Aussie Readers discussion

Just for Fun! > Wild Kingdom! Pets? Wildlife? Share your stories here!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Hi, I'm Owl!
All my babies have paws. All eight of them! If you have animals in your life you know there's never a dull moment when you share your home with them!
I also love to read books about animals of any kind so I thought I'd add a thread dedicated to our wild kingdom.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1681 comments Great idea Owl! Animal lovers are bound to enjoy one of my recent reads, Finding Gobi: The True Story of a Little Dog and an Incredible Journey. I read the book, then spent ages on YouTube watching clips of the amazing little doggo.

message 3: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Thanks very much, Andrea! I have this on my tbr, too!

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Brenda | 70543 comments Mod
Loved that one Andrea :) Great thread Owl!

message 5: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3225 comments We have two dogs and three cats.

I've always loved My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell and also many of his other books.

Rosy Is My Relative was responsible for me nearly exploding at school, when trying to do silent reading, which was a thing in WA in the late 70s.

message 6: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Thank you, Brenda! =o)

message 7: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Those sound interesting, Leonie! I have oodles of animal and wildlife books that I haven't read yet! I started a Zoology challenge through another group so I'm hoping to get back to them! It's not a timed challenge and I have two years to work on it!

message 8: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 664 comments Here is why you can't have a rabbit on Queensland, of course.

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/ass...

Leonie I love that book as well have you seen the show about the Durrells on Netflix it's fab.

message 9: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 Great thread li'L Owl

Sadly my bad beagle boy passed away a few months back so we are petless at the moment - so I can enjoy everyone else's fur, feathered (and scaled?) babies

message 10: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 11694 comments Mod
Same Sally but I intend to change my petlessness very soon. I am sure there is a beautiful dog waiting at the pound for me to bring home once I am back from my holiday.

message 11: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

And please tell us about it when you do Phrynne :)

message 12: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Owl, bunnies are allowed in other states of Australia. I have friends that breed and show them and they live just an hour south of me, but over the New South Wales border.
So yes 14 guinea pigs, 3 bantam chooks and Percy the goldfish at my place. Plus Percy's dwindling supply of aquatic snails that are supposed to clean his tank, but I think are on the menu...

message 13: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Li'l Owl wrote: "Those sound interesting, Leonie! I have oodles of animal and wildlife books that I haven't read yet! I started a Zoology challenge through another group so I'm hoping to get back to them! It's not ..."

Ooh, I fancy a Zoology challenge :)

message 14: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Hmmmmmm!!!

message 15: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3225 comments Jazzy wrote: "Here is why you can't have a rabbit on Queensland, of course.

https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/__data/ass...

Leonie I love that book as well ha..."

I've seen bits so far - it was on SBS here. Hoping to watch the whole thing at some point.

message 16: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 664 comments Sally I lost one of my dogs 23 years ago and another 8 years ago and I still grieve for them :'( I'm so sorry about your Beagle boy xx

message 17: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Sally906 wrote: "Great thread li'L Owl

Sadly my bad beagle boy passed away a few months back so we are petless at the moment - so I can enjoy everyone else's fur, feathered (and scaled?) babies"

Thanks, Sally!

Aww! I'm sorry, Sally. Do you think you might adopt another baby some day? *hugs* xx

message 18: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Phrynne wrote: "Same Sally but I intend to change my petlessness very soon. I am sure there is a beautiful dog waiting at the pound for me to bring home once I am back from my holiday."

I'm sorry to hear you are babyless, Phrynne!
*hugs* xx
I look forward to hearing all about your new baby!

message 19: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Kylie wrote: "Owl, bunnies are allowed in other states of Australia. I have friends that breed and show them and they live just an hour south of me, but over the New South Wales border.
So yes 14 guinea pigs, 3 ..."

Thanks for sharing that, Kylie! You have a house full!
Haha! Escargo, anyone! 😁

message 20: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Kylie wrote: " Li'l Owl wrote: "Those sound interesting, Leonie! I have oodles of animal and wildlife books that I haven't read yet! I started a Zoology challenge through another group so I'm hoping to get back ..."

It's definitely a fun challenge, Kylie!

*hint* Brenda! 😁

message 21: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments We never forget them do we, Jazzy. I lost my Sadie dog last month and a week later lost my Tucker kitty. It was a bad month. Having my other babies definitely helps a bit though. I wouldn't fare well without them.

message 22: by Kylie (last edited Jul 30, 2018 10:51PM) (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Another one goes over the rainbow bridge, I just had to get one of my little munchkins PTS. I was supposed to go to a meet the author night tonight to meet Alli Sinclair, but too upset to go now.

message 23: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Oh Kylie that is too sad! So sorry to hear :( Take care of yourself.

message 24: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Brenda wrote: "Oh Kylie that is too sad! So sorry to hear :( Take care of yourself."

Thanks Brenda, he'll be missed :(

message 25: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

I'm sure he will - keep the good memories close to your heart :)

message 26: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3225 comments So hard when that happens, Kylie. Thinking of you.

message 27: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Leonie wrote: "So hard when that happens, Kylie. Thinking of you."

Thanks Leonie

message 28: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8144 comments Kylie wrote: " Li'l Owl wrote: "Those sound interesting, Leonie! I have oodles of animal and wildlife books that I haven't read yet! I started a Zoology challenge through another group so I'm hoping to get back ..."

Maybe a Noah's Ark challenge that could include boats/building, weather/rain, mountains, historical figures as well as animals.

message 29: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Kylie wrote: "Another one goes over the rainbow bridge, I just had to get one of my little munchkins PTS. I was supposed to go to a meet the author night tonight to meet Alli Sinclair, but too upset to go now."

Oh, Kylie! I'm so very sorry! *Hugs* xxx

message 30: by Li'l Owl (last edited Aug 04, 2018 06:13PM) (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Carolyn wrote: "Kylie wrote: " Li'l Owl wrote: "Those sound interesting, Leonie! I have oodles of animal and wildlife books that I haven't read yet! I started a Zoology challenge through another group so I'm hopin..."

Good idea, Carolyn!

message 31: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Li'l Owl wrote: "Kylie wrote: "Another one goes over the rainbow bridge, I just had to get one of my little munchkins PTS. I was supposed to go to a meet the author night tonight to meet Alli Sinclair, but too upse..."

Thanks Owl :(

message 32: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Of course, Kylie.
I know just how painful it is when we lose our babies. I've lost many babies throughout my life and it never, ever gets any easier.

I lost two fur babies within six days at the end of May.
I was supposed to go with my Dad to our cabin in Wyoming at the beginning of June but I was too shaken to leave my other fur babies at home.

I am in Wyoming with my Dad since the 31st of July and will be until the 16th.

I hope your pain eases a little bit at a time, Kylie.
I'm glad you shared your loss with us so we could send you some comfort during this sad and difficult time.
More *Hugs* to you my friend. xx

message 33: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Li'l Owl wrote: "Of course, Kylie.
I know just how painful it is when we lose our babies. I've lost many babies throughout my life and it never, ever gets any easier.

I lost two fur babies within six days at the..."

Thanks again Owl, yes I've lost many furbabies over the years and it doesn't get easier, even though some seem to affect you more than other. I'm very sorry for your loss as well. I hope your other bubbas are well and you enjoy your time in Wyoming :)

message 34: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Thanks, Kylie!
My neighbor is caring for them while I'm in Wyoming. He checked in with me earlier today reporting that all my babies are doing well, all eight of them!
My oldest kittie needs medicine every day for asthma and she's been being a good girl allowing him to give her her pill every day!
I'm a happy owl!!

message 35: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Li'l Owl wrote: "Thanks, Kylie!
My neighbor is caring for them while I'm in Wyoming. He checked in with me earlier today reporting that all my babies are doing well, all eight of them!
My oldest kittie needs medic..."

Good to hear! I remember trying to give my dog tablets from the vet, a bit of a mission haha

message 36: by B the BookAddict (last edited Aug 09, 2018 01:39PM) (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 3432 comments Gosh, never heard of a cat having asthma before.

I have to tell you of a case of 'Wild Kingdom' gone crazy. I had a woman in my department who was a bit of an odd-bod. She didn't turn up for work for a few days so I went to her place to see if she was okay. Discovered she owned two small Victorian terraces side by side which she had a door in between with no access to the outdoors. She lived with 42 cats, the stench was really disgusting, cat urine everywhere. Cats with runny eyes, cats with huge tumours, heaps of kittens, no cat looked entirely healthy. No wonder everything she wore stunk of cat pee. Having found she was okay, we went back to work. The associate I took with me rang the RSPCA immediately; she has already had quite a few run-ins with them it seemed.

It was then I vowed I would never own more than 2 cats at the same time and that they would each always have their own litter box. The experience had really shaken me.

message 37: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

Oh that sounds disgusting Bette! What an awful experience for you and your associate!

message 38: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments I feel sorry for the poor cats! They deserve better.

message 39: by B the BookAddict (last edited Aug 10, 2018 01:55PM) (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 3432 comments It was an experience that has always haunted me. She was obviously a pet-hoarder who became blinded to a cat's real wants and needs; space, fresh air and good veterinarian care. Cats, by and large, are solitary creatures and usually do not function well in such numbers.

message 40: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Oh, gosh, Bette! Poor kitties! That's not acceptable no matter what her reason for taking in them into her home. Many would probably be better off on the street as bad as that is for me to say.
Unfortunately it's a problem that can be difficult to get a handle on. I've seen some programs where there is a similar situation and the people won't let the ASPCA take any away as they are really attached to them. How on earth they can be very attached to 42 cats I don't know. Some owners can even get violent against the rescue agency members. Some people have had to be threatened with going to jail due to animal cruelty. I'll admit that I believe people should do jail time for such cruelty, no matter how they justify having so many.
It's certainly a sad for all involved all the way around.

You are so right, Bette, that cats will not do well at all in those numbers, especially as some are/were feral.

Hopefully the kitties and the lady will get help, making it a manageable home again. She's going to need help cleaning her home, as well. There are some kind people who volunteer their time to help.

message 41: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments I have six rescued kitties. I have three boys and three girls ranging in ages from my seventeen year old, Akima, to my triplet littermates, Oliver, Duncan, and Lilly, who are four years old. Pippen is eight and Hunter is six.
I don't know how I'm lucky enough that they all get along just fine. Not only that, but they all sleep and play together, otherwise I would have had to find homes for some of them.
If one of their siblings are missing for whatever reason, the others will look for them until they are together once again. They calm immediately once they are together again.

Like you, Bette, they each have their own litter box. I live in a rural wooded area so they have two large outdoor enclosures where they have access to trees, scrub oak, a bit of grass to enjoy 24/7 all year around.
Their total territory between outdoor and indoor is around one half acre so they have plenty of room and fresh air but are secure and safe from any outdoor threats. Their enclosures are also surrounded by the total fenced acre where my dogs have their yard. They love their dog sisters and the dogs are protective of their 'babies' so they have a double barrier around them.
They love to sleep in my chair or my bed with me so I'm rarely without at least one snuggler all the time. Since I don't work anymore, that's enough time for each to have at least an hour of personal snuggles with me every day. I think it's crucial that they all have individual attention with thier mama along with the companionship with their siblings.
I'm currently on my yearly vacation at our family cabin until the 16th of August and I can't wait to get home with my kids again.

message 42: by B the BookAddict (new)

B the BookAddict (bthebookaddict) | 3432 comments Owl, sadly I think that no matter what the RSPCA did at that time, she would go back to the same situation. She was raised by her grandmother who was also a 'cat hoarder' and had been prosecuted by the RSPCA several times.

Last I heard she had bought an old house on land, way up whoop-whoop. I think she thought that she'd be out of the RSPCA's radar there. All I can see is that cats could/would escape into the countryside and become feral cats which killed our young fauna.

There was definitely something amiss in her psyche. It was the lack of vet attention which bothered me the most followed closely by the vile stench.

message 43: by Kylie (new)

Kylie D | 740 comments Li'l Owl wrote: "I have six rescued kitties. I have three boys and three girls ranging in ages from my seventeen year old, Akima, to my triplet littermates, Oliver, Duncan, and Lilly, who are four years old. Pippen..."

Your babies are lucky they have such a good mummy Owl, unfortunately not all animals are so lucky.

message 44: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Sorry for the late reply! August was a busy month!

Yes, you are exactly right, Bette. Very sad but true.

message 45: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Thank you, Kylie! I'm very lucky to have them, too!
I wouldn't have them if I couldn't take care of them. I discovered early in life that the kids I've rescued have actually rescued me, too!

It's a clear case of
Who rescued whom?

I'm never without at least one 'reading buddy' sitting with me when I read (which is a lot of time!)
Fur babies and books are both an undisputed cure for fibromyalgia!!

message 46: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3225 comments Having just arrived home from two weeks in New Zealand, I have been buried (quite literally) under three cats for the last three days. And have had insane quantities of canine love from our two dogs.

message 47: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

You think they might have missed you a little Leonie???

message 48: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3225 comments Brenda wrote: "You think they might have missed you a little Leonie???"

It's possible... 🤣🤣🤣

message 49: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new)

LOL!

message 50: by Li'l Owl (new)

Li'l Owl | 2504 comments Leonie wrote: "Having just arrived home from two weeks in New Zealand, I have been buried (quite literally) under three cats for the last three days. And have had insane quantities of canine love from our two dogs."

I feel your pain, Leonie! I think I've had at least one in my lap, on my chair, or on my bed since I returned home August 16th!
I think they think they're punishing me for leaving them and I think I could get used to this kind of discipline! 😉

« previous 1