Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Man Booker 2018 longlist

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (last edited Jul 23, 2018 05:10PM) (new)

Jen | 1545 comments The longlist was announced today. Really interesting list. Graphic novel, crime fiction, and a book that includes poetry. Here are the booksNormal People

The Mars Room
The Long Take
The Overstory
Sabrina
The Water Cure
From a Low and Quiet Sea
Milkman
Warlight
In Our Mad and Furious City
Washington Black: A Novel
Everything Under
Snap
Normal People

message 2: by Jen (last edited Jul 23, 2018 05:14PM) (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Once again, we host a shadow panel on my blog where 6 of us read and review the longlist books. Anita, Nicole D, and I are part of the panel along with three others.

We all did terribly predicting the longlist (Nicole did the best with 3 books).

I'm pretty excited about the list this year. It looks pretty good. I own 4 of the books but haven't read any of them yet.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’m so excited! I’m going to try and read them all by the winner announcement. It looks like my plan to have some of them read before today’s announcement was in vain. I haven’t read ANY of them despite reading many from the eligible Listopia list!

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Susie wrote: "I’m so excited! I’m going to try and read them all by the winner announcement. It looks like my plan to have some of them read before today’s announcement was in vain. I haven’t read ANY of them de..."

You and me both. I tried to cram a bunch of potentials before the announcement but didn’t read the 2 that did make the list from my predictions list. I look forward to seeing your reviews.

message 5: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5515 comments I always love to see the list. So exciting. I have The Mars Room, so time to move it up.

I read Esi Edugyan's debut novel Half-Blood Blues and loved it. Warlight appeals to me and From a Low and Quiet Sea sounds right up my alley.

message 6: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2214 comments Now there’s a challenge ...

message 7: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Are you in Kate?

message 8: by Tracy (last edited Jul 23, 2018 07:36PM) (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments I’ve read The Mars Room and Warlight. The Mars Room was good. I’m not a fan of Ondaatje’s writing style, so I didn’t love Warlight.

I have The Overstory, and have heard about Sabrina. As usual, I haven’t heard of the majority of the list. But quite a few look good. Should be an interesting Booker!

message 9: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5515 comments Tracy wrote: "I’ve read The Mars Room and Warlight. The Mars Room was good. I’m not a fan of Ondaatje’s writing style, so I didn’t love Warlight.

I have The Overstory, and have heard about Sabrina. As usual, I ..."

Did a double check and I have The Overstory on my kindle...(now that's embarassing).

message 10: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2214 comments I’m in, Susie!

message 11: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Hooray!

message 12: by Kristel (last edited Jul 24, 2018 03:58AM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments JenP can you put the authors names with the list above. I think that would be nice. I haven’t read any. I own The Mars Room. I just wanted to say that Richard Powers is a great author. I read Richard Powers, The Time of Our Singing a few years back. So The Overstory is the one I will be watching. My library doesn’t have any of the books except The Mars Room which I own and Warlight. I like Ondaatje’s writing style.

message 13: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’ve been lucky. My library has five of them. I’ve reserved them and most are available at other branches so as soon as they are transferred they will be in my hot little hands.

message 14: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6292 comments I think getting the books is the hardest part of trying to read them all before the deadline. Well, that and I'm a slow reader. Definitely planning to read at least the four I have purchased, starting off with The Mars Room.

For those of you who have read Warlight - - any chance it actually fits the tag of espionage? It's not one I'm especially attracted to, but if it can do double duty (truly) then I might go for it.

message 15: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments Anita wrote: "I think getting the books is the hardest part of trying to read them all before the deadline. Well, that and I'm a slow reader. Definitely planning to read at least the four I have purchased, start..."

Yes, being a slow reader is a problem I have as well as I spread my reading self too thin.

message 16: by Anita (last edited Jul 24, 2018 01:36PM) (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6292 comments Jen wrote: "Once again, we host a shadow panel on my blog where 6 of us read and review the longlist books. Anita, Nicole D, and I are part of the panel along with three others.

We all did terribly predictin..."

Here is Jen's blog just in case you haven't seen it yet. I've enjoyed following it tremendously.

http://thereadersroom.org

I'm the least eloquent reviewer of the six she has on the panel, so you may enjoy checking out the reviews as they come in!!

Last year, I had at least read a couple before the announcement. No such luck this time. Some of these are hard to get here in the U.S. (grumble, grumble)

message 17: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 691 comments Curious, those of you that try to predict what will make the long list, how do you find the books that you think might make it? Are you looking in book reviews, following bloggers, watching new releases, what is your method? I am intrigued by this.

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments J.W. wrote: "Curious, those of you that try to predict what will make the long list, how do you find the books that you think might make it? Are you looking in book reviews, following bloggers, watching new rel..."

I’m doing all of the above. I subscribe to lots of different newsletters, follow Guardian and Irish times reviews (bc I want to be aware of which literary books are acclaimed in the UK. I follow literary critics on social media, and I create a list of eligible books.

message 19: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6292 comments J.W. wrote: "Curious, those of you that try to predict what will make the long list, how do you find the books that you think might make it? Are you looking in book reviews, following bloggers, watching new rel..."

Nicole D is the one to answer this as she consistently seems to do a better job at predicting than almost anyone else I know . . .I have one non PBT friend who got five, but as part of a collective effort with other like-minded readers. I think it's pretty hard. I guessed one. Of thirteen.

message 20: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I just follow Jen. 🤣

There’s a Listopia list here on Goodreads every year that lists books that are eligible. They didn’t do so well this year though!

message 21: by Jen (last edited Jul 24, 2018 02:18PM) (new)

Jen | 1545 comments J.W. wrote: "Curious, those of you that try to predict what will make the long list, how do you find the books that you think might make it? Are you looking in book reviews, following bloggers, watching new rel..."

Oh, and I also pay attention to how certain people here on goodreads rate books. Susie, Kristel, Tracy, Anita, Nicole, and a few others tend to read the sorts of books that get nominated. So if they give a literary fiction book 4-5 stars, I file that info away.

Granted predicting the longlist is virtually impossible. We do much better with our shortlist predictions

message 22: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Actually, that’s not true. I just had a look at the list and most of them are there. There just weren’t the ones I chose to pre-read unfortunately!

message 23: by Jen (last edited Jul 24, 2018 02:27PM) (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Susie wrote: "Actually, that’s not true. I just had a look at the list and most of them are there. There just weren’t the ones I chose to pre-read unfortunately!"

I mean this year is pretty crazy bc almost none of the regulars made the list. And no Australians or New Zealand authors!! Usually most nominees are at least in the top 3rd on the goodreads list

message 24: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I was hoping our Tim Winton would make the cut. Oh well.

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Susie wrote: "I was hoping our Tim Winton would make the cut. Oh well."

I was stunned he didn’t make it. I heard mixed things about flanagan’s new book and Carey’s book had some negative comments about portrayal of women characters being weak - and with three judges who seem to be feminist writers/critics I thought that would prevent them from making the list.

But Tim Winton should have made it - nothing but amazing reviews for his book.

message 26: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I can’t wait to see him talk about it next month. It’s being hosted by a comedienne that I adore so hopefully it will be a good night.

message 27: by Nicole R (last edited Jul 24, 2018 02:46PM) (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments I haven't even HEARD of any of these books except for Warlight! Apparently, my romance bloggers are not down with the Man Booker! lol

message 28: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments The fact that they open the awards to books from the US must have complicated it for you guys - much more options to guess from

message 29: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments Susie wrote: "I just follow Jen. 🤣

There’s a Listopia list here on Goodreads every year that lists books that are eligible. They didn’t do so well this year though!"

Me, too! 🙂

message 30: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1182 comments Maybe after the hoopla is done, we should do a “Should Have Bookered” list.
Tim Winton’s book would easily have been my pick- it’s gritty, timely, and I couldn’t stop listening.

message 31: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments That’s a great idea Tracy. I’d add Sing, Unburied, Sing, along with Freshwater, to the list. I will be reading Shepherd’s Hut in the next month despite it not being on the longlist as I want to read it before going to see him talk.

message 32: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1478 comments Susie wrote: "I’m so excited! I’m going to try and read them all by the winner announcement. It looks like my plan to have some of them read before today’s announcement was in vain. I haven’t read ANY of them de..."
ME TOO!

I also thought I'd correctly predict at least 8 books. haha.

message 33: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1478 comments There's a group on GR called The Mookse and the Gripes. I have been faithfully reading their Man Booker posts for the last two years. I tried to get ahead of things this year and FAILED but read some great books as a result, so I have no complaints.

message 34: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Lol Nicole! We thought we were so clever.

I am at risk of spending so much time reading about reading the Man Booker longlist that I won’t have enough time to actually read it. 🤣

message 35: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1478 comments haha Susie ... same.

BTW - if you don't follow "The Reader's Room" blog please do. Even if you never visit again, your follow helps us get books from publishers more easily. (Shameless, honest, plug.)

message 36: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2214 comments Followed, Jen :) Really happy to get your updates.

I suspect my book buying list will be considerable if I’m to get hold of these in time to read them. I’ll go and pester my lovely local librarians on Saturday and see what I can do, though (nothing available through the app).

message 37: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Nicole D. wrote: "There's a group on GR called The Mookse and the Gripes. I have been faithfully reading their Man Booker posts for the last two years. I tried to get ahead of things this year and FAILED but read so..."

I try not to read them bc I don’t want my reviews to be influenced by their opinions. But i do use the list they generate as a reference. Jen once I’ve written my review, I allow myself to read their reviews

message 38: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments KateNZ wrote: "Followed, Jen :) Really happy to get your updates.

I suspect my book buying list will be considerable if I’m to get hold of these in time to read them. I’ll go and pester my lovely local libraria..."

Thanks! I hope you read along with us and chime in with your thoughts on the various books.

message 39: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments I followed too. Please don't spam me ;)

message 40: by Jeremiah (new)

Jeremiah Cunningham | 691 comments Guardian review of Everything Under.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/201...

message 41: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1478 comments Jen wrote: "I try not to read them bc I don’t want my reviews to be influenced by their opinions. But i do use the list they generate as a reference. Jen once I’ve written my review, I allow myself to read their reviews
."

i don't read their reviews, I scan their predictions list. They are the reason I was so excited to read stupid Sight

message 42: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2214 comments So our library has none of them except for Milkman (still in processing). I foresee an expensive month ahead

message 43: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Wow - I haven’t heard of any of these, including the graphic novel. While I don’t read a ton of literary fiction, I usually know the recent releases.

message 44: by Sara (new)

Sara (mootastic1) | 770 comments My library has 8 and I requested they purchase the other 5, but who knows if they will. Warlight and The Mars Room are on their way to me and I put the other 6 on hold. I'm trying to avoid buying any, but I might have to.

message 45: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7252 comments All the talk about Warlight, i was sure I would be waiting the rest of the summer to get it from the library-just walked in an checked it out! Quite the nice surprise

message 46: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8297 comments Wasn’t Home Fire on the list? I just bought the hardcover copy from the library for two bucks. It was on my soon to read list anyway.

message 47: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments That was on the 2017 list. I loved it.