Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - Group Reads > The Outsider by Stephen King (no spoilers) - August 2018

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Jul 23, 2018 01:18PM) (new)

Gem  Paullin | 1286 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about The Outsider (Finders Keepers #4) by Stephen King, your host is Elton.

Please note no spoilers should be revealed in this discussion.

Summary

An unspeakable crime. A confounding investigation. At a time when the King brand has never been stronger, he has delivered one of his most unsettling and compulsively readable stories.

An eleven-year-old boy’s violated corpse is found in a town park. Eyewitnesses and fingerprints point unmistakably to one of Flint City’s most popular citizens. He is Terry Maitland, Little League coach, English teacher, husband, and father of two girls. Detective Ralph Anderson, whose son Maitland once coached, orders a quick and very public arrest. Maitland has an alibi, but Anderson and the district attorney soon add DNA evidence to go with the fingerprints and witnesses. Their case seems ironclad.

As the investigation expands and horrifying answers begin to emerge, King’s propulsive story kicks into high gear, generating strong tension and almost unbearable suspense. Terry Maitland seems like a nice guy, but is he wearing another face? When the answer comes, it will shock you as only Stephen King can.

message 2: by Elton (new)

Elton Menezes | 4 comments Hi everybody! Stephen King made his solo comeback with a crime novel that takes some surprising twists and also blows our minds. Have you read The Outsider? If so, what are your opinions regardind this thriller? If you didn’t, what are your expectations?

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Not normally a huge fan of Stephen King, However, I have started to read the The Outsider and so far I am enjoying it.

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 135 comments I enjoyed this hybrid model for Stephen King. It feels like a murder mystery in the same vein of his Mr. Mercedes series. The detective character delivers the internal code of conduct and internal emotional side as a parent. He reminds me of Harry Bosch from the Michael Mcconnell books in that way.

message 5: by Aditya (new)

Aditya | 1869 comments I will start with it today, thought there will be more activity as it is a King book. Guess the group now reading quite a few books in various sub genres and there being two threads for each book, each individual thread feels a little empty. Anyway hope more members will join in.

So far King's attempt to mix supernatural and mystery had not worked for me (looking at Joyland and End Of Watch) whereas when he kept his crime books free from paranormal shenanigans they were pretty good - Mr. Mercedes and Finders Keepers. Let's see how this one works out.

message 6: by Jenny (last edited Aug 09, 2018 11:33PM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) I am not a huge fan of Stephen King, and I finished reading the Outsider today, and it has not changed my mind. I did finish reading the Outsider, so I gave it 3 ★.

I do believe that Outsider is well written and research by Stephen King even though it was not my favourite book to read this year. The way the characters were portrayed and interlinked with the horror and suspense parts of the plot is done well by Stephen King.

message 7: by Nehemias (last edited Aug 20, 2018 07:15PM) (new)

Nehemias (Vlad_Centeno) | 1 comments Jenny, I would like to know why you gave The Outsider three stars. I am not looking to argue with anyone, I am only interested in your opinion. You said that Stephen King's portrayal of the characters and the plot were good, but I would like to know what you did not like about the book.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 135 comments This book was like visiting an old friend. It was classic Steven King writing style. The TV series CastleRock had me in the mood. I enjoy all of King’s books and this book is a worthy installment.

message 9: by Diane (new)

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 135 comments Aditya’s comment about Mr. Mercedes and Finder’s Keepers resonates with me. I was impressed with a pretty interesting detective story without the paranormal. I imagined fans chimed in and said where is the paranormal stuff. I think there is a bit of that in the Outsider too. Outsider makes a statement about how humans don’t want to believe in real monsters. If you sat around and tried to come up with one of the most horrific crimes you can think of, you might come up with the opening of this book. We believe a human could have done it. Even a human who has a glowing reputation and a perfect alibi can thought to be guilty rather than accept there could be real monster responsible. Scary thinking there are human monsters that would commit such a horrific crime.

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Nehemias wrote: "Jenny, I would like to know why you gave The Outsider three stars. I am not looking to argue with anyone, I am only interested in your opinion. You said that Stephen King's portrayal of the charact..."

Hi Nehemias - a good question. We all have our likes and dislikes in books that is why it is so enjoyable to be able to discuss our opinions on a book with others.

I know people who love this book. However, I have read other Stephen King's books, and I do have trouble engaging with his plots.

My reason for "three stars" are:

1. If I am engaged in a book, I will finish it in a day. Nehemias, it took me five days to complete this book.

2. If I am not engaged in a book, but I was able to finish reading it - I will give it 3 Stars

However, Steven King is a fantastic writer but sadly enough not for me.

message 11: by Aditya (new)

Aditya | 1869 comments Finished it yesterday, nice balance between the mystery element and the supernatural. The change in genre midway is a bit jarring but once you get past that point, King does sell the concept well. I hope saying it involves 2 genres isn't really a spoiler because if you approach it as a straight up crime procedural you would probably be disappointed with half the book.

My spoiler free review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Diane wrote: "It was classic Steven King writing style."

Agree with this reminded me of the older King books.

message 12: by MadProfessah (new)

MadProfessah (madprofesssah) | 41 comments The best part of the Mr.Mercedes books were the non-supernatural stuff.

Once you add the supernatural how can you call it a “mystery “ any more because ANYTHING can happen??

message 13: by Aditya (new)

Aditya | 1869 comments @MadProfessah I too liked the straight up crime books in Bill Hodges series. The Outsider is structured as a mystery with a supernatural element. I guess you might call it horror if u want.