CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2018 > Man Booker 2018

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3778 comments Mod
Two Canadian representatives on the long list: https://www.cbc.ca/books/esi-edugyan-...

message 2: by Susan (new)

Susan | 809 comments Good news on the Canadian nominees! I wish Edugyan's novel were available, but at least I am at the top of the hold list at the library.

I momentarily got excited about Sally Rooney having a new novel out, but it's not being published till April on our side of the pond! The frustration of the Booker every year ... I'm counting five of the longlisted books as not being available yet.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 809 comments Over the weekend, I read From a Low and Quiet Sea, which is longlisted for the Booker. I loved it, but I'm also a sucker for books with this kind of structure. It has three short sections that focus on different characters, and then the characters intersect in the final section. The writing is really wonderful and full of empathy.

I'm currently reading Sabrina from the long list. It's a very, very dark graphic novel. I'll admit that I fell into quite the funk while reading it yesterday and could only read a few pages on my lunch break today before I had to put it down. It's very good (and extremely topical) but man, it is DARK.

Has anyone else started tackling the long list? I need to get to Warlight soon. :-)

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 62 comments Susan wrote: "Over the weekend, I read From a Low and Quiet Sea, which is longlisted for the Booker. I loved it, but I'm also a sucker for books with this kind of structure. It has three short se..."

I just finished Warlight. The writing is so good but it took almost half the book before I got pulled into the story. It is rather slow and uneventful but it finally grabbed me and I was quite captivated by it. By the time I was done, I had to admit I was impressed. The storytelling has a rather hazy dreamy feel to it and I think it will take a patient reader to appreciate it. You need to just enjoy the beautiful writing and let the story unfold for you.

I am super curious about Sabrina. I enjoy and appreciate the occasional graphic novel and have no issues about one being on the long list, but I can't help but wonder just how good a graphic novel would have to be to qualify for this list. Did you think it was worthy Susan?

I have never read Donal Ryan before but have heard from many people that he is a beautiful writer and I am hoping to fit his book in soon. I love strong writing and think it is especially important when it comes to handing out literary awards.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 62 comments The Man Booker is my favourite award and I was pretty happy about this year's long list. I know there has been some criticism about some of the titles but there is always criticism for every single award list out there so I try not to get pulled down by it. It is the first time in a long time that I have been interested in, or at least curious about every single title.

message 6: by Mj (new)

Mj @ Susan - have a bunch of long-listed Man Bookers on hold. I've got Sabrina out currently. Had hoped to read it on my holidays but might pass right now based on your comments. Not sure that holiday time to read a very dark book that put you in a funk.....but I'll take it with me and play it by ear.

Am looking forward to reading both Warlight and Washington Black: A Novel soon as well.

@ Anna Glad to hear you enjoyed Warlight. You're right about Donal Ryan. He's an author that consistently makes the Dublin Impac Award - one of my favourite literary prizes.

Agree it's frustrating with so many long-listed contenders with books not due to be published here soon. Fyi, I've had some success buying from Amazon UK for UK authors in particular,, where they often publish first.

Right now while I'm hoping to read the long list....it doesn't look too promising in the immediate future. :(

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 809 comments Anna, thanks for your thoughts on Warlight. I'm really looking forward to reading it but need to find a quiet weekend so I can immerse myself in it.

Sabrina deals with big issues and is compelling. I think it will stick with me for a while (I'm not quite finished it). I don't want to say too much because I wasn't expecting it to go where it did and don't want to risk spoilers. I can see why it would have caught the interest of a jury. I agree that it would be odd for a graphic novel to go up against someone like Ondaatje, though. Mj, I'm really not sure it's vacation reading, but we all react differently to books!

I have Snap waiting for me at the library, so that will be next. :-)

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan | 809 comments Esi Edugyan made it through to the Booker short list. Ondaatje did not.

https://themanbookerprize.com/fiction...

message 9: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 3778 comments Mod
And the winner is: https://www.cbc.ca/books/milkman-by-a...

Anyone read this one?

message 10: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) No and judging from a friend's review in which the words "torture" and "lost the will to live" were used, I don't plan on trying.

message 11: by Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (last edited Oct 17, 2018 06:33AM) (new)

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 1836 comments If the audiobook shows up at my library, I may give it a whirl. I won't be buying it or even suffering through the read based on some of the reviews I've read. It appears to be a love or hate type book.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan | 809 comments I thought this sounded good when it was shortlisted but I've also seen and heard several negative comments about it. Even the usually very positive Guardian Books podcast hosts were a bit cool on it. They kept calling it "chewy," whatever that means.