this! I have no dout that I've wished during long lights my books would like magic appear so I could use the moment to its fullest! There is this futuristic movie with sly stalone (I think) and they have robotic cars that drive you around. I wish I had one of those so I could read while I road, or a chauffeur!!!! ;)

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Karla wrote: "LMAO! I knew people did this! I have no dout that I've wished during long lights my books would like magic appear so I could use the moment to its fullest! There is this futuristic movie with sly s..."

Have you ever seen I ROBOT? There is a part where Will Smith puts the car on atuo pilot and it DRIVES ITSELF! Then WS picks up the newspaper and starts reading while drinking his coffee and the whole time I am thinking. YES! THAT IS WHAT I WANT! So...let's hope that is what our future has in store. I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE!

message 17: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments Someday when I time travel to the future Ill let you know if robot chauffeured cars are da bomb! Lol!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Karla wrote: "Someday when I time travel to the future Ill let you know if robot chauffeured cars are da bomb! Lol!"

Oh I have no doubt it will be amazing! I just want tomorrow to be today without us having aged a minute. That could happen, right???

message 19: by Smash (new)

Smash (smash_attack) On pg 118. I loved the part where Henry helped Clare humiliate that a**wipe. And later, he appeared in their present and kissed her cigarette scar. Awwwwww!

message 20: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments Yeah that little turd had it coming! As close as Henry and Clare are as couples go I was surprised she never spoke of it to him. Not that she wanted to give that creep another thought!

message 21: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
Im suprised that they didnt talk about it. I guess its not something that she would want to think about ever again!

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 42 comments Ashley, I know that was a total AWWWW moment. This book was really nice to read & I didn't really pay attention to the hype so I just went into it to enjoy it for myself. I saw the movie this week...did anyone else see it?

message 23: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I havent seen it. I dont know if i want to. Might wait till it comes out on dvd

message 24: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments A friend and I are reading the book first then going to see it but she is way behind me reading it. So It might be out on DVD before I get to see it! It looks like they have great actors to play Henry and Clare. I've been wondering who plays Gomez haveing a hard time mentally pictur'n him.

message 25: by Jo (new)

Jo | 2241 comments Mod
I wish i hadnt seen who was playing Henry and Clare before i read the book because i am having a hard time imagining them without seeing the actor and actress. I like to make my own image of what they would look like

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 42 comments I don't remember the guy who played Gomez. But I know I wasn't happy with the guy that they cast & I wasn't happy with the the girl that played Alba.

message 27: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments I had that problem with twilight! I picture Henry more rockstar thin than the actor, they have playing him. His name is on the tip of my tounge!!! Darn can't remimber... I give up! Lol!

message 28: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments The funny thing is Alba's discription sounds a lot like Nessie from Breaking Dawn! Werid deja Vu!

message 29: by Smash (new)

Smash (smash_attack) :-O eeeeeeeeep! I don't want to think of Nessie as anyone!

message 30: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments Sorry! Oops got carried away! Pretend I didn't say that!

Jessica~CoinOperatedJoy | 319 comments Ashley wrote: "On pg 118. I loved the part where Henry helped Clare humiliate that a**wipe. And later, he appeared in their present and kissed her cigarette scar. Awwwwww! "

and then CLare whispers, "Thank you." And they never speak of it again! I loved that moment too! SO GOOD!

message 32: by Smash (new)

Smash (smash_attack) I haven't met Alba yet. I assume that is their daughter? And about Nessie, I just don't want to picture anyone like her. She is creepy!

message 33: by Jennifer (last edited Aug 22, 2009 07:28AM) (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 42 comments @Karla...the actor is Eric Bana
The description in the book just didn't match some of the people in the movie.

& did anyone else have problems picturing Gomez when they read the book??? I was totally picturing a cute dark haired baseball player type of guy, but oh well

message 34: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments I was pictureing a blond,with a lumber jack body! I guess baseball players can have a wide body too!

message 35: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments By the way thanks Ashley for the Eric Bana help! Lol! On my blackberry can't investigate the info I need. I did finish the book on Friday and Ill wait for others before I open my mouth for spoilers!

message 36: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenJen1221) | 42 comments I guess I should've pictured a blonde b/c that's how hes described in the book, but the name Gomez just doesn't come off as a blonde to me...maybe if he had a different nickname...LOL

message 37: by Smash (new)

Smash (smash_attack) On pg 206. They are at Clare's parent's for Christmas! Very interesting dynamics going on there. I laughed when Clare said her mom was a WACKO right to her dad's face!

message 38: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) am on page 417 now and av laughed and cried but i think its gunna get a lot more sad : ( i still love this book tho

message 39: by ~Kate~ (last edited Aug 24, 2009 03:25PM) (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) finished now i loved it so much i laughed i cried

***SPOILERS***

the only thing i didnt like about the book is where it skipped a few decades which then we didnt find out about alba did she decide to keep time travelling when she reached 18?? and just other things we dont get to find out which did annoy me and also i found the ending a little sad but apart from that i loved it

message 40: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments I was wondering the same things like Clare's and Alba's life ment nothing after Henry. I wanted to know if Alba could have children all that too (pout-pout)

message 41: by ~Kate~ (new)

~Kate~ (katesbooklife) i know that was very disappionting its like the book just thought thats it the end i think it could have done with a few more chapters

message 42: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Edwards (cmedwards) FINALLY!!!! My book has arrived. I only had time to read the first few pages before work this morning . I can not wait to get the kids in bed tonight, relax and read.

message 43: by Smash (last edited Aug 26, 2009 07:48AM) (new)

Smash (smash_attack) On pg. 380. SPOILERS!!!!

How VERY interesting that Clare got pregnant, for the 6th time, from a past Henry, before he got snipped. What a twist. :)

(I am trying my best to finish up this fantastic book, but life is upon me. I started school again, and work 2 part-time jobs along with an internship! So, reading is done mainly at night before sleep.)

message 44: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments That sounds like it would be impossible to find time! You are working hard ya poor thing! You are really far into the book though. I thought it sounded like cheating without knowing it! LOL! That was crazy, while he slept even. I would not be able to sleep if my husband was getting it on!

message 45: by Faith (new)

Faith Mortimer (httpwwwgoodreadsfaith) | 5 comments I read this a couple of years ago and didn't rate it much. I liked the idea but it didn't work. There were too many coincidences thst just happened to work in the favour of Henry. I also thought that when he first met his wife as a young girl and he was adult it was all a little bit creepy.
I think there is probably too much hype about this book for me. I like to make my own decisions. i suppose 'annoying' could sum it up. sorry if that upsets some folk!

message 46: by Smash (new)

Smash (smash_attack) SPOILERS!

So, found out about Gomez and Clare's tryst. I knew he had a thing for her but didn't even think that she would've slept with him at some point. He creeps me out.

He just lost his legs too. And we find out how he died. Although I am confused as to how he is still traveling through time when he's dead. Strange.

message 47: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments He traveled to the future before he died a few times that's how I understand it. There's a lot going on quickly towards the end with short explanations.

message 48: by Smash (new)

Smash (smash_attack) Finished! Wow. What an ending. That letter he wrote her was incredible, and I HATE GOMEZ for what he did! Love that she got to see him once more...4 stars!

message 49: by Karla (new)

Karla (bookarita) | 289 comments Congrats! Don't you feel like taking a deep breath and finally releasing it! I didn't even realize I was holding my breath at the part leading up to the hunting scene! Wooo

message 50: by Smash (new)

Smash (smash_attack) Yea, the way he did it - inviting all those people over so she wouldn't be alone, holding her close when the time was near - was so intense! I was really not expecting the book to end that way - AT ALL!

« previous 1