What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Loner
This topic is about The Loner
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Fiction: Orphan Boy Meets Girl Whose Hair Gets Pulled Out by Farming Equipment [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob Hill | 2 comments Greetings, All.

I am looking for the name and author of a short story or novella for a friend of mine, who claims that he originally read this story somewhere between 2005-2010. Based on his recollection, here are the major details:

1) The main character is an orphan boy.
2) This orphan boy is taken care of by a man whose name the boy cannot remember, until be notices the name (David) in the Old Testament of the Bible.
3) The orphan boy meets a girl and the two of them become fast friends.
4) One day the boy and the girl are together and the girl's long-flowing hair gets caught in a piece of farming equipment. The farming equipment yanks most of the girl's hair out of her scalp.

I apologize if any of these details are slightly off the mark. I am basing my query on someone else's recollection. With that said, does anyone in this group have any idea what the name and author of this novella or short story might be? I'm desperately trying to help my friend, who would love to rediscover this story. Any insight that you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to your thoughts.

message 2: by Ayshe (last edited Jul 24, 2018 03:09AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4161 comments Is it The Loner by Ester Wier?

Summary from 35 Best Books for Teaching U.S. Regions: Using Fiction to Help Students Explore the Geography, History, and Cultures of the Seven U.S. Regions—and Link Literature to Social Studies: "The boy" can't remember having a mother or father. He's worked in the fields as long as he can remember, traveling with anyone who will give him shelter in exchange for his earnings. Once, he becomes close enough to a migrant girl that she almost gives him a name, but she's killed when her long yellow hair is caught in a potato- digging machine.

Possibly the same book as the one searched for here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...-

message 3: by Bob (new)

Bob Hill | 2 comments It is! It is! Thank you so much, Ayshe! This mystery is solved.