Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

The President Is Missing
This topic is about The President Is Missing
Archive - Group Reads > The President is Missing by Bill Clinton & James Patterson (no spoilers) - August 2018

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Jul 23, 2018 01:03PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about The President Is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson, your hostess is Diane.

Please note no spoilers should be revealed in this discussion.

Summary

As the novel opens, a threat looms. Enemies are planning an attack of unprecedented scale on America. Uncertainty and fear grip Washington. There are whispers of cyberterror and espionage and a traitor in the cabinet. The President himself becomes a suspect, and then goes missing...

Set in real time, over the course of three days, The President Is Missing is one of the most dramatic thrillers in decades. And it could all really happen. The President Is Missing is Bill Clinton and James Patterson's totally authentic and spellbinding thriller.

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 129 comments Is anyone reading? They say write what you know and this is so true of this book. The opening is something that we all know that President Clinton is familiar with from his term in office.

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 129 comments President Clinton has delivered the authenticity of perspective as the POTUS. Do you feel this in the narrative?

message 4: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
I started the book today and read the first nine chapters quickly. I have to admit I was doubtful, really doubtful but this book is good.

President Clinton has delivered the authenticity of perspective as the POTUS. Do you feel this in the narrative?

Absolutely, I can picture Clinton telling this story.

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 129 comments I think they hit the right level of complication with the cyber security issues. It wasn't so difficult to follow.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1201 comments I just started so I'm not very far. I like that it started with some drama.

message 7: by Steffi (new)

Steffi Busch | 3 comments Well, German literary critics are less than enthusiastic about this book. I have now read two reviews in two different magazines, and both gave only a medium rating. And both said that the cyber security issue was not very well done...
I am still inclibed to read this, though.

message 8: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann I'm waiting to get to the top of the queue on my library wait list. :)

message 9: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Aicher | 6 comments It was better than I expected. I think most people will enjoy it.

message 10: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Aicher | 6 comments ⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I started the book today and read the first nine chapters quickly. I have to admit I was doubtful, really doubtful but this book is good.

President Clinton has delivered the authenticity of perspe..."

I agree. I pictured it as Clinton and Patterson sitting down and talking it out. He probably even wrote a more difficult version of it, and Patterson watered it down (in my opinion).

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 129 comments I participated in FEMA cyber-terrorism training at the Southern California water treatment plant. The scenario in the book is "watered" down compared to the training scenario. My understanding is that the President is briefed on these high risk scenarios. President Clinton could have taken any one of these and used it as a basis for a plot.

message 12: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim I have the book but din’t start reading it yet. The most reviews aren’t so postive.

message 13: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
I'm just shy of 1/2 way through it now. I'm enjoying it and that still surprises me.

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1201 comments I enjoyed this and the end surprised me which is always good.

Cristina | 7 comments I am going to start to read the book today...I hope to enjoy it

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 129 comments James Patterson knows how to tell a story and Bill Clinton has the insiders point of view. They make a good team.

message 17: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
I finished and enjoyed it... I'll leave my comments in the other discussion.

message 18: by Parkher (new)

Parkher | 2 comments I hope just a single word "Chernokev" is not a spoiler.
Although - in a sense - it is.
It spoiled the book for me.
Chernokev? Really?
If there are Russians among us perhaps they could confirm that it is complete nonsense. I can understand that the motivation (for legal reasons?) perhaps was to invent a last name that does not exist. But this one cannot exist. I am pretty sure of that. Again, Russians?
Before continuing reading, I am thinking about doing "replace all" in the book to Chernokov (better yet - Chernakov) or to Chernokeev. A difference of one letter, but the book suddenly becomes much more realistic.

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 129 comments I thought it was a made up name and I thought it was chosen so it would be an obviously made up name. Sorry it ruined the credibility of the entire book for you.

message 20: by Parkher (new)

Parkher | 2 comments They could have used a clearly made up root but with a correct ending. Made up but authentic. President Fakenamin. The ending -ev after k looks just weird.
Anyway, I have fixed all 22 occurrences to Chernokin, so now everything is fine.

Diane Mcclure (dmccluredvm) | 129 comments I get what you mean. It is hard to jump over some difficult to ignore some “just wrong” word choices in a book.