The Great American Read discussion

The list, other books, movies > Which books on the list have Gay/LGBTQ characters?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
The list seems to have something for almost everyone. When I watched the PBS intro show I noticed several books that had gay/LGBTQ characters, themes or authors. Right now I can only think of three.

What others are on the list?

If you read them, tell us about them. Which do you recommend?

Tales of the City - 1970's SanFrancisco was a very vibrant time/place in history.

Another Country

Brief life of Oscar Wao

message 2: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

J. (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
White Teeth has a lesbian couple.

Game of Thrones has several veiled references to gay characters throughout the series.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Well, Oscar Wilde was gay, and while the character in Dorian Grey wasn't openly gay, there's definitely allusion to it.

Here's an article on the subject
http://www.watermarkonline.com/2018/0...

message 4: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Well, Oscar Wilde was gay, and while the character in Dorian Grey wasn't openly gay, there's definitely allusion to it.

Here's an article on the subject
http://www.watermarkonline.com/2018/0......"

Thanks, this is an interesting article. It sounds like the movie of The Color Purple took a relationship farther than portrayed in the book.

It also addresses the question re Johnny in Prayer for Owen Meany - The author wanted to leave that open to interpretation.
A Separate Peace has a relationship that many interpret as homoerotic, but the author (who is gay) denies it was intended.

He also reminds us that Dumbledore was gay.

He said Leonardo DaVinci might have been gay (or a non-practicing homosexual). He was obsessed with the male body, sure, but is that proof? But it doesn't matter, because he was a dead character in the DaVinci code.

message 5: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

J. wrote: "White Teeth has a lesbian couple.
Game of Thrones has several veiled references to gay characters throughout the series."

Thanks J. Were the characters in the lesbian couple a good part of the story, or just incidental?

In the GOT TV show, the references are no longer veiled. At all.

message 6: by J., Your Obedient Servant (last edited Jul 27, 2018 04:44AM) (new)

J. (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
NancyJ wrote: "J. wrote: "White Teeth has a lesbian couple.
Game of Thrones has several veiled references to gay characters throughout the series."

Thanks J. Were the characters in the lesbian couple a good part..."

One girl was a cousin of one of the main families. She is periodically throughout the story. I wouldn't call it incidental.

message 7: by Jess (last edited Jul 27, 2018 05:20AM) (new)

Jess Penhallow | 28 comments LGBT characters
Moira in The Handmaid's Tale
(view spoiler) in Ready Player One

Implied LGBT characters
I think Nick's feelings for Gatsby are definitely more than platonic!
Mrs Danvers in Rebecca
Dorian Grey

LGBT authors
Oscar Wilde
James Baldwin
Daphne du Maurier was bisexual and had relationships with women

Does it ever state that Margo in Gone Girl is gay? Or am I just making assumptions because she's single and a tomboy?