What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Children as an Endangered Species

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cara's Craftsations (last edited May 02, 2019 04:57AM) (new)

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments I just finished watching this Australian/Polish show called Spellbinder: Land of the Dragon Lord In the which the MC Kathy accidently travelled to a parallel world where the inhabits are survivors of a terrible plague who were turned immortal, but also infertile, by the cure. Now everyone lives the life of nobility, being waited on by robot servants, but they get have gotten horribly bored after living for so long and having tried every conceivable past-time.
Because they cannot have children to liven things up they have built doll-like robot children as a sad attempt at playing parents. When Kathy appears, everyone wants her, a 'real live child' to be an replacement for the robotic and biological children. Trouble ensures for Kathy.

Now the kid doesn't necessarily have to be the only kid in the world. I just want kids to be a rarity.

Preferably told though the kid POV, alter POVs are acceptable though.

I have already read these, I just know that people are going to suggest them.

The Handmaid's Tale Due to global sterility the remaining fertile woman are forced to become baby makers for the elite

The Children of Men Also has features an infertile society.

Thank you in advance - any suggestions will be much appreciated.

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jul 24, 2018 02:06PM) (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
Cara, you really DO ask for some of the neatest book ideas.

I don't know if I suggested this one for any of your other great queries, but Dread Companion has faery like alien beings trying to pull in children from other worlds because of a lack of their own.

I know I've read some others, but right now I can't think of what they are. I had either food poisoning or a stomach bug last week, and still haven't entirely recovered from that. I'll think some more and try to remember some of the others.

Oh, and as an "anti" of your request, there is Invitation to the Game a YA book about what happens when there are too MANY children in a world of the future.

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Cara, you really DO ask for some of the neatest book ideas.

I don't know if I suggested this one for any of your other great queries, but Dread Companion has faery like alien beings ..."

Aww! Thank you, Ann!

The recs sound good both under and over.

I hope you feel better soon, but hey more time for reading. :0)

message 4: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Jul 26, 2018 05:52PM) (new)

Another one with too many children (i.e. NO adults) is Outside this one is more middle school, early YA. But it's one of the "early" stories about all the adults dieing/disappearing in the sci-fi lexicon. Still I liked it when it was just a short story, then she expanded that into this very short book.

And one where the alien males (sorry, but, well, there you have it) have to go "out" to find other species in order to have children is Secret of the Lost Race this is YA, btw.

As you can tell, I have thought some more, and while I'm feeling better, still not great. Ah, the joys of both GERD and an ulcer when you get any kind of stomach upset.

message 5: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 859 comments I think In the After has few children

message 6: by Scott (new)

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Scott wrote: "Nemesis"

Shanna_redwind wrote: "I think In the After has few children"

Thanks, guys.

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "A Rag, a Bone and a Hank of Hair"

Thank you! This is just what I'm looking for.

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Children of Time"

Sounds great, thanks.

message 12: by Sir He-Man (last edited Sep 23, 2018 04:34PM) (new)

Sir He-Man (rocketeer) | 9 comments Check out Empty World by John Christopher. 3 children survive a plague in London and they are the only ones left. As they enter puberty the boy, who is the main character, falls for one of the girls. The other turns out to be a psycho. They all have to pull together to survive. It's one of the eeriest things I read as a child, especially the description of the last days of the plague.

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Joe wrote: "Check out Empty World by John Christopher. 3 children survive a plague in London and they are the only ones left. As they enter puberty the boy, who is the main character, falls for one of the girl..."

Empty World clickable.

Thanks.

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Mandy wrote: "Gone

The Enemy

Eve of Man"

Thanks.

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments I need to clarify that I'm interested in books that have adults (and kids) dealing with the lack of children.

Not about kids with little to no adult supervision or dystopian future where all the adults are gone.

message 17: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Sep 30, 2018 06:46PM) (new)

Hum, does Childhood's End count in this one Cara? I just finished re-reading it and remembered your thread about only kids in the world. This one actually deals with what happens when humanity hits the "end of the line" as homo sapiens and finally evolves into something else.

Emergence has the standard "humanity does something stupid and almost everyone is killed" thing. The MC in this is an 11 yo girl genius. She learns that (again) she isn't homo sapien but rather the next stage in evolution, and there are others out there like her. So she sets off to find others, eventually meeting a 13 year old boy and then a young mother and her 4 or 5 year old daughter. Despite the age of the MC, this is NOT a children's book. It was an excellent novel, and one that I enjoyed way back when.

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Hum, does Childhood's End count in this one Cara? I just finished re-reading it and remembered your thread about only kids in the world. This one actually deals with what happens when..."

The books sound good I'll check them out thanks...Though I would really like to find a book that is similar to Spellbinder: Land of the Dragon Lord. Keep them coming.

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Only a Bump*

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Infertile bump*

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Bump*

message 22: by Nora (new)

Nora | 112 comments The Emissary might be an interesting fit.

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Nora wrote: "The Emissary might be an interesting fit."

Sounds good. Thank you.

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "The Hunted"

I love this suggestion! It sounds like what I'm exactly looking for. Thank you!

message 26: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16278 comments You're welcome!

message 27: by Carson (new)

Carson (explodingtardis10) | 28 comments Bumped and Thumped by Meghan Mccafferty. You should also look into the Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix which plays on the Chinese one child policy.

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Carson wrote: "Bumped and Thumped by Meghan Mccafferty. You should also look into the Shadow Children series by Margaret Peterson Haddix which plays on the Chinese one child policy."

I have already read these. Thank you.

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Thorn
A Planet Called Utopia"

Thank you Rainbowheart.

message 31: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Hoople | 6 comments The Book of the Unnamed Midwife is a bit of a different premise than you're asking for but it's got a shortage of women and children in this gritty, post-apocalyptic sci-fi series so I thought I'd share just in case!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Rachel wrote: "The Book of the Unnamed Midwife is a bit of a different premise than you're asking for but it's got a shortage of women and children in this gritty, post-apocalyptic sci-fi series so I thought I'd ..."

Well thank you very much for that.

message 33: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1079 comments Greybeard by Brian Aldiss Greybeard

Cara's Craftsations | 1635 comments Pamela wrote: "Greybeard by Brian Aldiss Greybeard"

Thank you.