Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
This topic is about The Blade Itself
Abercrombie - Various > The Blade Itself [Sep 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7217 comments Mod
This is a Buddy Read for The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie starting September 1, 2018.
The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1) by Joe Abercrombie

message 2: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Any interest in scheduling the series? Maybe for the following month on the 10th or whatnot? I have a feeling I'm going to like it enough to continue.

Dave McMahon | 31 comments Sounds good to me! Count me in for the series.

message 4: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments In :)

If I like the first book I'll definitely be in for the rest series :)

Laura Tenfingers | 1022 comments I'll join you for the third book, Last Argument of Kings, if you keep going with the series.

message 6: by Victor (new) - added it

Victor (ace-geek) | 18 comments I'm in. This has been on my tbr list for a while.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7663 comments So excited to stalk your comments when you all read this!
I loved the series so much.

message 8: by Victor (new) - added it

Victor (ace-geek) | 18 comments Siobhan wrote: "So excited to stalk your comments when you all read this!
I loved the series so much."

You're going to have the joy watching all of us react to plot twists and everything. "Oh I love this character!" "Keep reading..."

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7663 comments Can't wait! XD

message 10: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I will join Siobhan and stalk this thread :D

Solseit | 1460 comments I have been meaning to start this series so many times. At this point, I feel like I should. Count me in!

message 12: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Me too Aristea! I'm excited to finally be picking it up!!

message 13: by Dave (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dave McMahon | 31 comments Ugh finally got the book delivered! 3 weeks of a wait nearly killed me lol

message 14: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Lol brutal wait.

Solseit | 1460 comments I am getting hyped though and I have a ton of books to read before. Better focus on those so I do not feel itchy on this read!

message 16: by Dave (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dave McMahon | 31 comments Nearly there lol That was a fast few weeks!

message 17: by Rose (new) - added it

Rose (roserachel) | 20 comments I'm in too

message 18: by Dave (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dave McMahon | 31 comments We should discuss the pace of the read, to find a happy medium for fast/slow readers etc. I'm somewhere in the middle myself, Niki how do you get on?

message 19: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Usually it would take be about 3-4 days, but I'm so slammed right now I'd be comfortable with anything longer than that. Like a week? Higher? How are you feeling about it? :)

Solseit | 1460 comments I am itching to start a tad early - it would defy the purpose of the paced read but I cannot wait!!!

message 21: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I have a second BR starting on the 1st and I'm not sure yet if I will read them one after the other or try to read them at once. So I'm not sure if I will be able to follow a paced read.

message 22: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (last edited Aug 29, 2018 09:08AM) (new) - added it

As long as we mark spoilers and give an indication where we're at, we should be able to all read at different speeds but still discuss (no worries if you need to finish one first, Bea, I'll still gladly chat with you about the book when you get to it haha). Aristea - go for it!!! :D

Solseit | 1460 comments Niki said go, I am going! I have been wanting to read this series for 2 years now (I purchased the audiobook so long ago) - so I am glad I can finally get to it!!

message 24: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Aristea wrote: "Niki said go, I am going! I have been wanting to read this series for 2 years now (I purchased the audiobook so long ago) - so I am glad I can finally get to it!!"

haha awesome! Looking forward to reading your comments as I we catch up. I hope it is worth the wait for us both!!!

message 25: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

I'll probably start on the first. I'm not sure how busy the weekend is going to be (husband's birthday and monthly board game night), but we'll see what I can do. :)

message 26: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments May I start a bit early too? I wanted to finish Iron Council first but it is putting me into a reading slump so I need to start something else.

message 27: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

No problem, Bea! Whatever makes the read fun for you. :)

Solseit | 1460 comments So, I am through the first part.
I am having a blast so far.

here a few thoughts.
I am loving the characters; some are not particularly inventive but there is one that is absolutely unique for me and I really enjoy reading his story line (Glotka).

I am enjoying the structure of the story. Again, there isn't much in terms of novelty but I clicked with everything.

Also, the audiobook is really good, for those interested in that.

I also am still blind as to the overall story arc and I am itching to stop working today to resume my read!!

message 29: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Finished part 1, I'm liking it so far!
Glokta is a very interesting character! (I always read Glotka and almost wrote it too haha, but then Aristea did too, so maybe it's common😅)

I'm curious how this is going to develop.

But: why is there no map in the book? I had to google for one first becauce maps are very important for me to create a mental image of fictional worlds...

Solseit | 1460 comments I finished it and I loved it.
I was expecting to be less connected to the characters and the story.
Yet I loved how the complexity was slowly unfolded. I am half tempted to start right now the the next book in the series. But I will hold my horses and start a different book!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7663 comments Bea wrote: "Finished part 1, I'm liking it so far!
Glokta is a very interesting character! (I always read Glotka and almost wrote it too haha, but then Aristea did too, so maybe it's common😅)

I'm curious how ..."

There was an answer to the map thing on last year's thread, but I can't remember what it is 🙈
Something to do with wanting us to just visualise it however we want maybe. I'll check back through the archive when I get a minute! Unless someone else can remember?

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2409 comments I remember the article I believe Joe didn’t want to use a map like other fantasy novels as he thinks it’s become a staple and I think he wanted to let the reader figure out the world for them selves without a map. To be honest without a map you have a good idea where everything is this place is north this is south this is west etc although there are fan art of maps which might help you

Although it his standalones and shattered isles series have maps so I might be wrong

message 34: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Thanks for the link!
I understand Joe's argumentation but still, I prefer when there's a map. It's become a habit for me to look at the map at the beginning of a book for a few minutes before I start reading and create a mental picture of the world and then when I start reading I can put everything "in place" if that makes sense. It's irritating me a bit when I can't do that and makes it a bit harder to get into the first few chapters, that's all.

Anyway, I'm about three quarters through and still liking it!

message 35: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Starting today haha. 😁

message 36: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

@Dave, if you'd still like some sort of schedule, just lmk :)

message 37: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Finished! It was pretty good and apparently it's the weakest book in the series, so I'm looking forward to continuing it.

Also, it wasn't as grimdark as I expected it to be (but maybe that's just because I just read Manifest Delusions which was super dark)

message 38: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Lol, y'all are just movin right along. :)

Through ch 2 (view spoiler)

message 39: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Through ch 6 (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7663 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Lol, y'all are just movin right along. :)

Through ch 2 [spoilers removed]"

You're not alone there! ❤️ Glokta.

message 41: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Niki Hawkes wrote:

(view spoiler)

message 42: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Ch 7 (view spoiler)

message 43: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Siobhan wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote: "Lol, y'all are just movin right along. :)

Through ch 2 [spoilers removed]"

You're not alone there! ❤️ Glokta."

lol I wrote my next comment before reading yours. - booya! Haha

message 44: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Bea wrote: ..."

(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7663 comments Bea wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote:

.."

Just keep going... :) for me, First Law is the epitome of grimdark.

I'm interested though, if you don't consider this grimdark, what is an example of what you would say is grimdark?

Shaitarn | 1889 comments This is a re-read, but I'm looking forward to it!

message 47: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Siobhan wrote: "Bea wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote:

.."

I'm interested though, if you don't consider this grimdark, what is an example of what yo..."

It very well may be. I know I've been schooled a couple of times on genre definitions haha. I think so far the component that's missing for me to call it grimdark is a visceral, gut punch element (but that may be only how I define it... and I'm only on ch 7 haha). Traitor's Blade is a good example of one that fits my grimdark paradigm. And Malazan, so far.

message 48: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

Shaitarn wrote: "This is a re-read, but I'm looking forward to it!"

Yay!! I hope it holds up better than Bitten did on the reread. :)

message 49: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - added it

I spoke too soon! Through ch 9 (view spoiler)

message 50: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Siobhan wrote: "Bea wrote: "Niki Hawkes wrote:

.."

I'm interested though, if you don't consider this grimdark, what is an example of what yo..."

I'm not saying it is not, I will hold back my judgement until I have finished the series.
Hm, I think mainly because it didn't have that bleak, dark atmosphere. It was often pretty funny (and that's not a bad thing, I liked the atmosphere of the book!) and it was almost completely lacking that emotional draining for me.
Also, I expected it to be more explicit in terms of violence considering the reviews I had read.
But again, maybe I will change may mind in the next two books :)
I'd say the darkest series I've read so far are Manifest Delusions and The Prince of Nothing (I didn't like that one, though). Also some parts of Malazan that left me gutted.

« previous 1