Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Great American Read Personality Quiz

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments So I took this quiz. Here are my results.

Tom Sawyer - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

You’re totally a Tom! You are mischievous with an active imagination which may get you into trouble periodically. You have unflagging energy and a thirst for adventure. Anytime you find yourself in tight spot your charisma and charm rescues you in the nick of time. You may be known as a bit of a goof, but your desire for fairness and equality trumps all. You’d never leave a friend hanging, even if they might deserve it. You appreciate books with a edge of humor and adventure, even if it means ending up in hot water, you know a wild journey is worth the time (and story you’ll get to tell!) to get to the destination.

Your Great American Read book list includes:
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, by Mark Twain
Where the Red Fern Grows, by Wilson Rawls
To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
The Call of the Wild, by Jack London
The Catcher in the Rye, by J.D. Salinger
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime, by Mark Haddon
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8868 comments You are a Tom, and you have loved most of these books. Where can I take the quiz?

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8868 comments I am Atticus Finch! And a description sounds a lot like me. But since I took the quiz on the side of the pool I could necessarily see all the pictures very well. I wonder if I chose again if I would get it right, or the same way? If I did it at home I could also cut and paste maybe the description and you guys can see if you agree. I think some of the Attributes were intelligent, kind, warm and would reach out to anyone, very fair, seeing things from a broader and larger perspective. So far so good.

message 4: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments I‘m The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

You are curious by nature and love learning about everything. When someone asks you, “where is one place you’d love to visit?” you struggle to answer because you want to go everywhere.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7878 comments LOL-For just knowing(cyber-wise) a few a months I definitely see you as Tom!

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7878 comments Jason wrote: "So I took this quiz. Here are my results.

Tom Sawyer - The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

You’re totally a Tom! You are mischievous with an active imagination which may get you into trouble periodical..."

Where is the quiz?

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm Celie from The Color Purple..."You are protected by your unwavering force of strength. Your fortitude and guile get you and your loved ones through the worst and best of times. You can see the light at the end of the tunnel and never give up hope that you’ll get there. Your self-reliance is awe-inspiring, and hard to replicate… it comes deep from within you, it was never taught to you, and you’ve had it all along. You are drawn to stories with characters overcoming unspeakable odds and insufferable tragedy, only to rise above and prove their circumstances wrong."

message 9: by Joanne (last edited Jul 23, 2018 04:18PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7878 comments I am the Game of Thrones...love it!

You are a loyal friend who protects the ones you love at any cost. However, if someone you trusted crosses you, you aren’t afraid to fight back. Still, you enjoy reading about these situations a lot more than you enjoy participating in them

My GA reads books:

Pillars of the Earth-(read about 4-5 times)
1984 - Never Read
Tom Sawyer-can't count how many times I have read
Grapes of Wrath-One read in High School
Alice In Wonderland-Once as a kid
Americanha=never read
Anne of Green Gables-A favorite-just gifted my grand-niece with a cop
Another Country-never read

message 10: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8868 comments Amazing how this quiz is getting us all so right!

message 11: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6208 comments The Call of the Wild...I've never read that.

message 12: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2504 comments I’m Hitchhikers Guide too! No surprises there :)

message 13: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 10 comments The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

“You are an empowered individual who isn’t afraid to take what you want. You have strong opinions about the world and fight to make it the best it can be.”

One of my favorite books!

My GA reads:

1984 - George Orwell
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
Alex Cross Mysteries - James Patterson
Charlotte’s Web - E.B. White
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime - Mark Haddon
The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown
Flowers in the Attic - V.C. Brown
The Giver - Lois Lowry
Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn
The Handmaid’s Tale - Margaret Atwood
Harry Potter Series - J.K. Rowling
Hatchet - Gary Paulsen
The Help - Kathryn Stockett
Hunger Games series - Suzanne Collins
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
The Notebook - Nicholas Sparks
The Outsiders - S.E. Hinton
To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee
Twilight series - Stephanie Meyer

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7202 comments Darn, it wants my email and I try not to give that out for these games, so I have no idea!

message 15: by Rachel N. (last edited Jul 23, 2018 06:38PM) (new)

Rachel N. | 1532 comments Karin wrote: "Darn, it wants my email and I try not to give that out for these games, so I have no idea!"
You can hit skip below where it asks for your email and still get the results.

message 16: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1597 comments I’m Call of the Wild by Jack London

You are wild and have a great sense of adventure. You probably love reading outside and discussing books with your close pack of friends.

message 17: by Rachel N. (last edited Jul 23, 2018 06:39PM) (new)

Rachel N. | 1532 comments KateNZ wrote: "I’m Hitchhikers Guide too! No surprises there :)"
I'm also Hitchhikers Guide :-)

message 18: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Here is the Great American Read Quiz. Different than the one posted. http://www.gpb.org/great-american-rea...

message 19: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments For the one posted above, I got Call of the Wild by Jack London.

You are wild and have a great sense of adventure. You probably love reading outside and discussing books with your close pack of friends.

message 20: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments lol that's what I got
(I accept, but will decline half of the book recs):

Michael Corleone - The Godfather
You’re a bit crazy, like Corelone...

You’re an enigma, kind but tough, cut throat but fair, and ambitious but loyal. You might come across as moody, but it's really just that you think more deeply about things than those around you. You’re two steps ahead of everyone else, seeing the natural progression of plans in action, knowing exactly when you need to make your move.

You hone in on books with ambiguity and mystery. You appreciate the psychological along with the concrete elements of a good story. Your Great American Read book list includes:

The Godfather, by Mario Puzo

Gone Girl, by Gillian Flynn

And Then There Were None, by Agatha Christie

Game of Thrones, by George R. R. Martin

Moby Dick, by Herman Melville

The Stand, by Stephen King

1984, by George Orwell

The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas

Heart of Darkness, by Joseph Conrad

message 21: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments what the hell is pickle juice??

message 22: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1597 comments Ha! Jason we are the same! I got Tom Sawyer from the PBS one and Call of the Wild for the other one.

message 23: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Charlotte, we are 67% similar in the books we have rated.

message 24: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5069 comments I was surprised that it gave me Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!

message 25: by Robin (new)

Robin A I‘m The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

message 26: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5069 comments Interesting - for the second quiz, I got Celie from The Color Purple.

message 27: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8868 comments I have now taken three quizzes! The one Jason posted was the same, yet has more selections than the one I did on my phone earlier. There were two kinds of dogs now, more drinks, more libraries, except the one I loved was gone. And I couldn't decide between Paris and New Zealand. So first time was Atticus Finch, which I think was most right. And I had already read 8 of the ten suggested books. The second time was Celie from the Color Purple. Sushi cat's quiz got me "I am Alaska." But I didn't love the selection choices. I'm still going with Atticus Finch.

message 28: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5069 comments I took the second quiz again, and chose my alternate choices (for those where I had more than one favorite) and I got Jo March! At least the list of books this one gave me was better - I've read five of them as opposed to I think only one or two from the first list.

message 29: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 804 comments Now I took Jason’s quiz:

Michael Corleone - The Godfather
You’re a bit crazy, like Corelone... You’re an enigma, kind but tough, cut throat but fair, and ambitious but loyal. You might come across as moody, but it's really just that you think more deeply about things than those around you. You’re two steps ahead of everyone else, seeing the natural progression of plans in action, knowing exactly when you need to make your move. You hone in on books with ambiguity and mystery. You appreciate the psychological along with the concrete elements of a good story.

message 30: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8639 comments Sushicat wrote: "
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/wh..."

Thank you for the link.

It didn't "nail" me. Maybe for the reading portion, but not the personality portion:

"I‘m 1984 by George Orwell

You are a rebel who constantly challenges the status quo. You like to read books from different points of view and you often find yourself trying to share what you know with closed-minded individuals around you."

message 31: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8639 comments Jason wrote: "Here is the Great American Read Quiz. Different than the one posted. http://www.gpb.org/great-american-rea..."

And for this quiz, I still don't agree with the personality portion, but of the list of books, I'm happy with most of the ones I've already read!

"Scarlett O’Hara - Gone with the Wind
You’re such a Scarlett

You’re a bold, determined person who works hard to get where they are. You appreciate action over contemplation, and doing over thinking. You might be a bit spontaneous at times, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have a grand plan. And overall you have a lover’s heart, even if you come off tough as nails.

You appreciate books with a strong lead who achieves their goals, even if it means getting a little dirty. Your suggested reads include:

Gone with the Wind, by Margaret Mitchell
Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon
Rebecca, by Dame Daphne du Maurier
The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks
Twilight , by Stephenie Meyer
Coldest Winter Ever, by Sister Souljah
Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston
One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez"

message 32: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8639 comments Idit wrote: "what the hell is pickle juice??"

The "juice" (i.e. liquid) from the pickle jar? LOL!

message 33: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8639 comments Have to admit, I didn't recognize the majority of those PBS characters. The ones I recognized didn't work for me, so I just picked the one who appealed most. :-)

message 34: by annapi (last edited Jul 23, 2018 11:05PM) (new)

annapi | 5069 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Have to admit, I didn't recognize the majority of those PBS characters. The ones I recognized didn't work for me, so I just picked the one who appealed most. :-)"

I didn't recognize a lot of them either, so I defaulted to LeVar Burton as he featured books on his show. Of the ones I recognized I could not relate to them.

I also had a problem with the drinks, because I really only drink water most of the time, and the only water they had was seltzer - and I don't like fizzy drinks! I love tea, but not matcha, so it was either that or lemonade, which is not a favorite either but was at least tolerable.

The pictures of the libraries were too small to see details clearly so it was hard to choose - too many looked really good!

message 35: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7878 comments On the new quiz posted I got Scarlet O'Hara too

message 36: by Rachel N. (new)

Rachel N. | 1532 comments On Jason's quiz I got Atticus Finch. I've read about half the suggested reads.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "I have now taken three quizzes! The one Jason posted was the same, yet has more selections than the one I did on my phone earlier. There were two kinds of dogs now, more drinks, more libraries, exc..."

You were Celie too!! But I agree with you. You are Atticus Finch.

message 38: by Robin (new)

Robin A Jason's quiz I got Celie - The Color Purple

message 39: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1597 comments Jason wrote: "Charlotte, we are 67% similar in the books we have rated."

I'm guessing we are bit on the outdoorsy side with all of our answers and were given the outdoorsy characters/books. I only read that way about half the time and I've only gotten broad in my reading choices this past year. Although 67% is still pretty high, right?!

message 40: by LibraryCin (last edited Jul 24, 2018 12:47PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 8639 comments annapi wrote: "I also had a problem with the drinks, ..."

Yeah, I had a few options for drinks. My favourite one is iced tea, which is different in Canada than in the US. In the US, it's cold tea, possibly sweetened (so I chose the "sweet tea" option, assuming that to be closest).

Our iced tea in Canada is much sweeter. It's not really tea, as far as I know. I usually buy a powder and make it at home myself and keep it in a jug in the fridge (Goodhost is my favourite brand). But, there are premade (in bottles, like you'd buy pop) brands, as well, Nestea and Lipton both make an iced tea that you could buy in a bottle.

ETA: I think my alternates would have been milk or lemonade.

message 41: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1597 comments LibraryCin wrote: "annapi wrote: "I also had a problem with the drinks, ..."

Yeah, I had a few options for drinks. My favourite one is iced tea, which is different in Canada than in the US. In the US, it's cold tea,..."

Sweet tea differs throughout the US a bit. I grew up on Sweet Tea in the south that my mom made and southern sweet tea is ridiculously sweet. Growing up my mom always made Lipton and she says that the Nestea and Lipton bottles are close enough in a pinch. I would definitely say that Iced Tea and Sweet Tea are very similar.

The drinks were easy for me, I'm addicted to La Croix... fizzy flavored water, so I picked seltzer. The libraries were the hardest for me to choose from as they all looked similar. I looked for the one that looked the most cozy and cluttered.

message 42: by Joni (new)

Joni | 623 comments I‘m Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
You are an independent individual who values time to yourself. You enjoy seeing friends and family of course, but there’s nothing better than spending time with no one but the characters in the book you’re currently reading.

This is totally me.

message 43: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8639 comments Charlotte wrote: "Growing up my mom always made Lipton and she says that the Nestea and Lipton bottles are close enough in a pinch. ..."

Interesting! I didn't know you could get Lipton or Nestea in the States! I remember, when I was a kid, the first time (or maybe 2nd time?) I went to the US, I was warned not to order iced tea in a restaurant because it would not be what I was expecting!!! LOL!

message 44: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1597 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "Growing up my mom always made Lipton and she says that the Nestea and Lipton bottles are close enough in a pinch. ..."

Interesting! I didn't know you could get Lipton or Nestea i..."

Lipton is pretty common in the southeast. And it depends on where you go. Here in the PNW everything is unsweetened and you have to add sugar which just isn't the same. In the south, it's real ice tea and it's so sweet you can feel yourself getting a cavity while you drink it! LOL!!

message 45: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments I‘m The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood
You are an empowered individual who isn’t afraid to take what you want. You have strong opinions about the world and fight to make it the best it can be.

Hmmm, not sure this is the most flattering of the options!

message 46: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Oh, I guess I didn't take the right quiz (the one Jason took). I liked taking this one better even though the description is not much more flattering.

Jay Gatsby - The Great Gatsby
You’re great like Gatsby!

You are drawn to the glamor of it all! Epic would be your middle name if you had the choice. You’re interested in the impact, the affect, and the transformation of it all when paired with the right environment. You might come off as vain, but others don’t always see the drive to create something astounding. When it comes down to it, you’re a romantic at heart, seeking to share a bit of magic in this tough world.

You appreciate books with a grand scheme at hand. Where the characters find themselves in extraordinary circumstances, doing extraordinary things. Your Great American Read book suggestions include:

The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Notebook, by Nicholas Sparks
Wuthering Heights, by Emily Brontë
Great Expectations, by Charles Dickens
A Separate Peace, by John Knowles
Catch 22, by Joseph Heller
Dona Barbara, by Romulo Gallegos
Another Country, by James Baldwin

message 47: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8639 comments Charlotte wrote: "Lipton is pretty common in the southeast. And it depends on where you go. Here in the PNW everything is unsweetened and you have to add sugar which just isn't the same. In the south, it's real ice tea and it's so sweet you can feel yourself getting a cavity while you drink it! LOL!!..."

I do wonder, though, if the Lipton iced tea that is sold in the US is a bit different than what they sell here? I bet it is. :-)

message 48: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6016 comments Jason's quiz: I'm Michael Corleone from The Godfather
You’re a bit crazy, like Corelone... You’re an enigma, kind but tough, cut throat but fair, and ambitious but loyal. You might come across as moody, but it's really just that you think more deeply about things than those around you. You’re two steps ahead of everyone else, seeing the natural progression of plans in action, knowing exactly when you need to make your move. You hone in on books with ambiguity and mystery. You appreciate the psychological along with the concrete elements of a good story.

On Sushicat's quiz: I'm The Call of the Wild
(Well, I AM in seven F2F book clubs ....)

message 49: by Joi (last edited Jul 25, 2018 03:58PM) (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments For Sushicat's Quiz I got:
I‘m Looking for Alaska by John Green
You are a romantic who probably falls in love too fast and sometimes with the wrong people. You enjoy a good love story, but you don’t necessarily need a happy ending.

I definitely agree with this. I'm most likely a YA with dark tones, some romance, and some weird twists. Sounds like me. Lol. I'll have to read this noe.

For Jason's I got:
Harry Potter
Happily, you're a Harry!
You don’t always want to be the hero, but find yourself in situations where you can’t help but defend others in the name of all that is right. Your desire to do good and be good means you’re constantly finding yourself the knight-in-shining-armor for others. It’s not all bad, because you actually enjoy the adventure, especially when your friends are along for the ride.
You appreciate books with a grand design, big stories, featuring great heroes and heroines.
The Harry Potter Series, by J.K. Rowling
The Giver, by Lois Lowery
Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving
The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak
The Brief Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao, by Junot Diaz
Dune, by Frank Herbert[

I don't really think I'm like Harry Potter at all. Although all the list they gave that I have read, I have enjoyed (all YA). I chose butterbeer as my "favorite drink" which is why I think I got this.

message 50: by Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (last edited Jul 26, 2018 12:24PM) (new)

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) Atticus Finch - To Kill a Mockingbird
You’re fine like Atticus Finch!

You’re an old soul, regardless of your age. People sense in you wisdom and integrity. Along with your loyalty and intelligence, you are the best kind of friend. You are always there for someone when they go through a hard time, and always willing to extend a helping hand. Your sense of integrity only gets you in trouble when the honest answer conflicts with the kind answer. You work hard to strike a balance of fairness and authenticity, and succeed more often than not.

>>I strive for this?

You are fair, just and true, appreciating books with a character seeking justice for all, regardless of the consequences.

>>I do like reading about Good people, not dysfunction or violence...

Liked /To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
Won't Read /The Help, by Kathryn Stockett
Absolutely won't read / The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold
Ditto / The Da Vinci Code, by Dan Brown
Love / The Little Prince, by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
No Way / Alex Cross Mysteries, by James Patterson
Not likely to ever read /Things Fall Apart, by Chinua Achebe
Want to read someday / The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck

... also they missed some I have loved, and some I am looking forward to.

« previous 1