Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - Group Reads > The Nature of the Beast by Louise Penny (no spoilers) - August 2018

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Jul 23, 2018 01:34PM) (new)

Gem  Paullin | 1290 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about The Nature of the Beast (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #11) by Louise Penny, your hostess is Jamie.

Please note no spoilers should be revealed in this discussion.
The Nature of the Beast (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #11) by Louise Penny The Nature of the Beast (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #11) by Louise Penny The Nature of the Beast (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #11) by Louise Penny

Summary

Hardly a day goes by when nine-year-old Laurent Lepage doesn't cry wolf. From alien invasions, to walking trees, to winged beasts in the woods, to dinosaurs spotted in the village of Three Pines, his tales are so extraordinary no one can possibly believe him. But when the boy disappears, the villagers are faced with the possibility that one of his tall tales might have been true. And so begins a frantic search for the boy and the truth. What they uncover deep in the forest sets off a sequence of events that leads to murder, leads to an old crime, leads to an old betrayal. A monster once visited Three Pines. And put down deep roots. And now, it is back.

message 2: by Jamie, Moderator (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 157 comments Mod
I finished the book already and here is my spoiler-free review:

I haven't ever read any from this series before. I liked the mystery and think it went along at a solid pace. I didn't seem to care too much about the eccentric characters, maybe because I'm not familiar with them, but for whatever reason, it felt like reading a cozy mystery in that way. There's nothing bad to be said about this book, it was a good mystery, it simply didn't WOW me in any way.

message 3: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) Hi Jamie - I read this last summer after reading the previous 10 books. I have to say it is my least favorite entry of one of my favorite series! I think reading these in order helps you become familiar with and invested in the characters. I know Penny tries to catch readers up who haven't read previous books, but you miss a lot!

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann I love this series. I strongly recommend you start at the beginning as you really get their backstories and relationships. For me, each new book she releases is one I wait for and then save until I need what I KNOW will be a satisfying, almost comforting read.

It's also one of the few series I'll pay full retail price for, vs waiting for the price to drop when the paperback is released, or borrowing from the library.

message 5: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) I would also add that the audiobooks for this series are stellar! Especially the first 10 narrated by Ralph Cosham.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan | 30 comments Ann wrote: "I love this series. I strongly recommend you start at the beginning as you really get their backstories and relationships. For me, each new book she releases is one I wait for and then save until I..."

Ann, that's what I decided as I excitedly began listening to the audiobook of this, having read only Still Life previously, which I loved. I decided about 20 minutes in that, sadly, I would need to go back and read more of this series first, as it seemed clear I would cheat myself if I continued. It seems like a wonderful, distinctive series and Louise Penny's writing is wonderful.

message 7: by Paty (new)

Paty Nady | 7 comments I still didn't read How the Light Get In, but read the ones before that.

I stopped reading because Jean Guy was my favorite character and I didn't like how the 8th book ended...

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann Paty wrote: "I still didn't read How the Light Get In, but read the ones before that.

I stopped reading because Jean Guy was my favorite character and I didn't like how the 8th book ended..."

Don't give up -- get back to it -- things get better for him . . . .

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I have read this series in the correct ordered, and I must go back and read it from the beginning. However, I enjoyed reading The Nature of the Beast. I loved the way, Louise Penny portrays her characters and intertwines them with each other. Louise Penny does a fantastic job in describing her settings that make you feel you are part of the story.