Historical Fictionistas discussion

When Water Was Everywhere
This topic is about When Water Was Everywhere
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Ancient History (Old Threads) > Giveaway When Water was Everywhere

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Jasmine | 1246 comments Mod
We have been fortunate enough to be offered a chance for another giveaway, this time for the book When Water was Everywhere by Barbara Crane. For this book there are 3 paperback copies open to residents in the U.S.

The giveaway will be held from today, July 23rd until August 6th. Winners will have 48 hours to send me their information. After 48 hours they will forfeit their win. New winners will not be drawn. Failure to claim your win may result in disqualification from future giveaways.

Happy reading!

In her latest novel, award-winning author Barbara Crane's provides a vivid picture of the people who once lived in Los Angeles, their sorrows and their triumphs. American immigrants, Mexican Californios, Tongva/Gabrieleno Indians and Spanish padres come to life in her imaginative re-telling of California's Mexican era. As the novel unfolds, its themes of loss, hope and redemption resonate from every page.

Once upon a time in Los Angeles, water was everywhere--in rivers that rendered the vast plain marsh and woodland; in underground streams that provided an abundance of water for people, cattle, orchards and vineyards. Here you will meet the American Henry Scott who encounters this fertile landscape in When Water Was Everywhere. Arriving in the Mexican pueblo of Los Angeles in 1842, he meets Don Rodrigo Tilman (based on the historical John Temple). Scott becomes the foreman of Tilman's newly-purchased cattle ranch along the Los Angeles River, the present day Rancho Los Cerritos. As Scott learns about ranchos and cattle, vaqueros and Indians, Mexican California and Tongva Indian village life come alive under Barbara Crane's deft grasp of narrative and history.

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 615 comments I would be very interested to read this! I grew up in L.A. and have studied the Tongva fairly extensively.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Bowe (sarahsbookstack) I'd be interested in a copy. Thanks for the chance

message 4: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 248 comments As a Californian, I'd be interested in learning more about this period in my state's history and about the Tongva.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda Bridges (lindajoyb) | 758 comments This book sounds very interesting. I would love a copy.

message 6: by Aitza (new)

Aitza (aitzab) | 1 comments I don’t see many books about California’s Mexican roots. I would love to read this book

message 7: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Crane | 35 comments Abigail wrote: "I would be very interested to read this! I grew up in L.A. and have studied the Tongva fairly extensively."

Hi Abigail...I hope you will read the book, either as a giveaway or public library (both the Long Beach and LA Public Libraries have copies, which makes it available on Interlibrary Loan). One of my editors is a Tongva. She gave me extremely valuable information. I'd love to swap ideas and insights with you...Barbara

message 8: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Crane | 35 comments Aitza wrote: "I don’t see many books about California’s Mexican roots. I would love to read this book"
Hi Aliza...one of the things I found most interesting in researching the book was to learn about California's Mexican roots. California was a territory of Mexico for less than 30 years but made a profound impact on the culture, as did Spain for the several hundred years before. Hope you'll have a chance to read the book...Barbara

message 9: by Jackballoon (new)

Jackballoon (platogleon) | 5486 comments I would really love a copy of this book!

message 10: by Jodi (new)

Jodi | 4 comments Love learning/being intrigued by history other than that which is taught in schools, helps broaden the minds! Thanks for the opportunity.

message 11: by Leah (new)

Leah Moyes | 25 comments I would be interested in a copy of this book. Thanks!

message 12: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Crane | 35 comments Jodi wrote: "Love learning/being intrigued by history other than that which is taught in schools, helps broaden the minds! Thanks for the opportunity."
Hi Jodi...thanks for your comment. You've said exactly why I love historical fiction!

message 13: by Jasmine, Gatekeeper of Giveaways. (new)

Jasmine | 1246 comments Mod
Congrats to the winners:

Aitza
Abigail
Leah.

Please direct message me your address to pass on to the author. Thank you everyone for your entry.

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 615 comments Woohoo! Thanks for this opportunity!

message 15: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Crane | 35 comments Abigail wrote: "I would be very interested to read this! I grew up in L.A. and have studied the Tongva fairly extensively."
I received your address from Jasmine (Historical Fictionistas) and will mail the book to you on Monday, August 13.

Thanks for entering the giveaway.

Best,
Barbara

message 16: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Crane | 35 comments Barbara wrote: "Aitza wrote: "I don’t see many books about California’s Mexican roots. I would love to read this book"
Hi Aliza...one of the things I found most interesting in researching the book was to learn abo..."

Hi Aitza...
I received your address from Jasmine (Historical Fictionistas) and will mail the book to you on Monday, August 13. Thanks for entering the giveaway. I hope you like the book...Best,
Barbara

message 17: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Crane | 35 comments Leah wrote: "I would be interested in a copy of this book. Thanks!"
Hi Leah...I received your address from Jasmine (Historical Fictionistas) and will mail the book to you on Monday, August 13. Thanks for entering the giveaway...Best, Barbara

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 615 comments Thank you, Barbara! Looking forward to it.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.