Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Before We Were Yours / Lisa Wingate / 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 10 comments Told from the perspective of 2 narrators, one present day and one past, Before We Were Yours tells the interwoven story of 2 families, generations apart that are changed by the (historically true) Tennessee Children’s Home Society.

This book could have been better than it was. What a disturbing and heartbreaking topic that should keep a reader’s attention, but the narration in present day bored me to tears and made the book difficult to get through. (I put it down for weeks) I wish Avery Stafford could have been a more likeable character - it would have made this book so much better.

message 2: by Colleen (new)

Colleen I agree! I fully believed in the hype, but ultimately gave it a generous 4 stars. I listened on audio, so not sure if that took some of it away from me. I found it a little slow and although Rill was young, I thought she was kind of dense and too hopeful.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2088 comments I was not fond of the present day story and the romance was unnecessary. I appreciate learning about events and people, but I think I would have enjoyed a non fiction book.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2088 comments The author notes at the end was my favorite part.

message 5: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’m a bit scared to read this to be honest! The present day story really doesn’t sound like my kind of thing and it has put me off.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9053 comments Nice first review and welcome Jillian.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice review. This book has gotten good reviews but the storyline turns me off for some reason.

message 8: by Karin (last edited Jul 24, 2018 06:25PM) (new)

Karin | 7301 comments Susie wrote: "I’m a bit scared to read this to be honest! The present day story really doesn’t sound like my kind of thing and it has put me off."

I gave this book 4 stars and liked Avery; not quite as much at first, but she grew as the book went along. I thought the present day romance tied in as it showed change in attitudes and growth from the old story and the new.