Play Book Tag discussion

My Own Country: A Doctor's Story
This topic is about My Own Country
Archive: Other Books > My Own Country: a doctor's story – Abraham Verghese - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1082 comments Verghese, Doctor of Infectious Diseases, settles in Eastern Tennessee with a position at the VA hospital and teaching responsibilities and clinic hours at U of TN Medical Center in 1985. HIV/AIDS has become an epidemic in major urban areas but Verghese sees his first rural case shortly after his arrival. Verghese gives a detailed accounting of how the disease grows in TN. Cases are mostly gay men returning home when they need family support. Then a few gay couples; some women who have been infected through there contacts with HIV carriers and a couple who get infected through a blood donation. The stories are heartbreaking. Victims and their care givers handle the situation differently. We also see the effect this has on the local medical community and Verghese's personal life. Very well written.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review. What a heartbreaking story but one worth reading. Its so odd to look back into the 1980's and see how differently things are now. The treatments, all of it. We have come so far.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5794 comments I also rated it 4 stars.