ManBookering discussion

The Water Cure
This topic is about The Water Cure
2018 Longlist [MBP] > The Water Cure by Sophie Mackintosh

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maxwell (new)

Maxwell (welldonebooks) | 375 comments Mod
This thread is for discussion of The Water Cure by Sophie Mackintosh.

Please be considerate of spoilers when posting your thoughts. Either use the spoiler tag or make it clear at the top of your comment that you will be posting specific details of the story.

Happy reading & discussing!

Neil | 511 comments I was disappointed with this, so I am keen to hear from others. I found it very predictable and with at least two characters who never did anything and I'm not sure why they were there!

I hoping I can read some positive things here to show me what I missed.

Katrina (katrinasreads) | 3 comments I read this book last month before the longlist was announced, but I have to say that I'm not surprised that it is on there.

I enjoyed the structure of this book, the feel of multiple narrator's, the chapters in which the sisters share the joint narrative and also some of the short snappy chapters. The idea of an island of just women who had escaped from men also appealed at the outset, although as I read the book I quickly realised that the commune feel I was expecting was in their past and the book focused solely on one family. The family dynamics of the book were interesting and I found that my views on characters, especially the mother, changed drastically as we learnt more about her treatment of the daughters.

I did have a few issues with the book. Their are three sisters and the younger one barely speaks, I feel this was explained in the book as she was the most protected and didn't know the world outside of the island but it would have been good to hear her version of events. I also feel that books with multiple narrators need to have a clear narrative voice/style for each character and this book didn't do this, I often found myself flicking back to remind myself who was speaking. And, lastly I thought their reaction to the 'visitors' was a bit obvious, it would have been nice to see something different done here.

message 4: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara (bdegar) | 30 comments I think I will hold off on this one, wait for more reviews, and perhaps for it to come to my public library.

Hugh (bodachliath) | 151 comments This is not a genre that appeals to me very much - I did find the book interesting but wouldn't shortlist it. 3 stars: My review

message 6: by Britta (last edited Aug 04, 2018 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Britta Böhler | 314 comments Mod
I'm with @Neil on this one. I was quite disappointed, despite some interesting themes about gender politics and family dynamics.

2*

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Neil | 511 comments You agree with ME?

message 8: by Britta (last edited Aug 04, 2018 11:51AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Britta Böhler | 314 comments Mod
Neil wrote: "You agree with ME?"

Haha! I swear I did my ABSOLUTE best not to, but the book just wouldn't let me.

Meike (meikereads) Okay, I guess no one will drown in the depths of this tale. Also, no detectable feminism.

Here's my review.

Robert | 363 comments I sort of agree with Meike, for me Feminism means equality between and there's none of that here. Just one long power struggle

Here's my review

https://deucekindred.wordpress.com/20...

Craig Rimmer | 33 comments I agree about the voices of the characters occasionally being too similar but felt that became much less so as the plot developed. I enjoyed the book as a whole but was left wanting more answers about the world as depicted by James vs that of King and Mother and how either explain the men arriving in the first place and ‘ghosts’. I didn’t see it as a feminist tale but a primitive tale of us vs others.

Charlott (halfjill) | 39 comments This was the first longlisted novel I read this year (I am a bit behind...) and as most of you, I did not love it. I read it quite quickly because I enjoyed the writing and it was atmospheric, but that could not hide the conceptual flaws of the book. I felt like Macintosh got lost in her languished descriptions of violence against (white) women.

Here's my full review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Keriann (kad123) OK I'm in the minority here and really enjoyed this book, it has been the only one I've enjoyed from the list so far, this is a problematic book for me and there is a lot of unanswered questions however I wonder if this is done on purpose to envoke the same feelings as the sisters. My favourite from the list so far (I am ALWAYS the odd one out when it comes to these things!)